Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 10 Year Old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Ardbeg 10 Year Old

Postby lohssanami » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:31 am

UUNetBill wrote:I've never tried the HP 12 or 30, but just the 18 (as far as I can recall) and I always try to keep one or two handy - I find it a stellar whisky. But I also like the Ardbeg 10, so what do I know?

:P

The 18 was the first HP I tried, and I think it is just great!

Cheers LI!!!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Charlie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:03 am

I still prefer the old Ardbeg 10 to the new, but they are both excellent.
Charlie

Postby Hereward » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Ardbeg was the very first single malt I tried (I refuse to count the old Glenfiddich) and I was a devoted fan for years. Since I started to become a real enthusiast, a fair few others have overtaken it, including Lagavulin amongst the Islays, but I always keep a bottle or two in stock.

That said, I do think it is increasingly over-hyped. I also have a few doubts about the quality of the spirit since Blasda came out, especially having tried the unpreated Caol Ila, which is just so far superior. But I'm far from being an expert.
Hereward

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 am

It turned into my birthday at midnight, so I fancy one right now as a nightcap!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:18 am

Reggaeblues wrote:It turned into my birthday at midnight, so I fancy one right now as a nightcap!

Happy birthday RB. A nice way to start your b-day.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:24 am

The PLOWEDsters ran through a series of 10 Tens L0 through L7. Let's see what I have written down.

L01781117
L00390909
L33431428
L52370536
L40201307
L62561345
L72951212
L72400552

Yes, I missed writing down the info on two of them. But the consensus was for the L5 of the group. There are some obvious differences in the various batches but all are very much Ardbeg.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby lohssanami » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:11 am

Quite a lineup Ganga...

I'm sure we'll be doing another one in the future. I don't want to keep all of these collecting dust!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:34 am

pkt77242 wrote:
Reggaeblues wrote:It turned into my birthday at midnight, so I fancy one right now as a nightcap!

Happy birthday RB. A nice way to start your b-day.

Sean

Changed my mind. Went for a Grouse instead(only joking!)

No, I discovered a smidge of "Almost There" and had that. wow! forgotten what a great Ardbeg this was!

thanks for the greeting...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby thecraft » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:46 pm

I have to say I am very new to the whole whisky thing! As such I was totally unaware of any hype of Ardbeg but I think it's lovely stuff. I bought a bottle of Balvenie DW first, which I wasn't too bothered about and followed it up with a bottle of Talisker 10, Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig QC all of which are very very nice. There's not too much between them in terms of preference for me, but I would put Ardbeg first, Talisker second and the QC in third. Certainly the Ardbeg is the closest to empty :lol: It seems to have a slight edge in subtlety to me, but I am far from being an expert!

The Lagavulin 16 seems to be highly rated on here (if my memory is working), I just wondered if this is the same stuff that is in Jim Murrays Bible as The Distillers Edition that seems to get a very average review? Probably going to pick up one more bottle after payday and wondering whether to try this or the Ardbeg Uigeadail. Both would be an easy option but I don't think finances allow!!
thecraft

Postby RogerB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:57 pm

thecraft wrote:The Lagavulin 16 seems to be highly rated on here (if my memory is working), I just wondered if this is the same stuff that is in Jim Murrays Bible as The Distillers Edition that seems to get a very average review? Probably going to pick up one more bottle after payday and wondering whether to try this or the Ardbeg Uigeadail. Both would be an easy option but I don't think finances allow!!

The 16 and Distiller's Edition are two different expressions. The 16 is fantastic, but I can't speak for the the DE.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby thecraft » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:01 pm

RogerB wrote:
The 16 and Distiller's Edition are two different expressions. The 16 is fantastic, but I can't speak for the the DE.

I thought that was likely. Seems like the 16 is missed out of the guide, seems a bit of an oversight!
thecraft

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:38 pm

RogerB wrote:The 16 and Distillers Edition are two different expressions.

The Distillers Edition adds to to the aromatic and flavour profile of the regular 16YO, bringing notions of sultana raisins on the nose and a sensation of ripe, syrupy fruit on the palate. Then, the trademark distillery characteristics kick in, followed by a back-and-forth between Pedro Ximenex derived sweetness and Islay dry smokiness. Both versions are quite excellent.

If you want to gain a clearer perspective of Lagavulin's make, one less influenced by maturity and oak, try the 12YO cask strength.

Then pour some Laphroaig 10YO cask strength alongside it just for fun! :)
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby kyorke1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:01 pm

The Third Dram wrote:
RogerB wrote:The 16 and Distillers Edition are two different expressions.

The Distillers Edition adds to to the aromatic and flavour profile of the regular 16YO, bringing notions of sultana raisins on the nose and a sensation of ripe, syrupy fruit on the palate. Then, the trademark distillery characteristics kick in, followed by a back-and-forth between Pedro Ximenex derived sweetness and Islay dry smokiness. Both versions are quite excellent.

Well put!
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:19 am

thecraft wrote:
RogerB wrote:

I thought that was likely. Seems like the 16 is missed out of the guide, seems a bit of an oversight!

My sentiments entirely!

Another oversight, if i recall, the Glenmorangie standard!

Way to answer questions is to go find a bar that serves Lagavulin 16. It's quite different. Roughly somewhere between the Ardbeg and the Talisker, but that doesn't do it justice.

you have to try it.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby thecraft » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:36 am

Cheers, I really can't imagine the 16 being something that I won't like! The only other factor I wondered about in choosing to get that next or the Uigedail is if the Uigedail is likely to disappear soon? Had a bit more of the QC last night, and that seems to be getting better and better!
thecraft

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:42 pm

To me they are different whiskies. The Lag is 43%, and to a novice, quite "big" and wild. the \Uigeadal is @54% and much more "raw".

therefore, to me, they are both very much "mood" whiskies.

Both oustanding in their own way.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby thecraft » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Interesting to find out really! :D

A bar would be handy though I've never noticed any locally (Hereford) with a particular range, there could well be one or two.
thecraft

Postby arnehd » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Hype or no hype, Ardbeg 10 was my first love and what got me really interested in whisky in the first place and opened my horizont to the islay expressions. Laphroaig 10 CS and the Laga12 are also great (same goes for the uigeadail) but the first love is one to remember.
And it turned friends who used to be whiskyhaters into friends of the peaty stuff. Always have to have a bottle.

Prost, Arne
arnehd

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder