Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Portwood Casks

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Portwood Casks

Postby jobarez » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:27 pm

I've tryed both Springbanks 12 y.o. Woodseries, rumwood and portwood. I think that it's a very big differens in the taste. Rumwood is delight with comlexity of the springbank and a little touch of sweetness from the rum. The portwood I think only accentuates a strong perfume taste, specially when adding water. I've also tasted Caol Ila with a portwoodfinish who i did't like.

What are your experienses?
jobarez

Postby blackkeno » Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:36 am

The first port wood finish I tasted was the Glenmorangie. I figured that since they were so famous for their finishing, it would be pretty good. I was distictly underwelmed, and figured that unlike sherrycasks, I didn't care for port influence.

I have since had several wonderful port casked expressions. The Balvenie 21 was exceptional. The Port Port Ellen (Signatory) is really worth seeking out. Pike Creek Canadian has an interesting port influence as does the Bushmill's 16 three wood. At first I really liked the Auchentoshan triple wood, but it has since gotten old on me. Another of my favorates in the Midleton 26yo Pure Pot Still Irish, bourbon and sherry casks that were then port finished. A gamble that really paid off IMHO.
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:43 pm

I was also underwhelmed by Glenmorangie Port finish, the first port finish I tried.

I quite like Chieftain's Choice Auchroisk 11yo port finish though.

Bushmills 16yo three wood is quite port influenced, distinctly pink. It is a nice dessert dram but there isn't much malt whisky flavour left, IMO, mostly sherry and port.

Port finishes can be nice but can easily be overdone. They seem much more influential than sherry finishes or sherry maturation in general.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Port Wodd Finishes

Postby Lawrence » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:45 pm

I had a Bruichladdich CS Port Wood finish and it was very good, the wine did not overwhelm the whisky.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Stephen » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:18 pm

I've tryed Springbank 12 y.o. Woodseries, rumwood and shreywood.

Rumwood:Balance!Just like Michael Jackson and Dave Broom's tasting note.
http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/s ... y1296.html

Sherrywood:No bad.But palate doesn't switch smoothly. I will buy Springbank 15yo.
Stephen
Bronze Member

Postby Stephen » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:24 pm

If you want to try port wood finish,The Balvenie 21 Year Old, Port Wood Finish will be a very good choice.

I have tryed it,port change The Balvenie's style,but balance!
Stephen
Bronze Member

Postby Tyson » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:30 pm

The Balvenie and Glenmorangie port finishes are not bad, but the Bowmore is excellent, IMO. Soft smooth start transitioning to wood and smoke very quickly in the finish. Nice.
Tyson

Postby Laphroaig » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:04 pm

The Glenmorangie Portwood has it's purposes (for me). I disagree on the wood influence thing. To me Portwood is more subtle than Sherrywood imho. I think more people are accustomed to Sherried tastes and thus it is more tolerable or more easily ignored as a normal characteristic.

That said the Balvanie 21 is something special - Especially pricewise! The Glenmorangie Portwood goes very well with Cuban cigars as does the Balvanie 21. I don't enjoy the Glenmorangie PW as a stand alone though.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Tyson » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:05 pm

It may be that the Balvenie house style is just not to my liking - I've felt the same way about all the Balvenie's I've had - citrusy and sharp up front, too thin on the finish. Just my humble opinion, of course. I'll take the fuller Glenmorangie anyday, and the Bowmore Dawn I like even better than the Glenmorangie.
Tyson

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:05 am

The nicest Port Wood I ever tasted was a Caol Ila 11Y old from Signatory's Unchill Filtered Series. That one had a nice Port Finish.
A lovely pink color.

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:59 pm

Unlike most people here, I actually enjoy the Glenmorangie Port Finish.

Another bottling I'm particularly fond of is the Cragganmore Distillers Edition, which is finished in Port.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder