Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Favorite All Around Whiskey

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Favorite All Around Whiskey

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:33 pm

The one thing I am hearing from everyone is that it is a tough question and it really is. How do you pick just one. I know I can't but I will do my best. I have tried so many that sometimes I don't remember the names.

Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish Single Malt
Johnnie Walker Green Blended malt
Johnnie Walker Blue Blended Whisky

There are so many others but if I had to pick three to be in my cabinet it would be these.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby jazz lover » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:45 pm

I choose bottles that I have more than one
of that bottle.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:35 pm

I think there are two ways to approach the "Favorite All-around Whisk(e)y)". First, one can answer it based on daily dram. This leads to people selecting more affordable drams, be it American, Canadian, Irish, Scotch whiskies.

However, a second approach is to view this question as one that you enjoy at anytime regardless of the circumstances. This doesn't mean that you necessarily have this beverage all the time.

My favorite daily drinkers are Macallan 12, Balvenie DW, Bowmore Legend and 12, Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, Aberlour a'bunadh, Highland Park 12. Affordable yet, still sophisticated enough to dwell upon.

However, as an all around beverage (good for an evening by the fire, mid summer, mid winter, celebratory) I'd have to pick Macallan 18. A near second is Talisker 18. Both drams are incredible and drinkable at any given time or mood...at least for me.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby shulaw05 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:12 am

old pulteney 12, HP 15, glenlivet 18 and the new balvenie 12 yr signaute
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:24 pm

As regards all-around whiskies (in a single malt genre, that is), I'm a little surprised no one (myself included up to this point) has yet made mention of Clynelish 14 Year Old (Hidden Malt series). When it comes to offering a combination of a relatively broad flavour spectrum (including subtle touches of smoke and salt), a decent bottling strength and a good level of quality at relatively affordable cost, this one works well for me.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:52 pm

On another thread, "Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban", the old deceased Glenmo Portwood is fondly remembered as someone's daily dram. It was mine once too. I had hoped the QR would be a fortified version , but to me it's a different beast, and I didn't fall in love...

Easy to be nostalgic, and see a departed friend as the perfect companion, but I did get through a lotta bottles of this in my early whisky days...

I don't think I've got a "favourite all-arounder" these days, just favourites that do a different job, depending on my mood. Talisker 18 , HP 18, or possibly Macallan 18 might qualify if they were cheaper.

For a regular "feel like a whisky" or first dram of the evening, rather than some deep studying session, my hand tends to hover between Ardbeg 10, Black Bottle( with a dash of Laphroaig 10 or 10 CS!) Pulteney 12, Talisker 10, Aberlour 10 or Macallan 10, Glenfiddich 15, Glenmorangie Standard or Lasanta(tho' I hear from the reliable Les Taylor that the latest bottling has gone 'off'!)

Not at all clear cut!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:01 am

The next one I enjoy more than my previous favorite. That is until I try my favorite from last year again and it becomes a 2 time winner etc etc
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby AZmalt » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:41 am

I really liked the 1970's vintages of Macallan 18yr, Ardbeg 1978 but now the Ardbeg 10 fills that role.

So, Ardbeg TEN is it.
AZmalt

Postby bond » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:58 am

I guess most of us have defined "all-round" in our own way...some of us have described our respective favourite whiskies while others have mentioned whiskies that have the most elaborate flavour profile..

I typically refer to an "all-round" whisky as something has a bit of everything.. a whisky i would offer to a newbie who wanted a feel of single malt whisky..

My vote goes for the Highland Park 12 YO.. it has displaced Glenlivet from this slot in my pecking order.. i seldom meet people who are not impressed by this dram.
bond
Gold Member

Postby vision*R » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:23 am

If you say all-round = a bit of every flavour, then yes, Highland Park (especially 18yo) would probably be the n°1 choice. It's a bit sweet, a bit smoky, a bit malty, a bit spicy...

For me, Balvenie, Glenfarclas and Glenrothes are also all-rounders because they usually have a "neutral" profile with enough depth but without overpowering notes.
vision*R

Postby Lucas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:05 pm

Yup, totally. HP18 is a magnificent all-rounder. But I recently made a mistake of trying it alongside Macallan 18yo sherry cask and it paled miserably:D
Lucas

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Hmmm. Never tried them H2H and due to cost not likely to in a while!

Last year I was given a laarge "blind" dram of what reminded me of a really good HP. Turned out to be the Yamazaki 18!!

I'd dread to try that H@H with the HP18...the Japs might just win!

It's on my wishlist...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Lucas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:03 pm

That's amazing!! I made the same mistake some time ago!! I never had Yama18 and HP18 alongside but also have a sneeky feeling that the jap would win.
I had Yamasaki 12 a few days ago, teamed up with Blanton's Gold, Bushmills 16 Three Wood and a Bruichladdich Manzanilla. Did a wee battle of the nations for my blog. Yama totally won the tasting for me. Amazing dram!
Lucas

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:36 pm

After finishing it, my self-appointed "guide" at WL last year took me to reveal the ID of this dram...the Japanese gentleman at Yamazaki was so impessed by my enthusiasm when he asked me if I "rike the whisky" he immediately poured me another large one!!

Never had the Y12 but this 18...wow!

It was the most surprising, and therefore the outstanding dram at whisky live last year, where in 2-3 short hours I tasted some excellent whiskies - Glenmo Astar, Ardbeg Renaissance and Oogydal, my first Port ellen, springbank 15, a 34YO Glen Grant, Bowmore 18...

I drive Japanese. I guess I'll be drinking Japanese soon. doesn't quite have the same ring, does it?

" Fancy a Japanese? Do you take your Japanese on the rocks?"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Lucas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:47 pm

Wait for the Suntory marketing machine kick starting! In the next Bond move it will all be: a double Jap on rocks;)
Unfortunately for us Yama is overpriced in the UK:(
Lucas

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder