Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cigars and Whisky?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Cigars and Whisky?

Postby Laphroaig » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:02 pm

Wondering do any of you contributors enjoy an occassional cigar with your whisky?

If so, do any of you care to list favorite combinations you've enjoyed previously? Or throw out some examples you think go well with cigars in general. I'm mindful that whisky as well as cigars are vintaged so I don't expect to duplicate anyone's past experience, just getting ideas of what others have enjoyed.

Thanks.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Richard Quilly » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:26 am

I just drink Laphroaig, which is like having a whisky and a cigar at the same time.
Richard Quilly

Postby rrfbfan » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:21 am

I love a whisky with my cigars for me cigars were a passion first, I am just now getting into whisky. So my experiance is pretty limited. So far, I would have to say my favorite combination has been ERDM Choix Supreme and Black Bush. They seemed to match each other really well.

Speaking of cigars...do you go by the same name on the CA boards?
rrfbfan

Postby Laphroaig » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:43 am

That would be me. 8)
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby mxmcat » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:29 am

I, too, enjoy my whisky with a cigar.
Last good result : Port Ellen 1978 with a Montecristo C Edicion Limitada.

I did a Old Pulteney 1969 with a Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or N°2 very good too.

More generaly : Nikka Yoishi 10 yo Full strength, Papy Van Winkle 20 yo (not 23) , S. Weller 19 yo, Glenfarclas 1970, Macallan 1874 are good with cigars.
mxmcat

Postby Admiral » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:55 am

I was at a special tasting recently which was being held in a function room within a pub.
Here in Australia, a pub is about the last place where people can still legally smoke indoors.

The crowd partaking in the tasting was a mixture of connoisseurs, enthusiasts, sales reps, liquor store owners, and other people in the drinks industry.

The malts being tasted were (amongst others) Glenmorangie 25 year old, and Ardbeg Lord of the Isles.

About halfway through the night, a man near me reached into his pocket, pulled out a packet of cigarettes, and asked his friend for a lighter.

Unfortunately for him, he was surrounded by about 6 keen malt enthusiasts, who threatened him with violence if he lit up! :wink:

My guess is that most people don't want to have cigarette or cigar smoke around when they're trying to enjoy a good malt! :D
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby mxmcat » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:36 am

I think that peoples should make a difference between a "technical" tasting and a pleasure tasting.

When I go to whisky clubs or professionals tastings, I don't smoke during tastings. But when I want to delight with a malt I like to smoke. All this is a part of pleasure.

It's like wine : if you really want to "taste" it, you must drink it alone, but if you want to enjoy it, it's better with a good lunch !
Same for whiskies ...
mxmcat

Postby Leonidych » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:47 pm

When earlier this week I tasted Ardbeg Uideadail, it encouraged me to try a first cigar in my life! I guess, the reason I went for it was that AU was both peaty, which invoked the very idea of cigar - and sherry-sweet which they say suits cigars well (not like Port Ellen or Aberlour a-bunadh but still). I don't smoke (even hate the smoke of cigars!) but let me say this experience was good. Er, I did not inhale, of course! :) Will try this again sometime... :wink:
Leonidych

DISGUSTING

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:54 pm

No half measures with me here, I'm afraid.

Good single malt in moderation - wonderful.

Cigarettes, pipes, cigars - disgusting. I've seen people dying of cancer and want no part of it!
Deactivated Member

Postby triboubou » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:34 pm

And with a Cohiba (directly from Cuba) ?
What sort of whisky do you think I could drink ?
triboubou

Postby mxmcat » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:06 am

Wich Cohiba ?
mxmcat

Postby triboubou » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:52 pm

From "Habanos s.a.", produce in cuba.

I'm not an expert in cigar, this is a gift I receive for christmas.
triboubou

Postby Laphroaig » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:05 am

A genuine Cohiba in a good ready to smoke state will go with just about any decent whisky or drink period. Pick your favorite!

As for the person who wants no part of cancer, this is a whisky forum. Keep in mind, you're liver is not exempt! :shock:
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby triboubou » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:14 pm

Oh, I've stopped smoking for 9-10 years.

My question was just curiosity, because I'm not sure that I ever smoke those cigars. :?
triboubou

Postby Laphroaig » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:14 pm

No I think what he meant was which Cohiba vitola are you speaking of. There are the Siglo Series I -VI, Robustos, Lanceros, Esplendidos, etc.
In addition to the Habanos SA version there is the gawd awful (MHO) Dominican production.

Anyway enjoy.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:13 pm

I think there is a growing link between Whisky and Cigars. Did you read this story ... Whisky & Cigar Challenge ( http://www.whiskymag.com/news/1284.html ).

I also have a feeling there will be more on this subject in coming issues of Whisky Magazine.
Matt2

Postby Laphroaig » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:35 pm

Matt:

Thanks for the link. I heard about this tasting / pairing. Too bad I can't make the event! Stupid embargo thing
:x

Hope this won't be what is considered a "THREAD JACK" -but-
Speaking of the article... I've said it before and I'm glad the particular article made mention of this specific malt. The Macallan Cask Strength won a cigar pairing award. Isn't the Mac Cask strength in terms of money spent for product received - hands down the best item offered in the Macallan line up? My opinion for a while now has been exactly that! It's getting to be that way with other names too. Particularly I think the Laphroaig Cask Strength is another example. The distillery experts tell you the chill filtering doesn't do harm. What a load. . .
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder