Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Some advice welcome

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Some advice welcome

Postby reivax » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:22 pm

Hi,

I would like to buy some bottles in the near future and would like to get some that are different enough so that I can choose a strong or light flavour following my mood ...

My own list so far would be to go for Glenmorangie 10yo or Bowmore Doublewood 12yo(light), Hidhland Park 12yo (medium) and Lagavullin 16yo or Talisker 10yo(strong).

What do you think ? Do you have other recommendations or do you think the choices above are reasonnbly accurate. I'm not a real connoisseur yet, so any comment is more than welcome.

Cheers
reivax

Postby Admiral » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:45 am

Bowmore "Doublewood" ?? Light???

Is it possible you meant Balvenie Doublewood?
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:08 pm

For me, a light malt is usually a nice lowland like Bladnoch or Rosebank.

Talisker is a good strong malt as is Lagavulin. Ardbeg is another favorite.

In your mediums there are some lighter islays as well, Bunnahabhain and Bruichladdich.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Some thoughts

Postby jsf » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:30 am

i'm no pro, but i'll give you some of my thoughts.

your short list is reasonable, but i agree with harry that you're missing the real light category -- lowlands (like auchentoshen and those he mentioned) and some others.

also, consider other characteristics rather than just light, medium, and heavy. of course, this will come naturally as you get to know malts better, but for starters, consider whether you like the following (or like them when the mood is right), which come from the short list you gave: spiciness (glenmorangie), smokiness (talisker, lagavulin), sweetness (balvenie (and macallan, which you didn't list, is an obvious one)), exceptional balance (lagavulin, highland park), peatiness (lagavulin). the list could go on.

jsf
jsf

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder