Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

September 27th live & online with Malty

Online tasting with Malty on Sept. 27th

1. Irish
7%
2. Summer Fruits
7%
3. Full Bodied
7%
4. Peat & Smoke
11%
5. Islands
4%
6. Woods
No votes
7. Regions
4%
8. Landlord's Choice
37%
9. Malty's Mania
15%
10. A different selection (Specifiy what you would like in your post)
7%

Total votes : 27

Re: September 27th live & online with Malty

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:56 pm

Collector57 wrote:I'm also going to add a Loch Ewe just given to me by my dinner guest.

Wow Nick! Can you tell us more? Is it aged or raw? Tell us (me) :D
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:00 pm

Now for one of the great A'bunadhs
Willie JJ

Postby mikeymad » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:17 pm

Sure sounds like an interesting beverage C57...

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:19 pm

Did your friend make the whisky himself Nick?
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:35 pm

Aberlour A'Bunadh, Batch 20

Nose: Loaded with mighty oranges, but all tied up in a lovely christmas cake. the wood exerts itself hardly at all here, except maybe to offer a little background vanilla, but very light. There is huge sherry influence though with oloroso, chocolate and a lovely butteryness.
Palate: Oranges and spice with coffee. Jam, candied fruit, mixed peel, fruit cake. Not a trace of sulphur that I can detect. One of the best sherried drams I've ever had.
Finish: Just seems to go on forever. The spice is there, but not too drying and the fruit retains a wonderful presence throughout.

If you ever see a bottle of batch 20 just buy it.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:42 pm

Collector57 wrote:Loch Ewe was linked on the Smallest Distillery thead Willie. A hotel with a miniature still.

Yeah I know a little about it Nick. I ran into a guy from the Netherlands, in a bar in Callander last year, who had just finished making whisky at the place and he told me something about it.

Haven't tried it though. I agree with Mikey, it sounds really interesting.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:54 pm

Sadly finished the batch 20 now. Time for the last dram in the Landlord's choice.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:13 am

Ardbeg Almost There

A wee bit of Ardie fun:

Nose: Ah, peat-reek and creosote and tar and TCP and carbolic and new leather. And vanilla and Horlicks and grist.
Palate: Lots of strong peaty flavours that follow the nose. Bit like drinking a peat fire (I know, I know, you can't really do that).
Finish: long and delicious.

Great stuff but Renaissance is so much better.
Willie JJ

Postby Ryguy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:20 am

Nice drams Willie & Nick! Great notes too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:43 am

Hi folks,
please accept my apologies. In the middle of this great tasting I just fell asleep :dead:

That day was too much. A very good day, but too much.
I awoke (at my desk) abaout an hour later and was awake enough to just shut down and take myself off to bed.
After a good few hours sleep I have returned to see how you enjoyed the drams and find one half-empty beer and a half-finished batch #20 sitting here looking at me.

Breakfast?
No thanks, not these. :lol:

I'll look back at your notes and see what I think or if I can add anything.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:50 am

Renaissance or Almost There? :?

This is a good question.
Flavour-wise they are quite different. That extra year made a difference. But which do I prefer.
I haven't tried a direct head to head, but I have tried both on several occasions and when drinking the 'R' I always ask myself this question.

It's a close one to call as I like the 'AT', or at least the flavour / palate.
However, the 'R' is a much more solid dram, perhaps because of the extra strength.

So, which one?
I'll stick my neck out and say that at the moment, maybe the 'AT' just edges it for me as an everyday dram.
But the 'R' is great as a one-off or more infrequent dram.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:58 am

Whilst on the subject of Ardbeg, I eagerly await the notes from those who have an Oogling from me.

This is a quite exceptional dram and probably the most 'in yer face' Ardbeg I have ever tried. Far more than the original Oogy.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:11 am

Thanks Willie, good notes for the Blair Atholl.

I just looked back to try and find my own notes from when I tried this. I was sure they were here online somewhere, ut sadly I can't find them.

Anyway, I agree totally that this is a very good whisky and as it's quite prominent on my shelf, it's quite popular with people looking for something unusual that they haven't tried before.

I agree with most that you have said here, I remember likening it to Christmas cake with those flavours (sherry, nuts, candied fruit, slight orange ..).

As for batch #20; I know where there are maybe three bottles ......... But I can't see them staying there too much longer.
(I even saw a batch #19 in the same cabinet, is this one any good?)
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:15 am

Collector57 wrote:Nadurra CS

Nose: Vanilla, oak, Camp coffee
Palate: Sweet, vaniila and lemons (like lemon meringue), ginger like the 48% but less so
Finish: Pretty long and quite hot spicy (like the ginger)

Nick (C57), I just read your Nadurra notes and need to ask if you detected any apricot or peach flavours?

I love this Nad CS as for me, it exhibits all those wonderful summer fruit sensations like apricot and peach. Although I have to say they become more prominent with the addition of 3-4 drops of water.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:20 am

For those who have the Royal Brackla, here are my own notes from a while ago:

It is a German IB from "The Whisky Companion" and was a whisky used by Malt Maniac Pit Krause in one of his tastings at my pub. He offered me a dram, but as I was driving that day I had to refuse. However, I ordered two bottles just on the strength of the nose, it made that much impression on me.

If you like a lighter dram with a floral character, then you'll love this one!

Royal Brackla an IB from "The Companion", 25y 46%

Nose:
Lots of light herbs, slightly dry and faint hints of liquorice. On further nosing I am getting just a trace of straw, as stored in a barn.

Palate: This one is initially slow. Most of the flavours burst through the aftertaste and are not so evident in the initial taste. At first it seemed quite insignificant, but only for a couple of seconds before the explosion hit.
Those herby & floral notes are splendid and are mostly concentrated on the back, not the front of the tongue. The aftertaste sits purely on the back of the tongue and is one of delicate liquorice.

Further tastes help concentrate the same flavours with that intial floral herbiness followed swiftly by a full, but not too fierce assault of liquorice on the back of the tongue, also making the extreme sides of the mouth water.

Overall impression: This is a good whisky, very good, but quite unusual in the experience it gives. The flavours are very delicate in a powerful kind of way. Initial floral and herb notes turn quickly into a more prominent liquorice which lingers for some time.

I really like this one, not just for the flavours, but for the very different overall experience it gives.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:26 am

Some took the Port Ellen 2nd Edition, here are my notes for this one:

Port Ellen, 2nd Release, Bottle No. 1141, 59.35%
Glass:
Adelphi

Nose: Linseed, Scottish sea air, grass and straw

Palate: Very smooth and surprisingly sweet, but lots of burn from all that alcohol. The aftertaste is very herbal.

Let's try with a little water now.....

With water: (4 drops in 2cl) The sea air and straw are enhanced on the nose.
Deliciously smooth on the tongue and tingling the front and rear of the tongue simultaneously, whilst leaving the middle alone!
Lovely herbal flavours whilst slightly oily and wonderfully smooth with the sweetness remaining, albeit not quite so prominent now.

3 Further drops of water: A little smokiness is starting to develop amongst that straw. For a fleeting second I had a slight taste of one of those liquorice allsorts which comprises liquorice wrapped in a coconut tyre.

Overall Impression: This is an excellent dram and one which shall return to in a few days time. Probably experimenting with a little more water as this time around, it improved both times when I added a few drops.
Lovely!!!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:35 am

I've looked further and still can't find my batch #20 notes, but as I didn't pour all my sample last night and as I hope to be home early again today .... I'll re-taste it and do it live.

Finally (for now) I'll say a big "Thank you" to Willie and C57 for joining in here and when the rest of the samples arrive please add your notes for them here.

I am especially looking forward to seeing some of those notes for a couple of the more outstanding drams!
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:58 am

Hopefully see you later this evening C57 with my batch #20.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:45 am

I just realised that I still have my sample of 1955, 38y Talisker.

A real 'star' for this evening! :D
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:41 am

Hi Keith
I hope you got some sleep and are feeling a bit better.

In response to your comments/questions:

Malt-Teaser wrote:Renaissance or Almost There? :?
I'll stick my neck out and say that at the moment, maybe the 'AT' just edges it for me as an everyday dram.
But the 'R' is great as a one-off or more infrequent dram.

The way that the Renaissance works for me is if it is the drink of the evening. By the time I have had two or three the flavours are developing in a way that makes me crave more. As a result I have almost finished my 5th bottle. The AT doesn't do that in the same way for me, so I have only drunk a couple of those in a much longer time. I know that amount drunk may be a crude way of measuring enjoyment, but both are equally available and the AT is £10 cheaper, yet it is always the AR that I reach for when in the shop. Its simply because as a session dram the AR is unequalled imo.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:48 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:(I even saw a batch #19 in the same cabinet, is this one any good?)

Actually I don't have a clue. I never saw this one, or batch 18, around Edinburgh. I don't know if I was sleeping, but it seemed like it went from 17 to 20 and 18 & 19 went elsewhere (Germany for example :wink: )
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:55 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:For those who have the Royal Brackla, ...

If you like a lighter dram with a floral character, then you'll love this one!

I didn't notice this one but wish I had. Every time I try Brackla it delivers a wonderful experience, especially at cask strength. Another under-rated dram imo.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Some took the Port Ellen 2nd Edition

I already had some, but I'm not in the house and didn't think to bring it. Anyway, I would probably have saved it for the upcoming PE tasting next weekend.

Malt-Teaser wrote:"Thank you" to Willie and C57 for joining in

My pleasure. Thanks for doing all the organising, bottling and posting. I know how much work that is and I know you didn't get rich off it so thanks for taking the time.

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:24 pm

I am quite tempted to get the #19 anyway. Either it will be a great and similar to the #20, or it will be not so good and help to show exactly how good the #20 really is!

BTW, I'm posting from the pub so I'm only here for a short time.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:05 am

I really have to agree with you there C57.

Now, another crazy day, this time with NFL means I get home after 2am.
I need a quick drink!

An Cnoc 1991 bloody good.

You know what - Batch #20 Best Christmas pud in a glass, ever!

That's it for tonight.
G'night all,
MT
Deactivated Member

Previous

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder