Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tasting Order Q: Scotchtoberfest 2009

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Tasting Order Q: Scotchtoberfest 2009

Postby WiskyB » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:00 pm

Hello all. First off, thanks up front for helping me out. I've been lurking and reading the archives for awhile & it's high time I settle in and start contributing to a message board.

Short version:
I'm throwing "Scotchtoberfest 2009" & need to rank the tasting order of 10 bottles (!). Not everyone will be tasting every bottle, to keep it sane.

Explanation: :smoke:
Even though I'm far from a scotch expert, every year or so I throw a scotch tasting. We consider ourselves "scotch curious". We each bring our own bottle, "present it" in order, & we taste & compare. One married couple actually met each other at one of these tastings. It works out really well and a lot of scotch drinkers are born this way. It's usually the one party everyone talks about all year. The enthusiasm is high, one guy even printed Scotchtoberfest t-shirts this year. They look pretty bad-ass actually. And of course nobody drives afterward.

So here's my tentative ordering of the bottles, what do you think?

1) Scapa 14
2) Macallan 12
3) Glenmorangie - The Nectar D'Ã’r (NAS)
4) The Balvenie DoubleWood 12
5) The Balvenie PortWood 21
6) Highland Park 12
7) The Glenlivet Nàdurra 16
8. Laphroaig 10
9) Lagavulin 16
10) Caol Ila 18
WiskyB

Re: Tasting Order Q: Scotchtoberfest 2009

Postby borgom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:17 pm

Hmmm that's a hard selection to order. I can't comment on Scapa and Portwood because I haven't tried them but of the others I would probably go with....

1) Macallan 12
2) The Balvenie DoubleWood 12
3) Glenmorangie • The Nectar D’Òr (NAS)
4) The Glenlivet Nàdurra 16
5) Highland Park 12
6) Caol Ila 18
7) Laphroaig 10
8) Lagavulin 16
borgom
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:17 pm

WiskyB wrote:1) Scapa 14
2) Macallan 12
3) Glenmorangie • The Nectar D’Òr (NAS)
4) The Balvenie DoubleWood 12
5) The Balvenie PortWood 21
6) Highland Park 12
7) The Glenlivet Nàdurra 16
8. Laphroaig 10
9) Lagavulin 16
10) Caol Ila 18

One possible way in which to stagger these would be to separate them into regional-stylistic groups. Along these lines, you might offer them as follows...

Group 1
Scapa
Highland Park

Group 2
Balvenie Double Wood
Macallan (both Sherry casked)

Group 3
Laphroaig
Caol Ila
Lagavulin (the 'big' hitters of the evening)

Group 4
Glenmorangie
Balvenie Port Wood
Glenlivet Nadurra (a nice 'dessert' combo to finish up)
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby WiskyB » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:20 am

<<< One possible way in which to stagger these would be to separate them into regional-stylistic groups. >>>

I love this idea. I'm on it. One Q: why not have the peat monsters last? Or am I opening a can of worms that would fit better in a new thread?

Cheers
WiskyB

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:14 pm

WiskyB wrote:One Q: why not have the peat monsters last?

I just thought that placing those last and 'displacing' the 'Group 4' whiskies to immediately following the Sherry casked ones would create a bit too much of a 'sweet hit' in the middle of the tasting. Also, the order I proposed makes for a nice 'back-and-forth' contrast (Group 1: balanced sweet-dry characteristics; Group 2: rather sweet owing to the Sherry wood influence; Group 3: the sweet malt characteristics AMPLY counterbalanced by bracing salt and smoke; Group 4: a return to sweetness enhanced, in the case of the Balvenie PW and Glenmorangie ND'O, by wine cask finishing and, in the case of the Glenlivet, by the ample alcohol level).

By the way... Love the Waterloo region and have spent a great deal of time there over the years!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder