Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Glenlivet Tasting - 16th Nov 2007 - Part 1

Re: The Glenlivet Forum Tasting - 16th Nov 2007

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:10 pm

Ok, onto the 15 French Oak (but feel free to keep with the 12 for a while) :D

The Glenlivet 15 French Oak
Nose : Deeper and richer than the 12, more vanilla, light sweet wood, and the bakery is now further down the road.
Palate : Fuller and bigger in the mouth, smooth and creamy, little less sweet and a bit more spice
Finish : Shorter than the 12, lingering tingle, more stewed fruits, plums?
Comment : Think the wood comes through much more in this one, its now late summer, long evenings and ripe fruits....

Ian, what should we be looking for from the French Oak (and what was the 12 in?)

Watering down to 20% I always pick up new notes, allows the lighter esters to break free (or is it the other way round?). For drinking I try and get it to 35%..
Matt2

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:10 pm

Mr Fjeld,

I love what I do with a passion, hopefully those of you have met will have seen that. Been involved in selling and marketing of whisky(a little in other spirits and wines) for over 20 years now. Started with a very small family business in Ayr called Iannotti Bros where I had the best experiences you could wish for. have spent time living in the US as a brand Ambassador. Now after spending time working with retired Master Distiller Jim Cryle I am also making whisky with the Sma'Still at Glenlivet.
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:14 pm

Here are my impressions of the 15 French Oak:

Glenlivet 15yo French Oak
Nose : Fruit compote. The French Oak hints more than boast about its qualities. There's a certain sweetness to it - maybe sweet ginger, cinnamon covered baked apples. Overall, the nose is soft. There's nothing outspoken about it and it's easy to like but perhaps not the right choice for those who look for a strong or bold character.
Palate : Much better! It certainly has structure and the impression of cinnamon and baked apples is strong and lasting. Again, the fruit compote is present as promised by the nose. Gives the impression of keeping the promises found in the nose! An honest whisky :wink: After my second glass of the 15 French Oak (yes I know..... ) I notice it's very malty in the sense that it has a nice sweet fatty quality to it. Butterscotch!
Is there a little "fino-like" taste in there too.
Finish : Finish is long and good too!
Comment : In my opinion it's best described as a good whisky which is rounded and easy to like or subtle rather than grabbing you by the xxxxx! It's also honest in the way that the scents found in the nose are very much confirmed when tasting it. I certainly don't regret buying the bottle. I suppose this whisky is the reason why they invented the word smooth!

Ian, sounds like you have the most interesting job in the world. Fancy swapping with mine in the hotel business :wink:
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:14 pm

Matt Page wrote:Ok, onto the 15 French Oak (but feel free to keep with the 12 for a while) :D
Like I have a choice? Maybe I'll wander into the Fr Oak 12 in a moment.

Muskrat
Last edited by Muskrat Portage on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:14 pm

15yo French oak reserve should be giving you an extra creamy note that wasnt in the 12, also a lovely gentle spiciness especially on the back of the tongue after swallowing. Its new Limousin oak casks that are used for the french oak.
12yo is the vast majority in American wood with a hint of european oak to give the fruit and backbone.
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:17 pm

In case there is a doubt between the terms finish and reserve, a finish must have 100% of the whisky in the wood. While with a reserve only a percentage need to go into the other wood.
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:18 pm

Ian Logan wrote:Mr Fjeld,

I love what I do with a passion, hopefully those of you have met will have seen that. Been involved in selling and marketing of whisky(a little in other spirits and wines) for over 20 years now. Started with a very small family business in Ayr called Iannotti Bros where I had the best experiences you could wish for. have spent time living in the US as a brand Ambassador. Now after spending time working with retired Master Distiller Jim Cryle I am also making whisky with the Sma'Still at Glenlivet.

Ian I did meet you this year at whisky live London. Unfortunately I'd left my guardian of the Glenlivet ID card at home. However a friend of mine was there with his. And you kindly shared the Glenlivet 64 with all 5 of us. It was the first dram of the day for all of us. And I have to say it was the best whisky we tried that day. The thing that did come out was your enthusiasm and joy for what you were doing so thanks for that. And hope to meet you again one day.

:)
les taylor

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:21 pm

I don't have any French Oak, but I've got a 15yo G&M here.

Glenlivet 15 year old: Gordon & Macphail
Nose : Sweeter than the 12yo, but barely so. Apricots, and cooked fruit - stewed apples, orange peel. After a while, nose includes cinnamon & oranges, which is lovely.
Palate : All those flavours I'd anticipated from the nose are there. Sweetness and spice, gingery. More pronounced sweet/spice contrast than the 12. And something smooth and sweet, like Wagon Wheels but not as chocolatey.
Finish : Smoother. Peppery end.
Comment : I like this more than the 12 and it's easier for me to identify in it elements that make it distinctive.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:22 pm

Looks as if I will be at Whisky Live again in London this year, not sure what I will have for the Guardians at the moment though. For me the 1964 is the finest Glenlivet we have put in a bottle.
Look forward to seeing as many as possible of you there.
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:22 pm

The Glenlivet 12 yo French Limosin Oak
Nose : a definite hint of butterscotch as well, with vanilla and a honey scent peeking through
Palate : Nutmeg, spicy, sweet notes, a bit of cereal in there as you swirl.
Finish : Meduim finish, doesn't seem to hang on as long as the American Oak 12 yo although it does dance on the tip of the tongue with a spicyness tingling the roof of the mouth.
Comment : A deeper golden with hints of red than the regular 12 yo has. Am far more pleasing dram than it was last time I tried it

Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:27 pm

Oh, the 64 was exceptional. Ian poured me a rather large glass and shared some with a couple of friends who went around for the rest of day asking every stand if they had anything to compete with it (it was their first experience of whisky)

There is definitly something more spicy in the 15, bigger and fuller mouth feel. Would be interesting to try some just from the French Oak.
Matt2

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:29 pm

OOPS..... not making myself clear. A percentage is removed from its original cask and put into the French oak for a period of tome. Sorry matt.
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:31 pm

I cannot help noticing that many of todays tasting notes are fairly similar! Must be a consistent whisky which is easy for most of us to understand. And equally favourable comments on it too :)
Mr Fjeld

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:34 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I cannot help noticing that many of todays tasting notes are fairly similar! Must be a consistent whisky which is easy for most of us to understand. And equally favourable comments on it too :)

Christian:
We had found this the last time as well, the only variations seemed to be where someone had more life experience and was picking up on flavours other tasters hadn't experienced before.
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:38 pm

Les: and Mrs, Les,
I was wondering how Mrs Les enjoyed the tasting, she being a lady of very discerning tastes. Sorry! meant to ask Treacle Sponge about the G&M.
Peter
Last edited by Muskrat Portage on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:40 pm

Ian, what sort of percentage and for how long (or is that part of the secret recipe? :wink: )

It does all seem to be very consistent, even a couple of IBs i've tried have been basically the same, which I think is quite unusuall.
Matt2

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:42 pm

Just articulating my experience with these two bottles has made me appreciate / understand them much more. I've had the 12 before and dismissed it because it was too light for me. But this tasting has taught me to pay attention to the subtleties and it makes it much more enjoyable. I really like the orange/cinnamon thing going off in my G&M 15yo - very Christmassy :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:43 pm

Sorry Matt, cant say for that one. The lynching mob would be at the gates for me on Monday morning :shock:
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:50 pm

Ian Logan wrote:Sorry Matt, cant say for that one. The lynching mob would be at the gates for me on Monday morning :shock:

Oh well worth a try, I will ask again after you've had a few more drams :wink:

I do sometimes dismiss a Glenlivet on the shelf, thinking I've tried that and understand it. But when I get back to it I'm always happy to find it quite complex with lots going on. Take it for granted sometimes as a big brand always available.
Matt2

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:52 pm

Ah, lost the orange/cinnamon now - it's all turned tosherry sweetness and soft vanilla. Now I wish I'd bought an 18yo for tonight... When I had a pub I used to offer it to customers who were a bit scared of trying whisky cos they expected it to be a burning alcoholic hit. And the 18yo was sooo very smooth it would completely change their perceptions.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:59 pm

Just had to run off to get some Blue Stilton and bread to see how it stands up to the French Oak. And the combination is VERY good!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:05 pm

Treacle, PM me your address I can get samples sent out for next week. And just for you I will have one now. :thumbsup:

The Glenlivet 18
Nose : Restrained, doesn't want to open up, more vanilla again, sherry, lost the lighter floral note of the 12 and 15, deeper and fruitier. Water brings it out a bit more
Palate : It just keeps getting smoother and more creamy, lots of dark? fruits, fruit cake, the bakery is long past on the other side of the hill now
Finish : Quite short, big hit to start but quickly fades to a mellow spicy fruit.
Comment : More berries rather than fruits, definitly moving into Autumn, pefect for a chilly evening after a walk in the country. Still keeps the easy drinking smootheness, with a slight woody bitterness coming through.

Edit : Is there even a hint of coffee in there???? :?
Matt2

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:12 pm

The favourite of both Jim Cryle and I. This for me is the ideal balance of sheey and bourbon matured whiskies in the Glenlivet range.
Cant argue withe tasting notes Matt.... but its such a personal thing we will get different answers from different people.
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:15 pm

Ian Logan wrote:... This for me is the ideal balance of sheey and bourbon matured whiskies in the Glenlivet range.

Sherry as well I would imagine.
:D
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Ian, just a thought: Do the various markets prefer different ages or finishes?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Sales are very much dominated by the 12yo and that will always be the way. We are trying to encourage people to sell in the range as we go along though. The far east seems to sell a bigger percentage of the older age statements but that can be for a few different reasons but the 12yo remains bya long way the biggest variant.
The largest marker for The Glenlivet remains the US where we are no.1 by quite a distance.
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:24 pm

Peter,

There is a lot to be said for an edit button, either that or I just need to take my time.
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:24 pm

Thanks for the reply Ian - hopefully the rest of - or at least more - of the range will be available here too in the future!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm

I'm almost tempted to open my 21 Archive (but I musn't, too many open at the moment and its for a special occassion). But I seem to remember the 21 being more like the 12 and 15, light and floral. The 18 seems to take a side step, much more sherry and richer fruits, but keeps that smooth creamy bit to it.

Shall I compare thee to a Macallan :shock: :oops:

Maybe its time for a visit to the distillery so I can try them all side by side.

Lawschool (and everyone else) - if you are missing any or all of these PM me your address and it will be sent out for next weeks session.

Ian, I've always thought it would be nice to have 1/3 sized bottles, one of each in a set would be nice. But I guess there's alot of work that goes into something like that.
Matt2

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:39 pm

Matt Page wrote: Ian, I've always thought it would be nice to have 1/3 sized bottles, one of each in a set would be nice. But I guess there's alot of work that goes into something like that.

Indeed! Would be great to have more options like this. A gift pack with 20cl bottles representing the whole range would be great for gift purposes and for tasting - what a perfect way to find a favourite!
Mr Fjeld

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:45 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Matt Page wrote: Ian, I've always thought it would be nice to have 1/3 sized bottles, one of each in a set would be nice. But I guess there's alot of work that goes into something like that.

Indeed! Would be great to have more options like this. A gift pack with 20cl bottles representing the whole range would be great for gift purposes and for tasting - what a perfect way to find a favourite!

Yes - we're always hearing about how whisky isn't tapping into this market or that (usually the young and female), but smaller bottles would surely encourage ppl to give the range a try. Whereas to buy as you suggest a set of all 3 is quite a lot of money if you're not sure whether you're going to enjoy the drinks or not.

I like the old-fashioned-style 20cl bottles that DL do for their advance sample Old Malt Cask, and the Whisky Shop used to stock little stocky 20cl bottles for Bruichladdich 20yo too. And tbh, I know I will lose all credibility by admitting it, but I like how cute the small bottles look too :oops:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:45 pm

Seems like its my turn to cook, so I;ve got to go and peel pots and throw a chicken in the oven. Will be back to carry on a bit later. Also got a chocolate fudge cake that I think will go very well with the 18.

:thumbsup:

And out of interest, if you asked for samples last week have they arrived???

Treacle, do you want a pink ribbon on them as well :D :wink:
(waits for a slap)
Matt2

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:48 pm

Nope.
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ian Logan » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:51 pm

Interesting thought about the bottles. The price for a new mould for a new bottle is ridiculous now and all the fun and games it would mean with customs organisations etc. around the world means I can be 99.9% certain in saying no to that one.
The Archive for me is a little woody and tannic, just age creeping in with this one. Leather and tobacco for me. Dark chocolate also, lets get mad and say old church pews also though please dont lick them to see :shock:
the more Guardians etc we see at the distillery the better and if I am around lets hit the sample cupboard
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:55 pm

Ian Logan wrote:old church pews also though please dont lick them to see

That one comes and goes for me. Sometimes really strong, memories of being a St Johns Ambulance flag carrier at midnight mass with an orange and a candle stuck in it. Kind of musky (and no I haven't licked Musky either :wink: )

But worth visiting a church and having a quick sniff around...
Matt2

PreviousNext

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder