Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Jim Beam Black

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Jim Beam Black

Postby Megawatt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:01 am

There are so few bourbons available in Ontario that it's worth rejoicing over obtaining such a good-quality whiskey at a modest price.

For those that don't know, Jim Beam Black is a straight Kentucky Bourbon. It's aged 8 years and bottled at 86 proof.

It has the deep golden colour one would expect from a mature bourbon. The nose is delicious: sweet caramel, traces of walnut and brown sugar and banana, charred wood.

It enters lively yet soft on the palate, with developing spice. The sweet vanilla-caramel is evident and a hint of cherry. As it sits on the tongue nutty and smoky flavours develop and linger into the finish, which is of medium length.

A tasty and satisfying whiskey to warm you up in these frigid months. Makes me wish I had access to more good bourbons.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Re: Jim Beam Black

Postby shulaw05 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:48 am

what bourbons do you have access to in ontario? Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, William Weller, Parker Heritage, George Stagg...any of these?
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby lancj1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 am

I dont mind Jim Beam Black, I think like many products that are "mainstream" it suffers a little from a bit of snobbery.

I must say that after my most recent Woodford demonstrated the inconsistency I had only previously read about on here, I may be choosing JB B more often
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Jim Beam Black is pretty good. I don't plan on buying any as it seems to be readily available in most restaurants and watering holes. Though not my favorite bourbon, a good choice in a lot of cases.

When Woodford Reserve pumps out a consistant, good bourbon, that, imho, is hard to beat.
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby Megawatt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:11 pm

shulaw05 wrote:what bourbons do you have access to in ontario? Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, William Weller, Parker Heritage, George Stagg...any of these?

Nope, none of those. We have:

Knob Creek (love it)
Woodford Reserve (quite good)
Maker's Mark (quite good)
Jim Beam, white and black
Bulleit (pretty decent)
Wild Turkey (regular 80 proof, not a big fan)

That's it. If you include all the different bottle sizes, and the Jack Daniels lineup, there are exactly 20 different bottles available.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby shulaw05 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:27 pm

that's a shame
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:41 pm

We Canadians do suffer somewhat when it comes to the range of American whiskies offered by our liquor monopolies. :cry:

The LCBO did carry, at one time, all 4 of the Jim Beam small-batch series (Baker's, Basil Hayden, Booker's and Knob Creek), but I suppose that's 'history' now.

However, the LCBO is currently stocking the Reserve from Corner Creek Distillery. And it also has a listing for a 4x50ml mini gift pack from Allied Distillers. Could this be a Jim Beam small-batch sampler? Perhaps.

By the way, I feel that Jim Beam Black is a woefully underappreciated pour.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lucas » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:58 pm

The range of bourbons I get in Scotland is quite poor... but I get wee gems every now and then. Had Blanton’s Gold Edition a couple days ago, I believe that's not available over the pond!
Lucas

Postby bond » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 am

Jim Beam is one bourbon I love too. While I possibly prefer a Knobs Creek and Makers Mark to it, the easier availability of JB makes it my most requested bourbon whenever someone is flying in.

Its clearly a few notches above the Jim Beam white label too.

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:19 pm

The only way I drink bourbon is with Coke, and for my taste nothing beats Knob Creek. JBB, is pretty good though for the price.

The best bourbon I ever had was Wild Turkey 17 year. My brother-in-law had a bottle. Fantastic stuff..drank it straight.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Megawatt » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:21 am

Knob Creek is my favourite as well. First bourbon I ever tried, in fact.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:55 pm

lancj1 wrote:I dont mind Jim Beam Black, I think like many products that are "mainstream" it suffers a little from a bit of snobbery.

I must say that after my most recent Woodford demonstrated the inconsistency I had only previously read about on here, I may be choosing JB B more often

Woodford definitely has quality control problems as I attested to on another thread. A friend of mine recently got a bad bottle too.

Jim Beam Black is something I will have to try. I like standard bottling of Jack Daniels with an ice cube and suspect that this is similar in flavour profile. Plus I am going to the states soon where their bourbon is very cheap!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:35 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:Jim Beam Black is something I will have to try. I like standard bottling of Jack Daniels with an ice cube and suspect that this is similar in flavour profile. Plus I am going to the states soon where their bourbon is very cheap!

JB Black is much smoother and more complex than the regular JD, or even Gentleman Jack (which is smoother than the regular JD as well).

Given the wide availability of JB Black, if I were southbound, I'd concentrate on tracking down some more exclusive American whiskey expressions such as George T. Stagg (you never know, you just might happen upon some!), Sazerac Rye, Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve (15YO, 20YO or 13YO Rye), Elijah Craig (12YO or 18YO), Wild Turkey Rare Breed, etc., etc.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:15 am

Thanks for the input Third Dram.

I checked with my local liquor store and they have plenty of JB Black, so when I go to the states I will obviously buy something that is not readily available where I live. One that i will definitely search for is Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve. Your recommendation triggered my recollection of a lot of praise I have read elsewhere in the forum for it. Plus, American produced spirits are very reasonably priced, at least from the perspective of an over-taxed Canadian.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:46 am

Got a bottle of Jim Beam Black, and frankly I was not expecting much. I was delighted by how good it was. Here is my tasting note:

Nose
Delicate, slightly floral, more oak and lots of vanilla. Maybe a little charcoal too. Impressive. Not what I expected from a bourbon.

Palate (undiluted)
The palate fulfills the promise made by the nose. Initial mild sweetness that I had difficulty putting my finger on. Eventually, I figured it might be corn or rye flavor, but still not sure. What I am sure of is that it's damn nice. Anyhow, following entry to the palate, the flavor moves to big, soaring oak, followed by, at the mid-palate point, wonderful, tremendous cleansing wafts of charcoal. The charcoal flavor is fantastic! Very cleansing! Last but not least, tsunami waves of vanilla wash across the palate.

Finish
Short to medium finish begins with a sweet burn of cinnamon and candy cane, after which it moves onto a grand finale of charcoal and vanilla, fading like embers of a late night campfire. It's nice.

What is such a pleasure about drinking bourbon is that sweet charcoal flavor that you will never find in scotch. No nasty bite, heat or aftertaste. Lingering vanilla, oak and charcoal woven carefully like a hand rolled cigar. Very, very nice!

Will defintely buy again. It's kinda the comfort food equivalent in the whisky world for me.

Cheers!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:34 am

I find it tough to believe JB can make a good bourbon based on the "white" lable offering. Granted I do like their Bookers and i am a fan of the small batch bourbons like Blantons and Elija Craig even though the BCLB has discontinued the importation of these quality whiskys.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:38 am

Drammed wrote:I find it tough to believe JB can make a good bourbon based on the "white" lable offering. Granted I do like their Bookers and i am a fan of the small batch bourbons like Blantons and Elija Craig even though the BCLB has discontinued the importation of these quality whiskys.

Don't let thoughts of Jim Beam White Label discourage you from trying the Black. To do so would be like comparing Glenlivet 12 to the 18 or Johnnie Red to the Blue.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:42 am

I always found the white label to be quite decent considering its status and price. So far as quality goes I'd rate it more in line with a JW Black than Red.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:47 am

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:
Drammed wrote:I find it tough to believe JB can make a good bourbon based on the "white" lable offering. Granted I do like their Bookers and i am a fan of the small batch bourbons like Blantons and Elija Craig even though the BCLB has discontinued the importation of these quality whiskys.

Don't let thoughts of Jim Beam White Label discourage you from trying the Black. To do so would be like comparing Glenlivet 12 to the 18 or Johnnie Red to the Blue.

well Glenvilit 18 is a quality whisky, I do enjoy the Nadurra far more. If JB comes out with a cask strength or at least above 43% whisky, I'd be willing to try it. Like the Bookers,. That is good bourbon!!
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:49 am

Well...I'm glad that there are more people here who enjoy Jim Beam Black. I was beginning to feel lonely.

I enjoy the whole Beam family: white, black and their wacko cousin, yellow.

:o
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:53 am

Drammed wrote:
Novice Scotch Fan wrote:

well Glenvilit 18 is a quality whisky, I do enjoy the Nadurra far more. If JB comes out with a cask strength or at least above 43% whisky, I'd be willing to try it. Like the Bookers,. That is good bourbon!!

You're in luck! Jim Beam owns and produces Knob Creek (50%). However, they market it separately without explicit reference to Jim Beam. It's very good.

Bourbon is a nice change from scotch with the added bonus of much lower prices. Even top end bourbons like Woodford Reserve are at the price point where single malts start!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:03 am

I enjoy the Woodfords Reserve very much (I have a bottle nearly finished now). I can taste the grain element, but it does not bother me much at that price point. The SMS's that start around Woodford are Glenfiddich 12 and I would rather drink Woodford than Fiddich 12.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Alan Gold Label » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:56 pm

there's a pub near me with a few Bourbons - Wild Turkey 8yr, Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark and a few others. They don't have this Jim Beam Black though which is ashame cause I'd like to try it. I was intrigued when I saw it on the shelves in Sainburys in Newry and was going to take the plunge but I don't like buying whiskey I've not tasted.

Does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin with a bottle ?
Alan Gold Label

Postby Whisky1978 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Bourbon is not quite my style. (I'm not a fan of the rye tones and almost every bourbon has them) But if I have to pick one it would be Jim Beam Black (Although there is some inconsistency in the bottlings). But fore les than 20 euro a bottle It's still a good deal. I also like Knob Creek 9Y, It's good available and still affordable.
Whisky1978
Bronze Member

Postby Megawatt » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:23 pm

Another bourbon recently appears on the Ontario market: Eagle Rare single barrel. Can't remember but I think it's a 10 year old, bottled at 90 proof. I hope to pick some up one day.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby RogerB » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:20 am

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:
You're in luck! Jim Beam owns and produces Knob Creek (50%). However, they market it separately without explicit reference to Jim Beam. It's very good.

Jim Beam also makes Basil Hayden, Bakers, and Bookers, and I believe the Old Grand Dad line too.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:49 pm

I can get Bookers True Barrel. I think I have read most people like Bookers. With respect to this particular offering, any comments or tasting notes would be most appreciated. :thumbsup:
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:03 am

Megawatt wrote:There are so few bourbons available in Ontario that it's worth rejoicing over obtaining such a good-quality whiskey at a modest price.

For those that don't know, Jim Beam Black is a straight Kentucky Bourbon. It's aged 8 years and bottled at 86 proof.

It has the deep golden colour one would expect from a mature bourbon. The nose is delicious: sweet caramel, traces of walnut and brown sugar and banana, charred wood.

It enters lively yet soft on the palate, with developing spice. The sweet vanilla-caramel is evident and a hint of cherry. As it sits on the tongue nutty and smoky flavours develop and linger into the finish, which is of medium length.

A tasty and satisfying whiskey to warm you up in these frigid months. Makes me wish I had access to more good bourbons.

I find it odd that Canadian labelling of Jim Beam Black makes no mention of aged 8 yrs whereas US bottlings it does. Any reason why this is the case?
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby anationonfire » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:59 am

I have no real answer but even bottles that I have purchased a year and half ago stated that it was aged 8 years. I suppose if they age it 7 years and 11 month they can't state that it is an 8 yo spirit. perhaps they can't keep up with the demand?

The bottles seem to stay consistent so no complaints here.
I also might add I drink more Black Beam then any thing in my cupboard.
Bang for the buck its the best Bourbon in Canada, I bring many bottles higher priced bourbon back from the states but it works as my fix.
Black beam is also my favorite whiskey to add to coke works perfectly,

Seamless.
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:36 pm

I am speculating that the reason that there is no mention of "8yrs" on the front label where I am is because it is a bilingual province (New Brunswick) and the labeling is bilingual. But, I do agree, the flavor is the same as the American bottles I have brought over the border in the past.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Had JB Black in Florida and compared it to George Dickel No 12. JB was superior. Dickel was a disappointment. Too much sourness, yeasty, yogurty notes...bitterness at the end...I wouldn't buy again. BUT the JB Black is a deal at the price point when compared to Knob Creek.
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:08 am

Bruichladdict wrote:Had JB Black in Florida and compared it to George Dickel No 12. JB was superior. Dickel was a disappointment. Too much sourness, yeasty, yogurty notes...bitterness at the end...I wouldn't buy again. BUT the JB Black is a deal at the price point when compared to Knob Creek.

Jim Beam Black is at a great price, but I think Knob Creek is a very different and frankly superior bourbon. Accordingly the price is commensurate with the step up in complexity.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Tue May 11, 2010 11:18 pm

Picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 years old. Quite liking it so far. Maybe I'll post more complete thoughts later. I find it rather hard to compare bourbons from memory, because the oily, charred-wood, bourbon taste sort of overwhelms more subtle impressions. This one is a little softer and sweeter than others I've tried.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Wed May 12, 2010 3:09 pm

My friend, the Eagle Rare is one of the finest whiskies made. Rub a bit on between your hands then sniff...tell me what you smell...pure chocoloate, that's what I got.

You would also like its cheaper, though no less quality, cousin, Buffalo Trace NAS (nine yo). In a blind lineup, you would have a hard time figuring out that it was a bourbon! Both are under 30$ in NY.
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby 37degrees » Wed May 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Recently I've tried these: Jim Beam white, black, yellow (rye); Eagle Rare 10, Buffalo Trace; Jack Daniels; Makers Mark.

Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are far the best ones.
Then it's probably Jack D no matter what people say :oops:
Then Jim Beam Black.
I really don't like Makers Mark, will use it as a mixer..
37degrees

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder