Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bordeaux finishes, anyone?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Bordeaux finishes, anyone?

Postby Red_Arremer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:23 pm

What are the best bordeaux finish bottlings that you've had?

My girlfriend and I had a taste of the Bruichladdich Redder Still the other day. Can't speak for how well it's put together, but it was a very powerful and refreshingly exotic whisky. I wanted it, but, at 325$, I couldn't rationalize it. I tried Auchentoshan's 17yo OB bordeaux and thought it was a little bland. I know the Bowmore Dusk is bordeaux, and I'm interested, but I haven't tried it.

Any suggestions?
Red_Arremer

Re: Bordeaux finishes, anyone?

Postby Ganga » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:01 pm

If you are interested in wine finished whiskies, I would point you to the Murray McDavid line or the Isle of Arran distillery. Both have lots of finished whiskies in all kinds of red wines. Glenmorangie also has done some experimenting.

IMO, the Redder Still just wasn't that entertaining. I don't think I would have spent half the asking price. On the other hand, I did enjoy the Auchentoshan 17 when it first came out.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:49 pm

I've only tasted a Burgundy finished Glenmorangie but that isn't exactly what you asked. I see Royal Mile Whiskies have a few Bordeaux finished whiskies:

ARRAN Chateau Margaux Finish

GLENMORANGIE 1987 Margaux

BENRIACH 16 Sauternes Finish
(Chateau d'Yquem casks)

EDRADOUR 1997 Sauternes Finish 50cl

BOWMORE 1992 Bordeaux Wine Finish 53.5%

EDRADOUR 1995 SFTC Bordeaux Finish 50cl

BRUICHLADDICH 15 Year Old - Sauternes Finish

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/find.a ... =&sfile=1=
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 pm

mmmm yummy Mr Fjeld ....

thx
mikeymad

Postby Hereward » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:57 pm

The Bowmore Dusk is one of my favourites. Not to everyone's taste I know, but I always keep a bottle or two in reserve.
Hereward

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:17 pm

mikeymad wrote:mmmm yummy Mr Fjeld ....

thx

:D Mikey, I had a hard time resisting the call from my whisky cabinet after uploading the pickies.............
Mr Fjeld

Postby Ganga » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:52 pm

I'd forgotten but there was the Bowmore Claret from several years ago. That bottle was tasty. :)
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Three years ago I drank the Edradour Bordeaux finish SFTC 11 yo 2005: according to my notes, very sweet, not very complex but very appetizing.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:06 pm

laphroaig10_65 wrote:Three years ago I drank the Edradour Bordeaux finish SFTC 11 yo 2005: according to my notes, very sweet, not very complex but very appetizing.
Bye
Luca

I enjoyed this one too, but by far the best finish on Edradour that I've tried was the Gaja Barolo. I also liked the Bruichladdich 18yo, I forget which dessert wine its finish is.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:29 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:I've only tasted a Burgundy finished Glenmorangie but that isn't exactly what you asked. I see Royal Mile Whiskies have a few Bordeaux finished whiskies

Nice pictures, but Sauternes is not a Burgundy - it's a white dessert wine. Red wine flavouring seems to make whisky taste of cherryade. And it tends to go this colour:
:twisted: :evil:

It's ironic, too, to see Edradour marketing a range of whiskies as "straight from the cask", when that's exactly what it isn't.
:yuk: :mrgreen:
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:50 am

Nick Brown wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:I've only tasted a Burgundy finished Glenmorangie but that isn't exactly what you asked. I see Royal Mile Whiskies have a few Bordeaux finished whiskies

Nice pictures, but Sauternes is not a Burgundy - it's a white dessert wine. Red wine flavouring seems to make whisky taste of cherryade. And it tends to go this colour:

I know a Sauternes is not a burgundy - it's a bordeaux wine and that's why I posted it among the bordeaux wine finished whiskies. I've tasted several Sauternes but frankly I'm not very fond of dessert wine - with the exception of a couple of Trockenbeerenauslese I've tasted.

I'm a little sceptic towards wine finishing myself. Too much flavour of the month mentality and the ones I've tried have ended up trying too hard - like the Talisker DE (although it's a sherry finished whisky) .
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I stand corrected. But in the context of adding flavouring/colouring to whisky, I tend to assume "Burgundy" or "Bordeaux" to mean adding a cherryade flavour and red colouring.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:54 pm

Well, in retrospect I should have written it differently to avoid confusion; "I have not tasted any Bordeaux finished whiskies but here are few available from RMW"
:D

About dessert wine finish - the only one I've tasted so far is the Caol Ila DE, a moscatel finished Caol Ila. Initially I liked it but I've given it some thought and I wonder if the sweetness from the wine replaces or outdoes the malty/gristy sweetness from the malted barley. So I wonder, is this really an enhancment of character? Maybe the smoke balances it but I'm not sure.
Mr Fjeld

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Red wine flavouring seems to make whisky taste of cherryade. And it tends to go this colour:

It's ironic, too, to see Edradour marketing a range of whiskies as "straight from the cask", when that's exactly what it isn't.
:yuk: :mrgreen:

Of course, as with everything on these forums, it's a matter of taste. I find some wine finishes work well, some don't. Just as some whiskies that have only lived in sherry or bourbon barrels work well and others don't. I find some sherried casks add a flavour I hate that is a mix of orange/pyracantha blossom/cat wee. And it turns the whisky brown ;)

I assumed "Straight from the Cask" refers to it being cask strength whiskies, matured in one type of hoggy then finished in another. Nowt ironical about it :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby petrol9to5 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:35 pm

If you like the Bruichladdich Redder, I can recommend their Links Torrey Pines - which is a Bordeaux finish. Just polished one off myself - really rather sad to see it finished......
About a thrid of the price too !
petrol9to5

Postby Red_Arremer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:58 am

My friend and I just split a bottle of the Bowmore Dusk. The stuff is surprisingly good.

Thanks for the heads up petrol9to5. I'll likely give that one a shot. Also thanks Mr Fjeld for giving me the heads up on the Bowmore 1992 Bordeaux. I can't wait for that one to get to the states. If it's in their vintage series It's sure to be full term Bordeaux.
Red_Arremer

Postby petrol9to5 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:50 am

Following on from my recommendation for Bruichladdich Links Torrey Pines.... - Ive just opened up their 16YO Cuvee "Pomerol" - its an absolute stunner ! - If you like this type of whisky then I suggest you try it.
This is part of a range of 6, all with different bordeaux finishes. Anyone else experienced any of the others ?
petrol9to5

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder