Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Arran 10 years old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Arran 10 years old

Postby SRWV » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:32 am

I was given a bottle of Arran 10 yeaers old by a freind. What is that taste behind the initial malt. I am racking my brains? Can any-one assist?
SRWV

Re: Arran 10 years old

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:21 am

I'm a big fan of Arran. My tasting notes on the 10-year old 46%ABV edition are as follows...

Colour: Bright gold with lemon yellow highlights.
Nose: Peach ginger compote. Buttered crumpets. Lemon zest in honey.
Palate: Relatively light in body, but with an attractive glycerine-like textural quality. Ripe pears and passion fruit. Lemon vanilla cake. Almond paste. A suggestion of saltwater mist and spices deftly counterpoints the malt sweetness.

All told, a well rounded and approachable whisky.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:28 pm

I haven't tried the 10 but I've had various other bottlings. I think one of their hallmarks is citrus and tropical fruits, like sweet pineapple. A very fruity, lively dram.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:05 pm

I've also tried three of the high-proof expressions... A cask strength one matured 100% in ex-Bourbon wood as well as two 55%ABV versions, one finished in Italian Amarone wood and the other in Hungarian Tokaji wood. Of these, I slightly prefer the Bourbon and Tokaji editions, with the Amarone finish bottling seeming to be a bit of a rough ride on the palate. There's no denying the consistent quality of the base distillate, though - even given the relative youth of these whiskies.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder