Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

McClelland's Highland Single Malt

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

McClelland's Highland Single Malt

Postby talisker10 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:36 pm

I am back from Antarctica and went to my local Spec's to get a bottle to replace my nearly finished Old Pulteney 12. Things are a bit tight right now so I was going to get Teacher's. However while looking I saw the range of McClelland's Single Malts (Islay, Highland, Speyside, and Lowland)..very cheap at $20 a bottle. I bought the Highland. Not great, but very good for the price, especially with a splash of water. Nose is similar to OP 12, while the taste is a bit similar to Dalmore 12 although not as sweet. The finish is a bit gingery and spicy. best thing is it is $20 and there is none of that grain alcohol taste that blends have. The Dr. Whisky blog says this whisky is likely Glen Garioch. I plan to try the Islay next, which is said to be Bowmore.
talisker10
Silver Member

Re: McClelland's Highland Single Malt

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:00 pm

I have a 5-liter oak barrel maturing McCleland Islay. I prefer this than the Highlands and the Lowlands. Yes its a young Bowmore.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby whiskywoman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:42 pm

The McClellands Highland was the first whiskey I tried. I really like it. It has a serious bite.
whiskywoman

Postby triguy42 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:28 am

I had a bottle of this at one point, bought for also about $20. I didn't put down any notes but from memory it was a typical non-sherried speysider. Malty, oaky, a touch spicy but definitely young and still a bit harsh. I felt it was a fairly good malt for the price. I bought a bottle of the McClelland's Islay malt a long while back and it was definitely a young Bowmore with the older ferny-irony flavor profile. No idea what a current bottling of the Islay would be like, but I seem to remember reading that the McClelland was definitely Bowmore.
triguy42

Postby Ol' Jas » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:53 am

It's been a while since I had their Highland bottling, but I remember liking the finish quite a bit. Fresh and "blasty" as I recall. I keep thinking of picking it up again when I need a new cheapie. (It'll either be that or the Tamdhu.)

The other McClelland's stuff is hit-or-miss.
* The Islay is decent for some cheap smoke or to zip-up my "everything goes into the big decanter" blend.
* The Lowland is as boring as you'd expect.
* The Speyside is nasty. Gross flowery and vomity. I think it's probably responsible for me largely avoiding Speysides for the past couple years. After a couple drams, that whole bottle went into the decanter with a few other expendibles that I thought would counteract it.

As long as they're doing the region thing, though, they really need to do a Campbeltown. Bottle up some young Glen Scotia on the cheap, McClelland's! : )
Ol' Jas

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:18 am

McClelland's is put out by Morrison Bowmore. They own Auchentoshan, Glen Garioch and... what was it? Oh yeah - Bowmore.

I think that kinda limits what you'll find in McClelland's. :)
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder