Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Arran Malt Tokaji Aszu finish

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : The Arran Malt The Arran Malt

The Arran Malt Tokaji Aszu finish

Postby Megawatt » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:22 am

From what I've read on the web, Tokaji-finished whiskies don't seem to get a lot of love. I picked up a bottle of The Arran Malt, aged 8 years and then finished for 7 months in a Tokaji Aszu wine cask. It's bottled at 55% alc/vol and non-chillfiltered.

I was drinking it with water at first, which opened up the nose nicely but didn't do much for the taste. Now that I've been taking it straight up, I must say that I really like this stuff. Chocolate hits the palate immediately. It quickly gets syrupy with tropical fruit and then BAM! a big spicy kick from the high proof and just the Arran characteristic taking effect. The single-cask cognac finish had the huge wave of fruit and spice as well. This whisky has fantastic flavour.

The finish is long and sweet with just a slight sour note and an oaky taste. This is one of those whiskies that I didn't start to really enjoy until halfway through the bottle, which is always unfortunate.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Re: The Arran Malt Tokaji Aszu finish

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Megawatt wrote:I must say that I really like this stuff.

Me too!

I find it superior to the Amarone Finish (more harmonious) and 10 Year Old (more oomph), and enjoy it just as much as the 1996 Bourbon Cask Strength bottling. The combination of Tokaji wood and distillate seems to work well in this case.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:32 pm

I am a big fan of Tokaji dessert wine and I would like to try some Tokaji finished Whisky. Are there any you can recommend besides this one so I have a few options at my local store.
Thank you
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Megawatt » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:30 am

scotchdrinker wrote:I am a big fan of Tokaji dessert wine and I would like to try some Tokaji finished Whisky. Are there any you can recommend besides this one so I have a few options at my local store.
Thank you
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : The Arran Malt The Arran Malt

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder