Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park 12

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Highland Park 12

Postby smn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:38 pm

Is it legal to mature bourbon in barrels made of european oak? Now that would make an interesting whisky maturation.
smn

Postby lockejn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:31 pm

smn wrote:Is it legal to mature bourbon in barrels made of european oak? Now that would make an interesting whisky maturation.

It can't legally be called bourbon unless it's matured in American oak. But you could mature a bourbon-like whiskey in European oak for the desired result.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:02 pm

I wonder if they are stating that their Single Malt only comes from sherry casks but they use Bourbon casks for whisky destined to be blended, I would think that would be the economical way to do it since Bourbon casks I believe are cheaper than sherry.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:19 pm

There's good and not-so-good oak to be found, whether it be ex-Bourbon, ex-Sherry, American, European or otherwise.

The fact that a producer utilizes ex-Sherry European oak casks for maturing its whisky doesn't necessarily imply the resulting high quality of the spirit that goes into the bottle. Plus, experts in wood maturation for whiskies seem to be increasingly focusing on the greater importance of the oak itself relative to the effects of what sort of other spirit or fortified wine might have previously rested in that oak.

Also, if one traces maturation trends back to the 19th-Century, one sees that preferences for one sort of cask/barrel over another tend to move in cycles. And these cycles are often largely driven by economics. Presently, high quality oak barrels of any ilk are steadily rising in cost.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Klondike » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:17 pm

I just talked to a guy employed by the Highland Park distillery last week, and he said that the 12YO (latest bottling) is 100% ex-sherry casks. He actually mentioned a percentage of european and american oak, but I don't recall exact numbers. From memory I think it was 80% American and 20% European for the latest 12YO, but I'm not sure. I tried it and must say I was rather impressed, my experience much mirrors that of the OP. The guy from the distillery didn't say whether or not they still have bourbon casks maturing but I'm sure they do.

As a side note I have consumed a bottle of the 1977 21YO Bicentenary Release. I found a bit less Sherry than in the latest 12YO but a lot more peat. BTW; wasn't it 40% abv. and not 43% ?

Also agree that the 16YO 1 litre duty free bottling is sub-par re: the recent 12YO. Save the money and buy the 12YO IMHO.
Last edited by Klondike on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klondike

Postby lbacha » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Klondike wrote:As a side note I have consumed a bottle of the 1977 21YO Bicentenary Release. I found a bit less Sherry than in the latest 12YO but a lot more peat. BTW; wasn't it 40% abv. and not 43% ?

I have a couple bottles of Bicentenary at home they are the 75cl US bottlings and they are 43% I believe, from everything I've heard the 70cl European bottles that came in the wooden box were 40%. I would love to get a sample of the 40% so I can compare the two since the Euopean bottle got good reviews but I can't find reviews on the US bottle.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:13 pm

HP Bicentenary - :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Klondike » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:49 am

Ah, didn't realize there were multiple bottlings. Mine is a 70 cl. bottle at 40% abv.

Ganga wrote:HP Bicentenary - :thumbsup:

Yes, magnificent stuff!!
Klondike

Postby lbacha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:58 pm

Klondike wrote:Ah, didn't realize there were multiple bottlings. Mine is a 70 cl. bottle at 40% abv.

Ganga wrote:HP Bicentenary - :thumbsup:

Yes, magnificent stuff!!

Yeah there is the UK bottling @ 40% and then the US bottling @ 43% that came out a little later, not sure why they upped the proof. I havn't cracked open a bottle of it yet so I'm not sure if it is as good as the UK version which I tried at Limburg a few years back.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder