Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Recommenation for Glenfiddich drinker

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Recommenation for Glenfiddich drinker

Postby SweetPea » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:49 pm

Hi,

My boyfriend has been drinking 12 year old Glenfiddich the last few months but would like to try others. He recently tried Ardbeg at a friends house and liked it but would anyone recommend a good whiskey to get him?

I'm not a whiskey drinker myself but do enjoy a nice whiskey & ginger... yum.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
SweetPea

Re: Recommenation for Glenfiddich drinker

Postby mlawrenson » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:24 am

I'd say Cragganmore, but then I would :)

Maybe Balvenie as well, perhap Glenfarclas if you don't think he's scared by sherry.
mlawrenson

Postby Ganga » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:27 am

I'm sure he would enjoy and older version of Glenfiddich like the 15 or the 18. However, there are many quality whiskies readily available.

Highland Park 12
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Talisker 10
Talisker Distiller's Edition
Laphroaig 10
Macallan 12
Glenfarclas 12
Aberlour a'bunadh (warning: cask strength)
Aberlour 16
Lagavulin 16
Glenlivet 12
Glenlivet 18
Dalmore 12
Pulteney 12

I'm sure others will make suggestions. Some of these are smokey/peaty whiskies; some are very sherried whiskies. It represents a spectrum from the less expensive side of single malt scotch whisky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby borgom » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:48 am

Welcome SweetPea!
What price range are you looking at?
Something characterful like Lagavulin 16 is a great gift.
My only other advice is to try and steer away from anything over 46% abv if your boy is not used to strong liquor.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby SweetPea » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:43 pm

I've not really thought about a price, up to about £40 for about a 750ml bottle? I'm not sure how much you'd pay for a good bottle but i suppose it's worth it if he likes it.

Thanks for the help guys. You've really helped. :empty:
SweetPea

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:53 pm

Yes, you'd just get Lagavulin for that price...a classic, much loved, bold and dignified whisky , with an abundance of smoke AND sweetness...

Ganga's suggestions are good. I'd say if he likes the Glenfiddich, get him the 15. It's a whole level up on the 12. Richer, rounder, deeper...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:19 pm

SweetPea wrote:I've not really thought about a price, up to about £40 for about a 750ml bottle?

Being picky, if you're paying in pounds, you'll almost certainly get a 70cl bottle.

If he likes Glenfiddich and Ardbeg, then I guess he is going to be receptive to most whiskies - Glenfiddich is delicate and Ardbeg isn't. Try a Highland Park or an Old Pulteney and see how you get on. Aberlour 10 is also an interesting alternative. Or in a sherried direction, try a Glenfarclas - all good but 15yo in a short bottle is very good). Perhaps, and this is a gamble, try Bowmore Dawn - but not the 12yo.
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:42 pm

SweetPea wrote:Hi,

My boyfriend has been drinking 12 year old Glenfiddich the last few months but would like to try others. He recently tried Ardbeg at a friends house and liked it but would anyone recommend a good whiskey to get him?

I'm not a whiskey drinker myself but do enjoy a nice whiskey & ginger... yum.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Why not try Glenfiddich 15 or 18?

If you have a Tesco near you, try the 'Toasted Oak' which is decidedly liqueurish.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby SweetPea » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:08 pm

Thanks for the help guys! :thumbsup:

You've been a great help :)
SweetPea

Postby davesumner » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:20 pm

Recommenation for Glenfiddich drinker --

Depends on the price point?

Also Ardbeg is an Islay malt, where Glenfiddich is a plain Jane Speyside.

So, here are some recommendations for some moderately priced younger expressions.

Speyside

The Glenlivet - apples, a little bitter for my taste - plain

Glenfiddich 15 Sola Reserva - a little dry, sherry and blood orange, but very smooth

Aberlour - sherry

The Macallan 12 - sherry, a little pricey, but well known

Chivas Regal - a blend, but good, plain, cheeper.

Highland

One of my favorites - Balvenie Doublewood - cost more - sherry - smoke

Highland Park 12 - Sherry, Smoke, very good

Dewar's 12 - a blend, cheaper, good, smooth, sweet.

The Dalmore 12 - I personally like Highland Park better

Island

Talisker 10 - expensive, but very good

Johnnie Walker Black - has a little Talisker in it, a blend, cheaper but very good

Islay

Bowmore 12 or Legend - My favorite Islay, good price, lots of smoke.

Hope this helps. :)
davesumner

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:21 pm

mlawrenson wrote:I'd say Cragganmore, but then I would :)

Maybe Balvenie as well, perhap Glenfarclas if you don't think he's scared by sherry.

Glen Elgin - even better than Cragganmore.

:wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:25 pm

Welcome to the Forums davesumner! Very nice recommendations and great insight with the tasting notes. I look forward to reading more of your posts. :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby davesumner » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 pm

Thanks Ryguy! :)

I've had some other thoughts also I wanted to share.

As far as scotch and close to Glenfiddich, I would recommend starting with The Macallan and The Glenlivet. I would also try Balvenie, but if your looking for something a little more inexpensive, try Chivas Regal.

But I forgot other Whiskey besides Scotch.

Since Glenfiddich is the standard, I would think that picking up a few non-Scotch whiskey's would be ok. Glenfiddich is a pretty light Scotch.

So -

Bourbon

Try Woodford Reserve - light, smooth, great tasting bourbon.

Knob Creek - a little more character, still a great bourbon.

Basil Hayden - a little more expensive, but a great light, smooth bourbon.

Irish

I'm not a big fan of Irish Whiskey, sorry, but I would recommend trying Jameson 12.

Canadian

Again, not a big fan of Canadian Whiskey, but give Crown Royal a try.

Again hope this helps. :)
davesumner

Postby atrain5600 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:36 pm

I know this is a month or so after the last post, but I was given bottles of Glenfiddich 12-, 15-, and 18-yr for Christmas so was finally able to do a side-by-side. I find the 15-year old is the easiest to drink with a great overall flavor. The 18-year old is great, but I enjoyed it more with a splash of water. I've always enjoyed the 12-year Glenfiddich, but when you get to compare head-to-head, it really is harsh compared to the other 2. Again, a little water and it's still a great whisky. I also get to compare to Talisker 18 (too smoky for my taste), Glenlivet 15 (right up there with the Glenfiddich 12, just harder on the throat), Dewars 12 (nice enough blended, but a bit sweet) and Chivas Regal 12 (just a great all around blended).
atrain5600

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:15 pm

atrain5600 wrote:I know this is a month or so after the last post, but I was given bottles of Glenfiddich 12-, 15-, and 18-yr for Christmas so was finally able to do a side-by-side. I find the 15-year old is the easiest to drink with a great overall flavor. The 18-year old is great, but I enjoyed it more with a splash of water. I've always enjoyed the 12-year Glenfiddich, but when you get to compare head-to-head, it really is harsh compared to the other 2. Again, a little water and it's still a great whisky. I also get to compare to Talisker 18 (too smoky for my taste), Glenlivet 15 (right up there with the Glenfiddich 12, just harder on the throat), Dewars 12 (nice enough blended, but a bit sweet) and Chivas Regal 12 (just a great all around blended).

Thanks Atrain. I just picked up a bottle of the Glenfiddich 15 Solera basically because the praise for it on this site has been very strong even when compared to the 18. Would it be fair to say you prefer the 15 over the 18? If so, any reasons for the preference is appreciated. Eventually, I will pick up the 18 Ancient, but would like any insight into it first.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:51 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:
atrain5600 wrote:I know this is a month or so after the last post, but I was given bottles of Glenfiddich 12-, 15-, and 18-yr for Christmas so was finally able to do a side-by-side. I find the 15-year old is the easiest to drink with a great overall flavor. The 18-year old is great, but I enjoyed it more with a splash of water. I've always enjoyed the 12-year Glenfiddich, but when you get to compare head-to-head, it really is harsh compared to the other 2. Again, a little water and it's still a great whisky. I also get to compare to Talisker 18 (too smoky for my taste), Glenlivet 15 (right up there with the Glenfiddich 12, just harder on the throat), Dewars 12 (nice enough blended, but a bit sweet) and Chivas Regal 12 (just a great all around blended).

Thanks Atrain. I just picked up a bottle of the Glenfiddich 15 Solera basically because the praise for it on this site has been very strong even when compared to the 18. Would it be fair to say you prefer the 15 over the 18? If so, any reasons for the preference is appreciated. Eventually, I will pick up the 18 Ancient, but would like any insight into it first.

While I only speak for myself, I think that the Glenfiddich 15 Solera is probably most peoples' favourite bottle in the Glenfiddich lineup. There's a whole thread on this here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2950&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=glenfiddich+solera

Cheers and enjoy!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:08 am

There's also the notes on Glenfiddich from the Live Tasting here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8668
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder