Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Favorite All Around Whiskey

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Favorite All Around Whiskey

Postby davesumner » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:13 pm

I know that this is a tough one.

I'm an American and so Scotch is pretty expensive for me on the East Coast and I can't afford Single Malts to drink all the time.

I'm also not a big fan of Blended Scotch, but I do like a few blends.

Anyway, I'm more of a Bourbon guy and I find that I commonly pick up Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig the most. Elijah Craig is a little woody and dry but it's still a good whiskey for the price. Buffalo Trace is an excellent value as well for the complexity and character it brings.

As far as Scotch on the regular bases, Grant's, Teacher's, Glen Garrioch and Dewar's are my regular's.
davesumner

Re: Favorite All Around Whiskey

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:36 am

I feel your pain. Sadly, I too cannot afford to drink SMS all the time. I've been drinking Johnnie Walker Green Label for a while now, or should I say regularly. At 59 bucks CDN for a bottle, it's not too taxing on the wallet, and still a bit "higher up there" than the grain/malt blends like the ones you
ve' mentioned.

Actually it is more expensive than Aberlour 10, Aberlour 12, Balvenie 10, and about 1 dollar cheaper than Balvenie 12. So I guess I could afford to drink SMS everyday, just not the ones I want to. :P
Lagavulin DE, Aberlour A'Bunadh etc.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby davesumner » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:14 am

I keep a bottle of JWB on my shelf almost all the time. It's $40.00 including tax where I'm from. I also have a bottle of Talisker that is almost empty now. :)

I try to keep a good stock of cheaper single malt scotches in my cabinet, but I only drink them occasionally.

I prefer my scotch on the rocks, so JWR is just fine for everyday drinking for me. :) -- I've never tried Green. :oops:
davesumner

Postby Red_Arremer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Favorite All Around Whisky... hmm

Laphroaig 30 is way up there on my list :mrgreen: . Complicated nose, fascinating taste incredible depth, really ideal balance, endless finish, and a ton of drinkability. If you can still find a bottle of this pick it up ASAP because it's been discontinued and is disappearing fast!

Longmorn 16 c/s Raw Cask from Blackadder is also jarringly great :shock: . You get that great swell of Longmorn honey with a hefty body and an unreal sparkle on the palate. I've never had anything else like this.

I recently tasted an incredible 26 year old Brora from Duncan Taylor that might rank up there as well.

I'm surprised more people aren't chiming in on this thread. It's an endlessly appealing topic.
Red_Arremer

Postby IainB » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Generally Redbreast 15yo, or if unavalable Jameson 18. Then again, I'm biased.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Les Paul » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:25 pm

HP 12 for me....... 8)
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:59 pm

This is a tough one, as I tend to change drinks based on mood, weather, position of the stars, etc.

I would have to honestly say I don't have a 'go-to' bottle at all. . .I sometimes stand in front of my admittedly modest cabinet and just twiddle my thumbs until something jumps out at me (figuratively speaking) and says, "Drink me!"

That said, I usually end up with a Mac, a'bunadh, Compass Box, or a Stranahan's Colorado (seasonal, as it's getting cooler here.)

I've heard a lot of people saying good things about the Old Pulteney 12; I need to grab a bottle and see if it's a good daily drinker. . .

:coffee:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Gov » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:44 am

For me, Old Pulteney 12
Gov
Gold Member

Postby dcb » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:08 pm

my daily is Laph 10. or a bourbon or rye.
dcb

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:29 am

I don't have one daily dram. And it certainly would not be A'bunadh. too much sherry and too strong for an everyday. that's not to say it isn't great - I usually have a bottle open, but it tends to be "for special occasions..." or when in the mood for a full on sherry attack.

Also, anything by Lagavulin is a BIG favourite, but not everyday. too much of a good thing, familiarity breeds contempt etc.

there are times when i like to get seriously meditative with a whisky..eyes closed, totally focussing on the nuances etc. in which case the SMWS bottles get a dusting off, or that rare sample awaiting its moment.

But for everday, meaning the dram on the sideboard when cleaning the kitchen, or posting on this forum, or...

then yes, time for the low ABV, supermarket bought easy drinkers. Pulteney 12 is great in this respect, and very distinctive. I also Black bottle, Laphroaig 10, Talisker 10, Ardbeg 10, Glenmo 10, etc...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby cathach » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:38 am

Jemmy 12 or Black Bush; both sterling whiskies I could live with happily
cathach
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:30 pm

IainB wrote:Generally Redbreast 15yo, or if unavalable Jameson 18. Then again, I'm biased.

Iain is the Redbreast 15 much better than the 12?
I love the 12 and if i find a 15 i would probably get it.
Cheers
LI :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Like others have said this is a tough question to answer as we all have different tastes.
I class a good all rounder as a quality dram at a reasonable price that you can drink at any time of day and any time of year.

For lower end bottles Glenlivet 12 or 18, Cragganmore 12, HP 12
jw green label ( vatted ) etc ( too many to list )
A top class all rounder has to be Talsker 18, smooth and smokey. For the money there are not many others that offer the same quality.
I also drink Strathisla at any time of the day :roll:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby The Scotch Chix » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:24 am

Our daily used to be Highland Park 12 ($49 at Bevmo). Now we are on a bit of a fruity kick and pick up the Glenlivet 18 at Costco for our every day whisky ($42). Have you tried Woodford Reserve Bourbon ($29 at Bevmo)? It is a bourbon that thinks it is a scotch.

CA Scotch Chick
http://www.scotchchix.com
The Scotch Chix

Postby talisker10 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:21 am

I am torn between Talisker 10 (obviously) and Laphraoig CS. I guess as a daily dram the Lap would win out since it's cheaper ($52 vs. $63).
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby hook55 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:47 am

Makers Mark for Bourbon Whiskey, And as far as SM Whisky I will have to say Glenfiddich 18y.o. although the 15y.o. is very close.
hook55
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:31 am

I think a good transitional whisky for a bourbon drinker would be Balvenie Double Wood. Oak, Vanilla, buttery, smooth long finish. If you can get it for a reasonable price give it a try.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:18 pm

There are paople who swear by one whisky. "JW Red" , or "Glenfiddich", or "J&B Rare" or whatever..or the adventurous drinker who just had his first Laphroaig and can taste the entire history of Scotland in one sip. But more often than not, these are folk who have one, max two, of everything in their drinks cabinet = brandy, gin, vodka, tequila, Martini, and whatever they consider the "best" whisky.

Mine was Lagavulin 16. But back then, the only other whiskies i'd tried were Oban and Glenfiddich, with Laphroaig and Macallan soon to come...

the more whiskies one tries, the more one's horizon expands, and the harder it is to name a "favourite all-rounder".

Michael Jackson called HP12 "The Greatest All-rounder..." but I don't agree. not that i don't like it...it's all down to taste.

I guess my favourite everyday, inexpensive "All around whiskey" would be a blend of Ardbeg 10, glenfiddich 15, Pulteney 12, Talisker 18, a good sherried Macallan, Lagavulin 16, Glenmorangie 'old' Portwood...and preferably bottled at 46%!!

Now THAT would be something!

But then I suppose I'd bet bored and want to savour the extremes: "Gimme the Port! gimme the peat!"

Variety is the spice of life, and the joy of whisky
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:31 pm

davesumner wrote:I know that this is a tough one.

You do happen to mention Buffalo Trace (while intimating that you find the heavier char aspect of the Elijah Craig a little too drying) and Glen Garioch, however. And this leads me to believe that you might really like Balvenie 15YO Single Barrel, which is bottled at a slightly higher proof than most Highlanders, and has a lovely clean, crisp, honeyed flavour spectrum. Hook55's recommendation of the 15YO (French Oak Reserve, I'm guessing) and 18YO from Glenlivet is also an excellent one.

Lots of choices... That's for sure!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:41 pm

ardbeg 10...my all around all satisfying -i can drink it every day - favorite smsw

teachers - fav blend

buffalo trace - fav bourbon

old overholt - fav rye (and super cheap too)
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Probably Ardbeg 10 at the moment. A year or two ago I would have easily said Laph 10 but due to it's now lighter profile it's no longer close.
I do drink some bourbon and Wild Turkey Rare Breed is my favourite so far. I also really enjoy Mellow Corn.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:30 pm

I dont have one single malt that I have all the time, it changes. Right now I have open bottles of Balvenie Doublewood, a Glenlivet Nadura, a Williamsom bourbon. I also have various bottles that I have furtherd matured in 5-liter oak barrel between 8-9 months. The original whiskies that was used in further maturation are the cheaper variety and some are blends such as McCleland, McCormack, Queen Anne, Scot Leader, etc.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby lancj1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:59 pm

I am not experienced enough yet, as one poster indicates your horizons widen with each new bottle you try. I love Talisker, 10 and 18, I am nearing the end of my JW blue, a blend which I found to be exceptional and which I may never buy again, and I am now trying my first bottle of Bunahabain, which I think is very good too. To my palate, those whiskys are quite similar - complex, light peat/smoke, pepper, long finish.

Its nice to have a favourite though, just so hard to pick one !
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby kyorke1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:27 am

Definitely a difficult question, with my experience I would say that it’s a toss up between the HP18 and the Talisker 18. I love HP’s honey sweetness followed by its long smoky finish. This could quite easily change as I try new stuff though.

A daily drinker for me would be the Laphroaig 10.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby Megawatt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:29 pm

For a daily drinker I'd say Alberta Premium 25.
For a weekend sipper, probably Talisker 18.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby bankerjoe » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:16 pm

I am really new to Whiskey, so this is tough for me. I know very little about American stuff (I have only had a couple bourbons, and not much else), but I seem to gravitate to Scotches. I haven't had too many blends, only single malts. That said, I love peat. Anything with smokiness I seem to love, and the more the better.

That said, in my limited experience, I have to go with Bowmore Darkest or Lagavulin 16. The more smoke the better.
bankerjoe

Postby Dubois » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Any HP...
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby triguy42 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:19 am

Favorite all around right now would be Ardbeg 10yr. Intensity, character, depth, balance. But out of 100+ open bottles of SMS anything intense and smoky makes the daily cut. At the moment Laphroaig 10yr is my choice, but my tastes vary day to day. It depends on mood, weather, etc. Some days Macallan CS, Oban 14yr, delicate-but-powerful Talisker 18 or 20yr, etc. But when I want something that I can put my nose into and just sit and reflect it almost always goes back to an Islay malt.
triguy42

Postby LagaDrinker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:14 am

For me I think Macallan 10 at the moment
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby vivbao » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Not all that experienced but I have the memory of a Talisker 10 that just won't quit. The Laphroaig QC is a current fave.
vivbao

Postby Stewart » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Famous Grouse 18: mature and balanced with some maltiness. Minor notes of spice and dried black fruits. Barest hints of smoke and liquorice. Johnnie Walker Black comes in second...just a nice symphony of flavors for everyday use, like the interplay of lots of Scottish pipes and drums.

I haven't found a favorite single malt yet, but like others here, I think highly of my bottle of Talisker 10!
Stewart

Postby UUNetBill » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:06 am

Agreed - it's difficult to pick a favorite - my choices are influenced by my moods, the weather, what I had for lunch, what I'm having for dinner, and probably the moon and tides, too. That said, I usually have to buy replacements for:

Macallan 12 and 18
Ardbeg 10
Aberlour a'bunadh
Balvenie Doublewood
HP 18
Lap QC

:dead:

But like kids, they all have a special place in my heart (stomach?)

:D
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:45 am

Since I started drinking it six months ago or so, my all round favorite that I never seem to tire of is Teachers. Its cheap, and its interesting.

For weekends, I move to the single malts but dont have a steady go-to. Keep trying them but none have snagged my palate as a steady.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby lpkchri1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:26 am

I've always had an affinity for Talisker 10. Other favorites are Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig 15, and JW Green Label.
lpkchri1

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:02 am

Talisker 18yo. I know a lot of people echo Highland Park, but I'm not a big fan of their OBs. Runner up would probably be Caol Ila 12yo. I prefer that one to either of the other official Caol Ilas.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder