Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bruichladdich Links Carnoustie 14yo

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:39 pm

The next in Bruichladdich's golf course series, released to coincide with the Open Championship. Matured in bourbon than red wine casks (from Chateau Haut Brion). A release of 12,000 bottles.

Color: Dark cherry red with a tint of brown. Not too dark still translucent in a way as whisky can be. The legs were not very thick and didnt coat the side of the glass for long.

Nose: Smokey, at first smell I thought I wasn't going to like by how smokey it was, almost peaty. But, I waited a few minutes and the smokiness mellowed out and it was quite nice. A little sweet and fruity but not so much that you thought you were smelling a desert wine.

Taste: It was a nice balance of smoke and fruitiness, when I smelled it I thought I wasn't going to like it because of how smokey it seemed to smell. I am not a fan of peaty whiskies and from the reviews I had read of this I thought I wasn't going to like it, they all said peaty and let me tell you I didn't feel much peat in it.

Finish: I really didn't notice the finish/aftertaste I don't think it was very lingering, it was similar to the rest of the dram from what I remember but it was short.

Comments: This was my first Bruichladdich I have had, I found it to be very enjoyable. I would recommend it to someone who wants to try something new and hasn't already. I would like to find something else very similar to it to have. I am always open to suggestions.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Re: Bruichladdich Links Carnoustie 14yo

Postby r900p » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:48 pm

I quite enjoyed the Torrey Pines Links bottling, it was a while ago now so its well and truely gone. You could give that a go.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:39 pm

I will definitely look into trying that. Thank you Rob.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby petrol9to5 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:49 pm

Yes - I can vouch for Torrey Pines as a particularly nice one of the Links series too. If you like that I can also recommend the Bruichladdich "First Growth" series. I've just polished off the Pomerol finished one, which was absoutely stunning. I'm told the Margeaux finish is also tremendous.
petrol9to5

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:57 pm

Sounds very interesting. How sweet are they?
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder