Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban

Postby Megawatt » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:10 am

This is an intersting whisky that seems to change from glass to glass, so I'll do my best to describe it for those that haven't had it.

This is a Highland single malt aged for at least 10 years in ex-bourbon barrels before spending an unspecified finishing period in ruby port pipes. It's bottled at 92 proof and non-chillfiltered.

Nosed from the bottle, there is a fruity wine aroma, very sharp and aromatic. In the glass, the colour is striking. It is a distinct orange with copper tones.

For this tasting I added a splash of water. The nose is sweet and slightly oily, but with less of a wine aroma than from the bottle. I'm reminded of raspberry jam on buttered toast for some reason, more than anything else.

Tasting notes for this whisky always describe chocolate mint, but I don't get that from it. There is a peppery bite and a salty tang which get the palate going, then soft, melting malt flavour. Again I don't notice the mint; if anything, a chocolate-cherry flavour.

Further nosing reveals perfumed notes of rosewater. I know this all sounds quite pretentious but this is truly a complex whisky that is not nearly as sweet and light as you might think.

It finishes on a pleasant fruity note. I wasn't sure what to make of this at first but like most good whiskies it revealed itself to me over several tastings and by the end of the bottle I have nothing but good things to say about it.

If anyone else has opinions on this whisky or others in the Glenmorangie range, I'd love to hear them.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Re: Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban

Postby shulaw05 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:26 am

nice review. my wife bought me a bottle in a duty free shop a few months back. i agree with your tasting notes for the most part, lot of cherry/rasberrry (general berry flavors) on the nose and palate. i also did not taste any minty flavors. to me this is not an everyday dram, but rather something i really need to be craving. not surprisingly (as it was finished in port pipes), it is something i find myself drinking after diner, usually after seafood for some reason.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:19 am

I'm very happy I'm not the only one to not pick up on the 'mint' aspect of this malt, as my good friend has ribbed me constantly for this lack of perceptual capacity on my part! :mrgreen:

I have 'mixed emotions' concerning the Quinta Ruban, finding it a more assertive and challenging whisky in some respects than the old Port Wood version it's replaced. Yet I still miss the smooth, effortless nature of the Port Wood Finish.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:00 pm

Me too. This was close to an "All around whisky" that people are failing to define on another thread!

I drank lots of it, as much as Ardbeg 10, and miss it. :cry:

I didn't enjoy my QR as much. Possibly because I was looking for/expecting a "fortified" version of the old Portwood.

I actually prefer the Lasanta, though I've heard the latest bottlings are a bit "sulphurry". But possibly best of the three "new" finished whiskies, I like the Nectar D'Or best, finished in Suternes "pudding wine" barrels.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:23 am

Never having had the Portwood, I have to say I like the QR - oh, and I didn't get any mint, either. I think I like the Nectar d'Or better, but I haven't had that in almost a year, so I'd need to do a side-by-side. Might be something to do when I'm in Vegas next month. . .
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:52 pm

Bill,
I am actually on the other side of that. I have never had the QR of the Nectar but, I used to frequent the old Port Wood all the time it was amazing. Unfortunately I was unaware of the discontinuing of it so was unable to acquire another bottler for savings. I am going to have to find something else to replace was thinking the QR but I think I need to try it first before I buy it.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Whisky » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:32 am

I was pretty impressed with the Qunita Ruban. (I was quite aprehensive about it having read some of the tasting notes on this site.) Very pleasant as an after dinner dram.
Whisky

Postby jazz lover » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:10 pm

I was disappointed with this new expression.
The older port wood was a much nicer bottle.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:53 pm

whisky and jazz lover thank you for your input. I have heard many differing things I think when it comes down to it I am going to just have to try it first.

jazz lover the one thing I have read is that a lot of people who liked the old port wood do not like the QR cause they are comparing them but the thing is they are not comparable I have heard.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:47 am

I just bought a bottle today and plan on trying some tonite. Their Lasanta is great IMHO. I figured this can't be that bad.
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby RogerB » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:36 pm

I never tried the old Port Wood expression, but just picked up The Quinta Ruban and Lasanta yesterday. I liked them both, but will have to do some more taste testing to see how many different flavors are going on. I do like the Burgundy Wood a lot, of the old finishes, and the Sherry Wood wasn't bad either.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:12 pm

I picked up a bottle of the QR last week but I have yet to try it, I decided not to wait to try it in a bar and just get a bottle. I have a lot of friends and family who want to try it so I figured a bottle was a better way to go. But, I have had a hectic last week or so, so I haven't gotten to it yet :cry: . I will let you all know what I think after I try it.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:28 pm

So I finally was able to have a dram of this amazing SMS last night. it blew me away :shock: . I really wasn't sure what to expect since I have read so many different reviews and many said that if you liked the old port wood finish you won't like the QR but they were dead wrong in my opinion. I honestly will say it has been a long time since I have had the old port wood finish but I remember how much I liked, and it was my favorite. But, I am happy to say it was great.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:12 pm

Here is my review:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

I have finally tried it!

Glenmorangie finished, ahem, I mean 'extra-matured' in port casks. Now bottled unchillfiltered at 46% Of the new releases which debuted at Whisky Fringe, this was the most popular and won quite a few votes in the Spirit of the Fringe competition. The most heavily finished of the new bottlings.

Color: Medium brown, kind of like a caramel color but maybe a little bit more bronze. The legs coated the glass nicely, not super thick but not thinly in the middle, they we're there for a little bit.

Nose: Semisweet but not too sweet. I fell in love from the first whiff. The nose opened up a little after a few minutes and it seemed a little bit more in your face but still not overbearing.

Taste: It was a nice balance of sweetness and nirvana with a little bit of that whack behind the head that makes it Scotch and not wine in my opinion. From the reviews I read I wasn't so sure I was going to like this Scotch but I think I have found my replacement to the Old Port Wood Finish. it is different because it is unchill filtered but it is so smooth and nice and the taste buds it has been one of the easiest Scotch's I have had in a long time.

Finish: The finish was very smooth and subtle so you haven't forgotten what you just drank and it didn't overpower the rest of the dram.

Comments: I have found my replacement to the Old Port Wood Finish, it's amazing.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby lou_tribal » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:52 am

In order of preference:

1. Quinta ruban
2. Lasanta
3. Nectar d'Or

For me the Nectar d'Or lack something... the final is "warm" and "sweet", but it is really missing something. However overall it is not bad at all but really not my preferred one.
Happy tasting :)
lou_tribal

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:42 am

I picked up a bottle a week ago and am enjoying it enormously. For a 12 year old malt, it is exhibiting complexity of flavors beyond its age.

Highly recommended!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby SheltieBoy » Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Yum!
What an extraordinary whisky! Me likee!

Exotic and complex, rich and mysterious! Of course, I never met a Glenmo I didn't like!
SheltieBoy

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder