Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Centennial 10 year old rye whisky

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Centennial 10 year old rye whisky

Postby Megawatt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:11 am

Thought I'd post some notes on a Canadian whisky I just picked up.

Centennial is a Canadian whisky distilled in Alberta by Highwood Distillers. It's made from wheat and rye, which sets it apart from most Canadians, and aged for 10 years in chilled and charred oak (never heard of casks being chilled before).

The bottle is worth mentioning. It's sleek and long-necked with a striking label and a cork top, also unusual in Canadian whisky. The whisky is pale gold, attesting to the lack of added colouring (I believe most of Highwood's whiskies are free of additives).

The nose is clean and light. Very slight fruitiness, a hint of cherries, and an earthen aroma like a moss-covered log. On the palate there is immediate spiciness. Chewy caramel and brown sugar, but not sweet and cloying like a typical entry-level Canadian. Quick fade, some slight oaky bitterness.

This is a different style of whisky from its mainstream contemporaries like Canadian Club Reserve and Wiser's Deluxe. More comparable to Alberta Springs. It has more flavour and bite than its 15-year-old Century Reserve counterpart, but is otherwise quite similar. It actually reminds me of what bourbon might taste like if you were to remove that sweet, oily corn flavour. Must be the spice and cherry that makes me think of it.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Re: Centennial 10 year old rye whisky

Postby anationonfire » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 am

Very good write up Megawatt, where abouts are you from??
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks! I'm from Flamborough, Ontario.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Megawatt wrote:It has more flavour and bite than its 15-year-old Century Reserve counterpart, but is otherwise quite similar.

The 15YO isthe only one available in my neck of the woods.
Sounds interesting. Thank you for the write-up.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder