Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

October 4, Irish Whisky Tasting

October 4, Irish Whisky Tasting

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Willie said:
Right you are Stuart. We need two lists; one for either side of the Atlantic. Once that is established then it is clearer how many samples we are likely to be dealing with.

Provisionally:

North America:
Ryguy
Ganga
Mikeymad?
Wave?

Europe:
The Tross
Willie JJ
Collector57

Cathach I'm not sure if you're just helping us out, or if you're also going to play so I haven't put you in the list, but it would be great if you joined.

We need to pin down the players fairly soon to manage samples, so if anyone else is in then update the list with your name in it in a new post.

Wrt to bottles, Cadenheads have some single cask Cooley if I remember correctly. It might be fun to have something like that in the mix, or perhaps we should focus on more widely available bottles.

I thought it would be better to focus this into a thread indicating more than a discussion of "Other Tastings". This is now the October 4, Irish Whisky thread.

I'm not sure that we need to poll but rather discuss what we should have. Willie, US hasn't gotten Cadenhead bottlings in about 7 or 8 years. However, we have a MMcD Cooley.

I like the idea of getting something that represents blends, singles, pps and grains. We need to discuss this and also we need to get word out to others that have expressed interest in these other types of tastings.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: October 4, Irish Whisky Tasting

Postby Ryguy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Ganga wrote:
I thought it would be better to focus this into a thread indicating more than a discussion of "Other Tastings". This is now the October 4, Irish Whisky thread.

I'm not sure that we need to poll but rather discuss what we should have. Willie, US hasn't gotten Cadenhead bottlings in about 7 or 8 years. However, we have a MMcD Cooley.

I like the idea of getting something that represents blends, singles, pps and grains. We need to discuss this and also we need to get word out to others that have expressed interest in these other types of tastings.

I also like the idea of trying something that represents the 4 categories. Single Malts, Grains, Pure Pot Stills and Blends as well. And if we can throw an IB in the mix that would be good too. As far as I'm concerned 5 different samples would be great.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Yes good to cross the categories.

Ryan's suggestion of 5 samples sounds fine, but how do we organise this? Is it two groups of five on either side with each member of each group buying a bottle and passing samples on to the other four, or does one person on each side collect the cash and distribute the samples?

Also does this mean we limit the thing to 5 on each side?

I think we need to have a plan.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Also does this mean we limit the thing to 5 on each side?

I think we need to have a plan.

This would be my main concern. If you have a lot of members taking part the whole thing could end up being rather chaotic and unworkable. Also bear in mind that the sample size we choose automatically limits the number able to take part, unless some members already have expression(s) available or multiple bottles of each are bought and split - but then it ends up being unnecessarily expensive.

So I think we do need to choose an arbitrary number just for simplicity. What that is eventually based on I don't know, but as I said in a post on the Other Tastings thread, a generally-accepted sample size of 50ml equals a max of 14 samples from 70cl bottles (15 from 75cl bottles), so maybe a max of 14 taking part in a bottle split, with other members able to join in if they already have that bottling available.

That said, if people want to reserve part of a bottle for themselves then the number of samples you get from it obviously decreases.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:22 pm

I think we organize each side based on convenience to the participants. In our case, it is likely better to have one purchase and distribute as some would have to have the bottles shipped first.

I also see no problem with having more than 5 from a side if the above option is taken. For the US, 5 people splitting gets each 150 ml of each.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:36 pm

5 doesn't seem many to me. Maybe 7 is better and then we can have 100ml samples, which is also a handy bottle size.

If less than 7 sign up then you just keep the end of the bottle.
Willie JJ

Postby TheTross » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:50 pm

7 sounds good to me Willie. More manageable than 14 at any rate!

So is this to be done on a first-come, first-served basis then? If so, anyone wanting to take part that hasn't already said had better act soon :D
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:56 pm

Ganga, I have some 100ml bottles (4) that'll help out with this. I'll work on getting them empty real soon. We'll work it out after we figure out what we're tasting.

I'd like to nominate a Redbreast, Connenara and a Greenore (or any other single grain, if there is one). As for the blend, and IB, whatever is available. But like I said, I'm very flexible, I haven't tried any of these, so if anyone would rather try something else, it's ok with me.

I agree with Willie, 7 people on each side would be an ideal number to me, everyone gets approx 100ml each. If its less, ok with me, if its more, also ok with me. :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Just saw this guys .... excellent :thumbsup:

You would have to make sure that what you want to taste is available on both sides too. We maybe could organise one special bottle at 50ml per person. Anything more gets too messy ....

Okay what I would suggest is to make a pick from the following

Bushmills

Blackbush (Excellent blend over 70% malt)
Bushmills 10yo (Single Malt) light
Bushmills 16yo (Single Malt) named the best Irish malt numerous times but can't see it my self :o
Knappogue Castle 1995 (Seems to have a decent cult following)

I could organise a 13yo 1989 Single (bourbon) Cask @ 56.5% 70Euro for the bottle

Midleton

Jameson Nas (Boring baseline whiskey from the Jameson range)
Jameson 12yo (PPS based blend with sherry influence)
Jameson Gold
Powers Gold Label (Best bog standard Blend and purely a Bourbon barrel blend)
Powers Gold Label 12yo (As above but better :wink: )
Redbreast 12yo (PPS) seems to be the only pps available in most places

I could organise a Greenspot 39Euro a bottle
Jameson 18yo (managed to get one for 85Euro in Germany even though it is 125 here :o )

Cooley

Connemara NAS (Peated Single Malt)
Greenore 8yo (Grain) (The 15yo is much better but whether it is available or not I'm not sure and too expensive imo.
Locke's 8yo (Lightly Peated Single Malt) pleasent
Tyrconnell NAS (Single MAlt) getting better every year as the stock matures

I could organise Tyrconnell 10yo Maderia, Port or Sherry Finish 46% 65-75Euro each
First Spirits Single Cask ( Peated Cooley) 46% 50Euro (IB for french market)

Anything more exotic and we are talking over 100Euro (e.g. Midleton is 150Euro in Ireland and in my opinion not worth it.)

All Whiskies 40% unless otherwise stated
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ryguy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Thanks for the info IWC, good to have you on board!! :D :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:44 pm

Collector57 wrote:My only concern is one we discussed elsewhere - appearing to set up an "elite" group if we limit to 7.
This is where the difficulty lies isn't it? If we knew how many wanted to be in each tasting in plenty of time we could choose whether to get one bottle or two and how big to make the sample.

If we don't, we need to make a judgement call.
Personally I'll happily go either way - but what when more people want to join in?

Good point Nick ... we don't want to exclude anybodye.

Some people like myself will have bottles open anyway so I can step aside anyway in the samples line up department.

Still up for organising an uncommon bottle or could even do it as a mystery malt. I have no sample bottles though and cannot seem to get them where I am :(
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:53 pm

Right now it looks like about 4 and 4.

Should we select 4 or 5 and try to get word out inviting others to join in?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:07 pm

I agree that we don't want to make an elite group, but since we are feeling our way here it may be sensible to propose some parameters for this first outing.

If we end up with (say) 14 folk in the Euro area and 7 in North America then I would suggest splitting into 3 groups with each group responsible for the distribution of samples internally. Otherwise the postal Logistics will become unmanageable. If numbers are 8 or 9 per area then we can reduce the sample size slightly. From 10 or more there are viable separate groups.

I have to say though we may be worrying about nothing as the normal tastings haven't attracted huge numbers, even with free samples. Let's see who declares an interest.

Adrian, I'm sure we can sort out sample bottles somehow. Let's find out what's required first.
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:43 am

Could we maybe tie this into Malty's tastings? He has an Irish whiskey selection. If this doesn't work, so be it.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ryguy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:28 pm

I agree with what's been said above, and I do want others to feel welcome. But based on the general number of people participating in the Monthly Live Tastings, we are only missing a few. It's also very possible that we'll get more or less interest each time, based on what we are tasting.

So I say we go with it, select the bottles to be tasted Oct 4th, work it out between us (in 2 groups US/UK), and if more people show interest and want to join in before hand, we figure it out when the time comes.

So who's selecting bottles? I mentioned a couple above, as did IWC, any thoughts.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby cathach » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:38 pm

Just to let the EU group know that I'd be happy to contribute to a tasting if we can sort numbers out and sample bottles.
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:29 pm

Ok the groups are shaping up now, although we still need confirmation from Mikey and Wave and hopefully we can get more interested parties:

North America:
Ryguy
Ganga
Mikeymad?
Wave?

Europe:
The Tross
Willie JJ
Collector57
Irishwhiskeychaser
Cathach

At the moment if everyone contributes a bottle then we appear to have have 4 samples in the US and 5 in the EU. I guess the thing to do is create a numbered bottle list of bottles 1-7 and then we buy as much of the list as we have members for (starting from the top so that we have common drams on either side of the pond). We can sort out who is buying what once we know what needs buying.

I would suggest that there is little merit in me offering opinions on what we should buy since I know so little about Irish whiskey. What about IWC and Cathach coming up with their top 7 and then the US folk can check for availability?

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:42 pm

I checked with wave. He goes back to midnights and doesn't consume while on these shifts. He didn't mention if he'd be interested in having some to try aftwerwards.

I'll check with Mikey.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:08 pm

I'd love to join you, but I think I'm on Islay on October 4. If you need any help with sourcing bottles, let me know.
Aidan

Postby mikeymad » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:40 pm

I don't have time to read through this entire thread right now. But if the plan is to buy some bottles of booze, split them up and drink them. I don't think that I have any problems with that. Seems like another day at the office...

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby cathach » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:43 am

Willie JJ wrote:I would suggest that there is little merit in me offering opinions on what we should buy since I know so little about Irish whiskey. What about IWC and Cathach coming up with their top 7 and then the US folk can check for availability?

Cheers

I think the list I had in the other thread or what IWC has would be a good entry to irish whiskey. Two from each category maybe? As well as a single grain?

I could contribute a Greenore 8/Greenspot/Redbreast 12/Knappogue 1994 (10yo Bushmills Boubon Cask non-coloured) to the EU tasting anyway.
James 12/Black Bush/Powers/Tyrconnel/Connemara would be cheaper in the UK/EU/USA
cathach
Silver Member

Postby IainB » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:03 am

Bizarrely on October 4th I know of at least one Irish forum member who will be somewhere between Islay and Glasgow making his way back from a 4 day Arran / Campbelltown / Islay distillery and drinking trip, and therefore would not be able to participate in such an event. (That's me by the way).
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:19 pm

I've been pondering a little bit about what to have for Irish. I don't think we have to be rigid about whether everyone has the same drams or not. It would be good to have at least a few in common.

Since Wave is not likely able to participate, I'm going to discuss this with Ryan and Mikey off-line. I'd suggest Red Breast as one in common between UK and NA.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:42 pm

Dooohhh???? :headbang:

Just realised that that week-end is our Wedding Anniversary ..... I don't think Mrs Chaser will be too impressed if I don't take her away for the week-end so I'll have to rule myself out.

Sorry guys .... still if ye are looking for anything special or hard to get let me know.

Cheers

Adrian

P.S. Iain ... your a glutton for punishment second year in a row on the Islay trip ... have fun and enjoy :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby IainB » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:44 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Dooohhh???? :headbang:

Just realised that that week-end is our Wedding Anniversary ..... I don't think Mrs Chaser will be too impressed if I don't take her away for the week-end so I'll have to rule myself out.

Sorry guys .... still if ye are looking for anything special or hard to get let me know.

Cheers

Adrian

P.S. Iain ... your a glutton for punishment second year in a row on the Islay trip ... have fun and enjoy :thumbsup:

Why not take her to Islay??
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:49 pm

Participants dropping like flies.

Adrian, my anniversary is the Mortlach tasting. Advantage: tasting starts in the morning; should be sober for the evening. :P
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby TheTross » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:52 pm

I'm in the same boat as Willie et al regarding knowledge - or lack, thereof - of Irish whiskeys. If those more in the know can be pretty much unanimous in deciding on a bottling or two in each category - Pure Pot Still, Blend, Grain and Single Malt - then we can get the list finalised and move onto who'll be buying what.

I will say though that personally I'd like to try a Redbreast or two, any Powers (just because of the reputation it has) and Knappogue Castle, but there's more than one vintage (1994 and 1995 available at TWE) - a chance to compare vintages, perhaps?
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:59 pm

IainB wrote:
Why not take her to Islay??

I asked her to come last year and she laughed at me as if I was a crazy man :o

She is softening to the idea of a half and half holiday/whisky jaunt to Scotland ... so I can't rush it :(

Taking your dad with you this time Iain?
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ganga » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:04 pm

I keep trying to get my wife to go to Scotland. :D Laughing hysterically would be an improvement. :oops:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ryguy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:50 pm

Ganga wrote:I keep trying to get my wife to go to Scotland. :D Laughing hysterically would be an improvement. :oops:

I've already convinced mine to come with me to Scotland. Now it's just finding the time and the money. I'm hoping to make the trip for our 10th Anniversary.

Once I reminded her that they have castles in Scotland, and we could also spend the night in one....that's all it took. Then I told her about this really cool island that we'd be visiting..........
:D :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:33 am

ryguy wrote:
Ganga wrote:I keep trying to get my wife to go to Scotland. :D Laughing hysterically would be an improvement. :oops:

I've already convinced mine to come with me to Scotland. Now it's just finding the time and the money. I'm hoping to make the trip for our 10th Anniversary.

Once I reminded her that they have castles in Scotland, and we could also spend the night in one....that's all it took. Then I told her about this really cool island that we'd be visiting..........
:D :D :D

Same situation here - the wife is keyed to go, we'd be taking the in-laws, who, strangely, I get along with - and the FIL is a single malt man. :thumbsup:

So Scotland is a definite destination, but have to find the time and money. . .probably a few year off yet. . . :(
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:20 am

When's #10, ryguy? Maybe we can key you in and make a group gathering...at least for the whisky portion. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ryguy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:47 pm

Ganga wrote:When's #10, ryguy? Maybe we can key you in and make a group gathering...at least for the whisky portion. :thumbsup:

2013 for us Ganga. And a group gathering is definitely a great idea. :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby cathach » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:46 pm

TheTross wrote:I'm in the same boat as Willie et al regarding knowledge - or lack, thereof - of Irish whiskeys. If those more in the know can be pretty much unanimous in deciding on a bottling or two in each category - Pure Pot Still, Blend, Grain and Single Malt - then we can get the list finalised and move onto who'll be buying what.

I will say though that personally I'd like to try a Redbreast or two, any Powers (just because of the reputation it has) and Knappogue Castle, but there's more than one vintage (1994 and 1995 available at TWE) - a chance to compare vintages, perhaps?

Well it all depends on how many bottles ye'd like to get.

Pure Pot Still:
Greenspot
Redbreast 12yo
Redbreast 15yo

Each of the above is a great whiskey. Trouble is only the 1st two are available in the U.S. and the RB 15 is becoming very scarce in the E.U.

Single Grain:
Greenore 8yo
Greenore 15yo
Milroy's of Soho 16yo Cooley Single Grain.

The first is available widely but the second is not and won't be in the U.S. until November or so I'm told. The third is only in the U.K.

Single Malt:
Bushmills 10yo
Bushmills 16yo
Bushmills 21yo
Connemara
Connemara Cask Strength
Connemara 12yo
Lockes' 8yo
Tyrconnell
Tryconnell 10yo Port/Sherry/Madeira Finish
Tyrconnell 15yo Single Cask

Most of the above are available in U.S./U.K. but the price on some of them esp. the Bushmills is a killer.

Blends:
Black Bush
Bushmills 1608
Jameson
Jameson 12yo
Jameson Gold
Jameson 18yo
Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve
Kilbeggan
Lockes
Paddy
Powers
Powers 12yo

And these are just the OBs!!!

I made some suggestions earlier, but perhaps if someone put up a poll (IWC/WillieJJ???) and we might pick and get around to sorting bottles out
Ideally the poll would exclude expressions not available in either of the 2 regions
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:02 pm

I will be doing some checking around the Southland this weekend. I am checking for some of the availability of various whiskies and miniatures. So far, it looks like I can get minis of the regular Bushmill and Jameson. I think I can get miniatures of Tyrconnell. There is some potential for a Bushmills BB and 10 yo - I've seen these in the past.

I would suggest the RB 12 for the PPS. It seems to be the one most readily available.
Ganga
Matured cask

Next

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder