Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What to Purchase when in the UK?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

What to Purchase when in the UK?

Postby birdman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum for this post, but this is the forum that I always gravitate to, so thought it might be the right place.
I live in Toronto, and my sister is currently traveling through the UK and returning in a couple of weeks. She has offered to bring something back for me and as I would like to make her purchase as seamless as possible, I would probably only ask her to get something for me at the duty free in Heathrow. In the past, I have asked her to come back with something "along the lines of a Laphroaig or Lag, that you can't get in North America" and while this approach has occasionally delivered some nice results, more often than not (and I am surely not criticizing my sister), she has been sold something that is...ok.
I am very partial to the Laphroaig 10 (more so than the Quarter Cask or even the 15) and the "old" Ardbeg 10 is one of my favourites. Clearly, I am looking for something along those lines, that you cannot readily get in North America, (or at least in Canada).
Does anyone have a specific suggestion that they know can be found in the duty free at Heathrow that I can say to my sister, "please get me ____"?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA (thanx in advance)
birdman

Re: What to Purchase when in the UK?

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Birdman, go to this thread linked below. It is the same topic and it is currently going on.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10786&p=198115&hilit=heathrow#p198115
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:00 pm

The "new" Ardbeg 10 may be subtely different, but still a great dram,IMO.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby birdman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:29 pm

That is exactly the thread I was looking for.
Thanx for pointing it out. (I have not yet tried the "new" Ardbeg. I am mildly protesting the fact that before the old Ardbeg was taken off the shelf here in Toronto, it was readily available for CDN$74. Now that the new Ardbeg has been introduced, the price has been bumped to about $100.)
birdman

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:35 pm

birdman wrote:...before the old Ardbeg was taken off the shelf here in Toronto, it was readily available for CDN$74. Now that the new Ardbeg has been introduced, the price has been bumped to about $100.

The LCBO has been 'ripping you off' for quite a while, even at that original price point. Ardbeg 10YO was, until very recently, available through the Societe des Alcools de Quebec for $63CDN. It had risen only a few dollars over the past three or four years. Alas, it is currently not listed, and I fear any new arrivals WILL witness a rise in cost.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder