Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Other Live Tastings

Re: Other Live Tastings

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:43 am

Other than Ry is there any interest in a blended whisky tasting? If not, Ry and I will set one up at our convenience and invite everyone to join us with what you have.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:56 am

I would be interested, I have Dewars white label (i got it as a gift) JW gold, and I want to get some JW black and teachers.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:17 pm

When did you have in mind? I may well be interested depending on whether I have enough time to get a decent stock.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:40 pm

I have Famous Grouse, Black grouse and the port wood grouse, I may get a few others. I'll send you some samples Nick if your up for the tasting?
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:17 pm

I'll just blend in with you lot. :)
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:52 pm

April-May. Enough time to get some samples together. This is one tasting where I can actually go purchase miniatures and/or 200 ml bottles. JW Red/Black, Chivas 12, J&B are readily available in miniatures. JW Au, Bl in 200 ml. And several others.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ras Mazunga » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Have a few waiting for an occasion like this.
:D
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:20 pm

The blended whisky tasting is coming up for the first part of April. After that we don't have any alternative tastings scheduled. Anyone have some thoughts for maybe a July or August special tasting?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ryguy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Ganga wrote:The blended whisky tasting is coming up for the first part of April. After that we don't have any alternative tastings scheduled. Anyone have some thoughts for maybe a July or August special tasting?

I'm going to suggest Brora and also Japanese Whiskies for our next tasting(s). What do you all think? :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Works for me Ry. :D When for each of these? I think we'll need a little bit of time to get something together for each of these. Thoughts on timing? July, August, September, October?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri May 01, 2009 10:25 pm

Rob Allanson is trying to set up something along the lines of a DE v. non-DE tasting event. I think we can work this into the schedule when he has more details.

I'm going to propose the following schedule of Other Live Tastings. Please give your feedback.

Rye whiskies - June
Canadian whiskies - August
Brora - October
Japanese whiskies - December
World whiskies (NZ, India, etc) - February
Tennessee and other US whiskies (excludes bourbon and rye) - April

Thoughts? I'm flexible. Just thought I'd put out a full fledged suggestion.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sun May 03, 2009 1:37 am

Ganga wrote:Rob Allanson is trying to set up something along the lines of a DE v. non-DE tasting event. I think we can work this into the schedule when he has more details.

I'm going to propose the following schedule of Other Live Tastings. Please give your feedback.

Rye whiskies - June
Brora - October

Thoughts? I'm flexible. Just thought I'd put out a full fledged suggestion.

Sound good Ganga. How about a closed distillery tasting. Some closed distilleries have or could have their own tastings but there are alot of closed distilleries that aren't very easy to get and/or popular such as Littlemill, Braeval, Glen Mhor, Banff, etc.

Other ideas would be doing independent bottler tastings. One could be a Signatory tasting, or a Duncan Taylor tasting, Douglas Laing tasting, etc. and/or we could combine some indie bottlers that are less popular. Just wanted to through some ideas out.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sun May 03, 2009 5:44 pm

Sean, I'd suggest that we make it two regional tastings. Closed/mothballed distilleries from the Lowlands and Highlands. Or we could changed it to demolished and mothballed. I know that several people have already suggested a Brora and PE has been done so these could be kept separate.

Other thoughts?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ryguy » Wed May 06, 2009 8:58 pm

I like the ideas that both Sean and Ganga had. So putting it all together and what I was thinking, I'm going to propose the following. If anyone would like to make any additions or changes, please speak up.

Rye whiskies - June
Independent whiskies - July (The weekend of July 4th maybe)
Brora - October
Closed Lowlands - November
Closed Highlands - January
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu May 07, 2009 3:36 am

Looks good by me. I was thinking that some IB tastings might be in order at some point. Maybe let the first one be sort of free form and maybe start setting up some tastings for Signatory, Duncan Taylor, Douglas Laing in the future.

Also, we could throw in a tasting of "Undeclared" whiskies. McClellands, Lismore, etc.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu May 14, 2009 9:09 pm

No other comments on the proposed tastings and schedule?

Also, reminder that this weekend is the Auchentoshan tasting. Slainte.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Thu May 14, 2009 9:25 pm

Tasting schedule looks fine to me except that I'm struggling to find the time to do one almost every weekend, between this and other places. :)

I'm not going to be around for the Auchentoshan tasting this weekend sadly, because I will be in Ayr.
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Fri May 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Willie, I'm happy for you but sad for us. Love to read your comments on whiskies. Hopefully you can drop in a note or two later on the Auchentoshan.

Also, at some point I'm going to do a Knockando tasting. Sometime over the summer and about a week's notice for everyone. So if you're interested. Look for this one to pop up end of June or into July.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:46 pm

A couple of thoughts for everyone out there.

First, a reminder that the Clynelish Live Tasting is this month (19-21). So bring out your Clynelish and experience some of that wonderful malt from the Northern Highlands.

Second, I want to do a tasting of undeclared malts. I have four and will likely pick up a couple additional ones. I'm thinking that a weekend in July or late June would be good. Look for more information coming.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:51 am

Is the Rye tasting this coming up weekend? I have Old Potrero and Thomas H Hand Sazerac Rye 2008 release for the tasting.

Also have we selected a weekend for the indie bottlers tasting (I believe Ry suggested July 4th weekend but I didn't know if we are going to do it that weekend)?

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:03 pm

Yes Sean, rye this weekend. I will join in when I can, likely more around Saturday evening. I will setup a thread on Friday.

I'm going to suggest that the Independent Bottlings be scheduled to begin July 1 (Canada Day) and run through the weekend. But hey, this is merely a suggestion and I'm sure Musky and others will want their say.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Ganga wrote:Second, I want to do a tasting of undeclared malts. I have four and will likely pick up a couple additional ones.

Hmm, I have a load of those. Especially Islays. Need to get organised though.
Willie JJ

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:52 am

Ganga wrote:Yes Sean, rye this weekend. I will join in when I can, likely more around Saturday evening. I will setup a thread on Friday.

I'm going to suggest that the Independent Bottlings be scheduled to begin July 1 (Canada Day) and run through the weekend. But hey, this is merely a suggestion and I'm sure Musky and others will want their say.

Ganga, good idea to start it July 1st and have it run through the weekend as some people may have a large number of indies (I have about 10).

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:21 am

How about a Diageo special release tasting. After doing my tasting tonight of the six that I have, I think that it could be enjoyable to trade notes on them.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:27 pm

I see no specific dates on the suggested schedule but Canadian whiskies are coming up here for August. I'd suggest that we do Canadian whiskies either the last weekend of August or first in September.

What say you? Canadians, do you have some suggestions?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:32 am

I am looking forward to the Canadian whisky tasting, as I have a 750ml bottle of Forty Creek Barrel Select and 50ml bottles of Canadian Mist, Seagrams Vo Canadian, Crown Royal and Crown Royal Reserve.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:48 am

Which weekend works best Sean? I am indifferent but appreciate the chance to learn something about Canadian whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:52 am

Ganga wrote:Which weekend works best Sean? I am indifferent but appreciate the chance to learn something about Canadian whiskies.

Doesn't really matter to me though I might have a slight preference for the 29th of August. I haven't had many Canadian whiskies so I am looking forward to this.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Sean, I picked up four samples to join you in. Hopefully, we'll find someone to gives us some further insights into Canadian whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 pm

So is anyone going to come out for the Canadian whiskies? Look for me on Saturday (evening for the UK folk).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:09 pm

Ganga wrote:So is anyone going to come out for the Canadian whiskies? Look for me on Saturday (evening for the UK folk).

I will be on during Sat. also. I have seven canadian whiskies to sample.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Holysinner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:33 am

I'll be there with my lone Canadian (Forty Creek Barrel Select). I always read the notes with interest but haven't had a bottle to match the tasting before. I'm strongly considering picking up the FC Double Barrel Reserve, a little peer pressure could push me over the edge. :wink:
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:35 am

Holysinner wrote:I'll be there with my lone Canadian (Forty Creek Barrel Select). I always read the notes with interest but haven't had a bottle to match the tasting before. I'm strongly considering picking up the FC Double Barrel Reserve, a little peer pressure could push me over the edge. :wink:

HS, get it, I had it at a tasting a while back and enjoyed it.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Holysinner » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:23 am

pkt77242 wrote:
Holysinner wrote:I'll be there with my lone Canadian (Forty Creek Barrel Select). I always read the notes with interest but haven't had a bottle to match the tasting before. I'm strongly considering picking up the FC Double Barrel Reserve, a little peer pressure could push me over the edge. :wink:

HS, get it, I had it at a tasting a while back and enjoyed it.

Sean

Thanks for the encouragement Sean, I picked up the Double Barrel.

Also grabbed 3 mini's (Crown Royal, Wiser's, and Seagram's 7 Crown)...but looking at the bottle of Seagram's 7 it says American Whisky, and on the back 66% grain spirits. So I take it Seagram's 7 isn't Canadian. Is it even considered whisky at all with that much grain neutral spirits, or is it whisky blended with vodka?

Either way, I think it will have to be relegated to a mixer and not part of this tasting.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:47 pm

I had a strange thought last night while dramming (it happens often). :insane:

Would anyone be interested in doing a personal vattings tasting? I just thought I'd throw it out there, if there is any interest we can put it together.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder