Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

anCnoc 12

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

anCnoc 12

Postby Megawatt » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:22 pm

I have just opened a bottle of this single Highland malt from the Knockdhu distillery. I was expecting pretty big things after reading some glowing reviews of the whisky.

There was little aroma when nosed from the bottle, which right away suggests a milder whisky. I poured some in a Glencairn glass, took a few sips, and then added a splash of water to open it up a bit. Here are my initial impressions:

The nose is light, grassy. Definitely none of the fruity sweetness you get from a sherried Speyside. Very clean, almost grainy. Light sweetness, bubblegum, and a mineral smell my brain associates with a crushed brick, or maybe chalk dust.

In the mouth it is light-bodied, peppery, almost salty. Surprisingly dry. A bit of honey. Not a ton of development as it spreads across the tongue. It finishes dry and somewhat bitter. Long finish considering the light flavour.

Not what I expected. I don't dislike it but it has neither the robust Speyside sweetness nor the pungent smoke of a coastal malt. Almost seems more Lowland in style.

Toward the end of the glass I get more bourbony notes. This is possibly a whisky that will take some time to appreciate, which is all right.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Re: anCnoc 12

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Perhaps it will improve now that you've taken some off the top?
I recall this particular malt displaying a very bright, pineapple-like fruit quality and excellent balance, and have been considering replenishing that An Cnoc 'hole' on my shelf.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:17 pm

Quite possibly, and I'll post back with second impressions if they have changed at all. This is the polar opposite of Lagavulin 12, which is fine because I like a wide variety in my whisky.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby mongo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:54 am

there is some sherry in this though, correct? i tasted it alongside the 16 year old, and that bottle's label notes that it is all from bourbon casks, and the profile is accordingly austere. the 12 year old is a little richer, and that along with the slightly darker colour, and the lack of cask specificity on the bottle led me to believe that there's some sherry in there. of course, the darker colour may be from caramel....

anyway: i liked it a lot. i even liked it a little more than the 16, but strangely enough if i had to purchase only one of them again i would purchase the 16. this because while the 12 is a little better it plays in the same flavour ballpark as some of my favorite speysides which i think are far superior (the balvenie 15 year old single casks, for instance). the 16 stands out for not going down the sherry route. off the top of my head i would say the 16 reminds me of the glenlivet 18 (which i haven't had in almost 7 months now).
mongo

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:57 am

Hmm, this just came to a store near me and I was considering it but decided to go with the Balblair 1997 12 instead. Anyone have any reviews of the AnCnoc 12, and opinions on if I should pick it up or not?
pkt77242
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder