Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What do you get from the Live Tastings?

What do you get from the Live Tastings?

Postby Ganga » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:23 pm

I thought a thread like this might be of interest to those thinking about joining a Live Tasting, whether this is the monthly tastings or one of the special events.

So tell me (and everyone else), what the benefits are from the Live Tastings.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: What do you get from the Live Tastings?

Postby TheTross » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:45 pm

To get drunk!!! *HIC*!!

But seriously, I get a lot out of Live Tastings. A lot of people here have tried a lot of whisky that I haven't been able to or got round to yet, and it's great to be able to tap into their knowledge. It also helps me narrow down potential purchases; I know everyone's tastes differ, but if a general consensus of a whisky is great, it gives me more confidence that if I buy it I'll like it, rather than risking spending money on a complete lemon of a dram.

It also brings the forum together, and is to me the next best thing to actually being in a pub. Sending each other samples for the tastings also helps with the community feel, as well as providing an opportunity to try whiskies that otherwise you may not ever be able to.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:47 pm

It's nice to compare perspectives.
We each have different palates, tastes and ways of describing our experiences.
As I often tell my customers, there is no right or wrong when it comes to whisky. If your opinion is different to those of others, then you are not wrong. You are just getting a slightly different flavour to other people. Or, perhaps you have more taste experience and can identify flavours more accurately.

Therefore, with a live tasting it's great to try similar drams to others and compare notes, discuss experiences and most importantly; SHARE.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Ryguy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:37 am

I really enjoy the Live Tastings for several reasons. I like trying and experimenting with new whiskies, being able to taste while chatting with others, having the chance to read other peoples tasting notes, and also going out of my comfort zone when it comes to trying new things.

The Live Tastings also give us a chance here to swap samples amongst the forum to give each other a chance to try a larger range from the distillery chosen for the month.

Plus it also makes the Forum more interactive and creates a sense of community. :D :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:01 am

I like the concept of a live tasting online because it lets me share my personal experiences with a single malt in real time with other like minded individuals where distance is no longer an issue. You need only sit down at the keyboard, dram in hand and start to share your impressions with another person who may be half a world away.

Even though it is pleasant to be able to sit and read or share your knowledge on a forum, you realise how small the globe has become with a live tasting. I appreciate being able to banter in the 'here and now' with Mr Fjeld and DiBlasi* , whom I've never met personally, but whose knowledge and appreciation of Single Malts they freely share with myself and the world stage.
(*insert "Ganga" "Willie" Mikeymad", "Wendy" or anyone from the panalopy of the Forum)

The fact that you live in either a large European urban area or in the rural outback of Canada or Australia has no bearing. With an internet connection and a keyboard, someone who appreciates and respects what you perceive and report on is only a few keystrokes away.

Of course, it does need to be reiterated that the persona presented online is not to be confused with the real person and an online associate is not the same as a realtime friend. An online contact is a useful way to interact and disseminate information but nothing beats sitting down face to face and enjoying a dram together. A live tasting is a tolerable substitute until opportunity or circumstance allows.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:45 pm

I'd like to take the time to thank all of you for answering and to encourage others to voice an opinion or two.

In thinking about this topic, I started asking myself, "What can be improved for the Live Tastings?"
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby daveski » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:03 am

As a newbie to the forum (by posts anyway), this week was the first time that I ventured into the domain of Live Tastings. The subject matter appealed to me, which clearly helped.

I found that the preparation was rather good. With other members prepared to split their samples for others to taste, it meant that the evening would be spent comparing similar, if not in some cases, the same whiskey.

Apart from the exitement in waiting for the evening to commence, the concept of reading other people's thoughts, on a whiskey that i was also tasting, was rather useful to compare relative opinions.

Clearly no two people will have the same likes, or opinions for that matter, on any particular dram, but that is what makes this idea so appealing for me. As a relative novice (i have only been drinking malts for about 6 years), I, for one, know that I have plenty to learn. the Live Tasting concept gives me that opportunity. I hope to join in future tastings.

Many thanks to willie for helping me on this occasion and for the others' thoughts throughout the night.

Dave
daveski

Postby Ryguy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:23 am

Glad to have you on board Dave. We look forward to you participating in the Tastings with us in the future. It is quite fun, and I look foward to reading your notes, and enjoying drams with you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:52 am

Welcome daveski. I'm glad you found some benefit to joining in on the Live Tastings. If you review the past tastings, you might find some other whiskies/distilleries you wish to review.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby daveski » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:53 am

Very kind. I think that i would love to be involved in he next edition...s.... :D

Dave
daveski

Postby Ryguy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:01 am

daveski wrote:Very kind. I think that i would love to be involved in he next edition...s.... :D

Dave

October 25th Ardbeg
November 15th Irish Whiskies

Hope to 'see' you then! :D :D :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby daveski » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:03 am

Ryguy wrote:
daveski wrote:Very kind. I think that i would love to be involved in he next edition...s.... :D

Dave

October 25th Ardbeg
November 15th Irish Whiskies

Hope to 'see' you then! :D :D :D :D

I might just have something to taste on both of those days!! Good news.
daveski

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder