Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

November 15 Irish Whiskey Tasting

Re: November 15 Irish Whiskey Tasting

Postby cathach » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:13 pm

royalmilewhiskies.co.uk have

single malt:
Connemara 1992 sc ncf 46% @ £44.95
Connemara 12yo 40% @ £54.95
Tyrconnell 10yo Port/Madeira/Sherry ncf 46% @ £44.95
Tryconnell 15yo sc ncf 46% @ £49.95
Knappgue Castle 1995 nc ncf @ £

blend:
Bushmills 1608 ncf @ £48.95

thewhiskyexchange.com

single malt:
Connemara 1992 sc ncf 46% @ £43.99
Connemara 12yo 40% @ £52.49
Bushmills 1989 sherry cask ncf cask strength 53.7% @ £86.99
Knappogue Castle 1995 nc ncf 40% @ £29.99
Locke's 8yo 40% @ £25.99
Tyrconnell 15yo sc ncf 46% @ £45.99

single grain:
Greenore 15yo single grain ncf 43% @ £48.99

blend:
Jameson Gold 40% @ £44.99
Jameson 18yo 40% @ £69.99

milroys of soho:

single malt:
Connemara 12yo 40% @ £50.00
Knappogue Castle 1995 nc ncf 40% @ £27.49
Lockes 8yo 40% @ £24.95
Tyconnell 10yo Port Finish ncf 46% @ £44.90

single grain:
Milroys Cooley 16yo sc ncf 46% @ £45

blend:
Bushmills 1608 ncf 46% @ £49.95
Jameson Gold 40% @ £50.00
Jameson 18yo 40% @ £75.00

Thats just to give you an idea of whats out there, best value for money though is probably the Cadenhead Cooley 15yo cask strength @ £49.50 if you can still get it.
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Cathach (and IWC, Aidan and DavidH), what Nick and I were suggesting (forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here) is that we could each buy a bottle that none of the Irish gang have so that we could participate in swapping with you for the tasting (assuming that you would wish to participate in such a venture). The problem is that we don't know what you don't have/haven't tried. If you could decide amongst yourselves what best fits the bill then we will buy it and send samples to you in return for samples of something else from you.

I think I can offer something different anyway. A certain independent bottler is about to release a new 16yo from a certain distillery, (neither in the North nor the far South of Ireland), in October and it is very good indeed. I would be happy to get that and share it around. However if you'd prefer something else then that's fine too.

Any thoughts on such an arrangement?
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby DavidH » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:27 pm

I'd like to opt out of the passing around of samples on this occasion. I'm ruthlessly pruning my various activities to try and get a long overdue venture launched.

I'll just run with whatever is on my shelf on November 15 (I only stock Irish anyway :) ).
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby TheTross » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:49 pm

As I posted in the PE tasting thread, I'm desperately trying not to buy any whisky for an indefinite period, which rules me out of buying a bottle specifically for it. It also prevents me from buying a bottle for this tasting to share with everyone involved, so as with DavidH I'm afraid I'll be skipping swapping samples. I do have a couple of Irish whiskeys available - all Clontarf - so I'll just taste those. Unfortunately though, none of the bottles have enough contents for sample swaps.

I'll also have to pass on receiving samples for the tasting in exchange for any other whisky; as much as I'd love to do this, I'm not at all reliable with attending tastings and there's usually a good chance I'll end up being elsewhere, so I don't want to end up with a good selection of Irish drams and not be able to take part. Besides, I feel that that would be abusing the generosity of people here, which I'm not willing to do.

So just to sum up: I'll still be taking part with the tasting IF I'm around to do so, but I won't be able to buy a bottle to share with everyone or swap samples, for which I apologise.

I hope I've not let anyone down by doing this :(
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:16 pm

No problem guys. It just seems like a good idea for those that want to play. Hopefully its not just Nick and myself. :)

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby TheTross » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:42 pm

It's a very good idea Willie, and one that I was more than happy to join in with until I realised I'm simply spending far too much on whisky and need to get out of the habit. Hopefully I'll be able to dedicate some funds to the hobby again at some point, when I'll gladly share a bottle or two for these tastings, but I just can't see it happening in the near future.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:01 pm

TheTross wrote: I was more than happy to join in with until I realised I'm simply spending far too much on whisky and need to get out of the habit.

I understand where you are coming from Stuart. You just have more will-power than me.

It'll all end in tears at this end. :o
Willie JJ

Postby Ras Mazunga » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:54 pm

I'm ready. Partly anyway, receeived 85 sample bottles for FREE. A generous uncle working at a chemical plant. :empty: :empty: :empty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:56 pm

Participant update:

North America
Ryguy
Ganga
Mikeymad
Lohssanami
Wave
Jobi

Europe
The Tross
Willie JJ
Collector57
Cathach
Irishwhiskychaser
Aidan
DavidH
Ras Mazunga

If I have missed anyone I apologize, as everyone is welcome. :D

If anyone else is interested in joining in, please speak up. For members in the US, I have a bottle of the Jameson Irish NAS and also Redbreast 12yo, in which I'll be sending out samples to the group. Also it seems as though 50ml minis of some others being tasted are readily available here in the States.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby IainB » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi all don't know if I'm around yet but will make it if I can.
By the way, if there's any shortfall of samples let me know and I'll see what I can do. I wonder should we consider adding the Redbreast 15 (I know it's late to be saying this) but it seems to be the one we talk about most. Between all of us who have it we should be able to drum up a few sample to pass around.

By the way, IWC, I'm fairly certain I've read that it's 6000 cases, i.e. 36,000 bottles.

Come to think of it, one of Mitchell's shops is across the road. I'll pop in and ask them.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:31 pm

Just to let the Euro folks know, we in the US have been coordinating behind the scenes. We're still short a few things but all is looking good for getting samples to everyone here in October/November.

I'm really excited about this one. Why? Well, I've tried about 100 SMS for each of the Irish ones I've tried. I really don't know that much about Irish whiskey. :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby cathach » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:29 am

Willie JJ wrote:Cathach (and IWC, Aidan and DavidH), what Nick and I were suggesting (forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here) is that we could each buy a bottle that none of the Irish gang have so that we could participate in swapping with you for the tasting (assuming that you would wish to participate in such a venture). The problem is that we don't know what you don't have/haven't tried. If you could decide amongst yourselves what best fits the bill then we will buy it and send samples to you in return for samples of something else from you.

I think I can offer something different anyway. A certain independent bottler is about to release a new 16yo from a certain distillery, (neither in the North nor the far South of Ireland), in October and it is very good indeed. I would be happy to get that and share it around. However if you'd prefer something else then that's fine too.

It sounds like an excellent arrangement :smoke: I just wanted to publicise the variety of price and availability. None of us here in the ROI will have tasted a 16yo (Middle-North-East of Ireland :wink: ) malt so I imagine all of us would be intrigued. The thing is what could we each offer you in return? I hope to arrange sufficient Green Spot for the North American contingent but I can't imagine a regular Irish offering that either of you would have missed. I certainly wouldn't be averse to sending a pure pot still sample + a mystery malt to the European members.

Plus while we're at it where can I get 40ish sample bottles?
cathach
Silver Member

Postby IainB » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:50 am

cathach wrote:
Willie JJ wrote:Cathach (and IWC, Aidan and DavidH), what Nick and I were suggesting (forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here) is that we could each buy a bottle that none of the Irish gang have so that we could participate in swapping with you for the tasting (assuming that you would wish to participate in such a venture). The problem is that we don't know what you don't have/haven't tried. If you could decide amongst yourselves what best fits the bill then we will buy it and send samples to you in return for samples of something else from you.

It sounds like an excellent arrangement :smoke: I just wanted to publicise the variety of price and availability. None of us here in the ROI will have tasted a 16yo (Middle-North-East of Ireland :wink: ) malt so I imagine all of us would be intrigued. The thing is what could we each offer you in return? I hope to arrange sufficient Green Spot for the North American contingent but I can't imagine a regular Irish offering that either of you would have missed. I certainly wouldn't be averse to sending a pure pot still sample + a mystery malt to the European members.

Plus while we're at it where can I get 40ish sample bottles?

Go to your local GP - say you're there for a medical - they'll give you a sample bottle for urine - then leg it out the door.

Repeat process at multiple health centres until required amount of sample bottles have been acquired.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby DavidH » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:43 am

IainB wrote:Go to your local GP - say you're there for a medical - they'll give you a sample bottle for urine - then leg it out the door.

Repeat process at multiple health centres until required amount of sample bottles have been acquired.

Gee, so much trouble! Just go to any clinic and say "Hi, I'm here from the lab to collect the urine samples". (Did somebody mention "mystery malt"?)
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:59 pm

Weeee. I can imagine the tasting notes. This "whiskey" is very sea like, briney. :shock:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:00 am

Okay was tuned out for a while ....

Right lets get some order to proceedings :wink:

I presume we are going with a few regular bottles as previously discussed.

Blends:
Jameson's 12yo (Adrian aka IWC Check :wink: )
Bushmills Original :dead:

Pure Pot Still:
Redbreast 12yo (IWC Check)

Single Malt:
Tyrconnel NAS :dead:

Single Grain:
Greenore 8yo (IWC Check)

People that have not ruled themselves out for the swaps are as follows. Remember you can always do this tasting before or after and post your thoughts after the fact. Further you don't feel under pressure to have one of everything listed so even if you have only 3 or 4 that is fine.

On info I have received from totally unreliable sources :lol: maybe we can get the swap bottles bit rolling

Maybe something like this.

Europe
Willie JJ : International Man of Mystery Malt
Collector57 : Connemara Cask Strength (probably the best in the range on price/value ratio)
Cathach : ??? possibly Greenspot or Knappogue
Irishwhiskychaser : Cadenhead 13yo or Milroys Grain or Redbreat 15yo or SMWS 118.1 (Cooley Peated, ) or ... or ... or ... :wink: I'll let the European panel decide.
Aidan : ???
Ras Mazunga : ???
IainB : ??? (maybe IainB you could do RB15 you'll have at least me off your postal list for that one :thumbsup: )

So basically people can add or

I'd vote to go with the SMWS from my lot .... Looking forward to this whether it is opened for the tasting or not. Actually the Cadenheads 13yo is probably not far from this type either. Quite different to the Connemara I feel.

So just to whet your appetites... :P

SMWS notes .....
Nose: noticeably phenolic: smoky-bacon crisps with carbolic soap. The mouthfeel at full strength is oily and the flavour very sweet, with traces of sheep dip. 'Fruity teryaki marinade' was also noted. Water reduces the impact, softens and sweetens the whisky, although the carbolic remains.
Taste: The flavour starts sweet then becomes very smoky/charcoal-like
Finish: less carbolic and a trace of chocolate in the finish.

By the way if people would like to discus this, I can organise a conference call with joint Irish & UK land line numbers (So national call rates for all) .... just a thought.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ras Mazunga » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Just arrived home with a Greenspot.
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:22 am

Ok Ras, you did say that you would provide the Greenspot so that makes the exchanges something like:

Europe
Willie JJ : Cooley 16yo IB
Collector57 : Connemara Cask Strength
Cathach : Knappogue?
Irishwhiskychaser : SMWS 118.1 (Cooley Peated, )
Aidan : ???
Ras Mazunga : Greenspot
IainB : ???

I think we're getting somewhere.

Now about the sample bottles, it looks to me like we may have too many for a 10cl swap so what about 6cl?
Willie JJ

Postby cathach » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:50 am

The old Irish 'baby' bottles would be perfect for this as they're 71ml, based on the old measure of a 700ml as a 'ten-glass' bottle. Any idea where we can get some? I can provide a Knappogue alright (12yo nc Bushmills) and if the humour strikes me I may include something else as well, IF I have the bottles....
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:08 pm

I've got bottles that have printed 50ml on the bottom but can contain up to 64ml.
So 6cl is the best imo.
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:36 pm

I reckon I'll just about be able to get enough bottles together for everybody but they will be recycled sample bottles :oops: hope everybody will be ok with that..... I'll give them a good clean though.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:40 pm

I'm all for recycling Adrian. It keeps the costs down.
Willie JJ

Postby Ryguy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Nick, Tim (lohssanami) has purchased a bottle of the Connemara CS and is sending us all samples over here as far as I know. Thank you for checking! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:55 pm

I confirm I have the Connemara CS, and I have already given Mikeymad his sample plus Ganga's sample.

I am sending ryguy's sample off this week, and I think I need to send Wave a sample too. Anyone else?
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:07 am

lohssanami wrote:I confirm I have the Connemara CS, and I have already given Mikeymad his sample plus Ganga's sample.

I am sending ryguy's sample off this week, and I think I need to send Wave a sample too. Anyone else?

I plan to pick up the Greenore 8 in the near future and distribute, along with the Tyrconnell, to the US folk. Holding off on shipment until we know about the Greenspot samples. :wink:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:44 pm

Collector57 wrote:OK, as I see it I'm sending Connemara CS to:

Willie JJ
Cathach
Irishwhiskychaser
Aidan
Ras Mazunga
IainB
and I'm going to include TheTross despite his opt-out, because I like his notes.

Hi Nick ... a bit of good news I am sorted for Connemara CS so no need to forward to me.... all the more for you to drink :wink:

Thanks a million though :thumbsup:

Cheers

Adrian-
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:37 pm

The bottle I'm supplying isn't released until October 16th so my samples will not be along for a while yet.
Willie JJ

Postby cathach » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:37 am

Willie JJ wrote:The bottle I'm supplying isn't released until October 16th so my samples will not be along for a while yet.

Sound out boss!

Could all like-minded fellows send me their addresses for some Knappgue Castle 1994 and a mystery malt.
cathach
Silver Member

Postby IainB » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi All, been too busy to post for the last few days.

I have most of what's on the list so no need to send samples to me. To be honest that Saturday is the nearest to the wife's birthday so I'll probably not be around for the tasting anyway.

That said, I'd like to help the event on as best I can so I'd be delighted to send a sample of the Redbreast 15yo to anyone who needs it. Probably the simplest thing is for any of you who need a sample for the tasting to PM me your address and I'll get them away in the next few days.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi guys, just to let you know I won't be around much the next 3 or 4 weeks so I'll talk to you all then... :thumbsup:

Cheers Adrian
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby JCSkinner » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Sign me up for this, please!
I have most of these on the shelf right now, and would love to participate.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:43 pm

JCSkinner wrote:Sign me up for this, please!
I have most of these on the shelf right now, and would love to participate.

Sounds great JCSkinner! If you have any questions, let us know.
Cheers! :D :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:35 pm

US folk, I have the Greenore 8 in the house. :D

Awaiting Greenspot and then I can start shipping. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ryguy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:40 pm

I also have my bottle of Redbreast 12 ready for distribution. If there is anyone else that would like to participate, or that I haven't already spoken to about sending a sample to, please let me know. :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby cathach » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:12 am

Ganga wrote:
Awaiting Greenspot and then I can start shipping. :thumbsup:

Good stuff boss; I'm working on the Green Spot now, be in contact soon
cathach
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder