Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

fierce debate

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Postby hpulley » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:57 pm

Dave, there isn't any inventory left of CL25, I'm afraid. No surprise at that price.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:33 am

We tried the Campbeltown Loch (No Age Statement) at a recent tasting, and we all agreed it was fairly forgettable stuff. (Comments put forward were "thin", "cheap", "flat", "dull", etc.

Presumably the 25yo must be a substantial improvement on its younger brother!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

MY FIRST EVER BLEND - ""BNJ"

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:25 am

Spurred on by your words of wisdom, I've just bought my first ever blend.

It's the "Bailie Nicol Jarvie" from the Glenmorangie 'stable'. Only £13+ from my local Oddbins.

Supposedly, the sole grain is North British (whatever that is) and there's 60% malt content. These malts, which unsurprisingly include Glenmorangie, are between 8 and 17 years old - and there are only 8 of them

David Broom (in "Handbook of Whisky") gives BNJ a maximum score of 5/5. Jim Murray (in "Whisky Bible") gives the blend 93/100.

I can't wait to try it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:24 am

I've tried the BNJ, and it is a genuinely enjoyable dram.

There's a complexity and richness to it, and the flavour seems "alive" rather than dulled or whitewashed as many blends can often be.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:25 pm

There is Campbeltown Loch 21 yr old available now for £25
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

To Blend or not to Blend

Postby smeg » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:33 pm

There are also some lovely blended whiskies which suggest they are made up of 60% malt whisky - why not try those?

:lol:
smeg

Postby pibroch » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:26 pm

Recently I bought a bottle of C'town Loch (no age statement 5yo) and I find it delightful. It's got the lovely "pear drops" confectionary element of young malts, plus the sweet depth and coconut spice of Springbank and the pungent wet sheep peatiness of Longrow - simply brilliant. On top of all this is the bite at the back of the throat of the beautifully integrated grain! - I'm sure it will now be my standard tipple.

Jamie
pibroch

Postby Admiral » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:12 am

Just out of curiosity, how can you have a "No age statement 5yo"? :) :wink:
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby pibroch » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:31 am

No age statement on the label of course - and not to confuse it with the previous C' Loch standard blend which is a 10yo. And I know you're taking the piss cos you were the one who referred to it as "no age statement" in your earlier post :lol: :wink: .

Jamie

PS: From how you describe the BNJ vs the C' Loch (There's a complexity and richness to it, and the flavour seems "alive" vs "fairly forgettable") I'll have to be safely seated when I try the BNJ for the first time - my senses are likely to be positively overwhelmed :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:.
pibroch

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder