Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Talisker - Crap !!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Talisker - Crap !!

Postby kiwicrusaders » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:40 pm

I bought a bottle of Tailser, after advice from this forum. I was going to wait until my bottle of Ardbeg was finished before trying it ... but temptation got the better of me and I opened it during the course of the week.

I have had 2 or 3 taste testings, and all I can say is 'oh crap, how the hell am I going to top this !!!'

I clearly don't have the delicate taste buds of some on this forum, as I struggle to pick up the green pepper and other tastes people describe.

Whilst I won't say I prefer it to Ardbeg, I would say that I like it as much. Its flavour doesn't linger as long as Ardbeg but it does seem to go through a broader spectrum of tastes on your tounge ... fantastic.

If I were to attempt to describe it, its got a slightly sweet taste, but not enough to take away from the lovely smoky salty taste. It really has a stunning balance of tastes going on. I wish I had the abilty to better describe the complexity of things going on in the mouth ... but alas no.

The only downfall I find with this whisky is that with Ardbeg I find one satifies my tastebuds for quite some time ... the Tasliker you just want more ... dangerous stuff !

In order of preference so far: -

1) Ardbeg and Talisker
2)?
3)?
4)?
5)?
6)?
20ish) Laphoreig Quater Cask (thought this was ok)
100ish) Belvenie Double Wood (Didn't like thought it way to sweet and not whisky enough)

Anyone want to try and fill in my 2-6 to help me with my next purchase? price does come into it somwhat but not too much.
kiwicrusaders

Re: Talisker - Crap !!

Postby shulaw05 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:52 pm

if ardbeg/talisker is #1 on your list and balvenie is #100ish, then you are clearly an islay whisky fan. give lagavulin 16 yr a try. not my cup of tea if you will, but everyone i know who likes islay whiskies loves it. also should give bowmore a try. you should also give ardmore traditional a try. a peated highland malt, and the closest thing i've been able to find to compare to talisker (on a side note, if you find/like ardmore you should give teacher's blended a try, as ardmore is the 'fingerprint' scotch in the blend).
Last edited by shulaw05 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby TheTross » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:53 pm

2) Lagavulin 16 (just do it!)
3) Aberlour a'bunadh (lots of sherry)
4) Springbank 15 (sherried)
5) Highland Park 18 (lots of everything)
6) Pretty much any Rosebank (lighter compared to the above four, but never fails in my book)

would be my recommendations! Might also want to try the Distiller's Edition Talisker (more sherried than the standard bottlings), Bowmore, Caol Ila (both Islay but a little less peated than Ardbeg) and a Japanese whisky or two, particularly Yamazaki or Hakushu (the latter is well-peated so may appeal more to you if you like 'em peaty).

I would mention St. Magdalene, but these are on the expensive side. If you find one though and can afford to buy it, buy it! Also known as Linlithgow, this is one of my favourite distilleries and every expression I've had (12 at the last count) has been very good or better.
Last edited by TheTross on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Collector57 wrote:Wot! No Maggie?

Didn't include it due to a matter of price at first, but it felt wrong to omit it so I just edited my post to make it right :D
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:02 pm

How about? ...

kiwicrusaders wrote:2)? Old Pulteney 12YO - an immediately attractive, anytime sort of coastal whisky that goes down far too easily.
3)? Clynelish 14YO - not too far away locality wise from OP. Lots of complexity, with malt sweetness running into stiff competition from spicy, herbal, salty and subtly smoky elements.
4)? Glen Garioch 15YO - unusual flavour profile for a Highlander, with a grain-driven malt core enhanced by some smoke and oak. Many don't like it, but I'm not among them.
5)? Strathisla 12YO - perfect balance between malt and oak.
6)? Take your time, set aside some cash and then look for a Rosebank in the 8 to 15-year old range.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:04 pm

kiwicrusaders wrote:I bought a bottle of Tailser

Sounds brilliant! What is it and where can I get some? :wink:

kiwicrusaders wrote:1) Ardbeg and Talisker
2)?
3)?
4)?
5)?
6)?
20ish) Laphoreig Quater Cask (thought this was ok)
100ish) Belvenie Double Wood (Didn't like thought it way to sweet and not whisky enough)

I love this list. Its a real optimists list, anticipating all the great drams that have yet to be tried. I think, as Matt says, you should try Lagavulin 16yo and Bowmore. Also Laphroaig cask strength 10yo if you can find it, any Caol Ila and any varieties of Springbank and Longrow that you come across.

Ultimately as your list fills up you may start to get the hang of other styles and start to reorder it. In the meantime keep tasting and enjoy the trip.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:34 am

TheTross wrote:2) Lagavulin 16 (just do it!)
3) Aberlour a'bunadh (lots of sherry)
4) Springbank 15 (sherried)
5) Highland Park 18 (lots of everything)
6) Pretty much any Rosebank (lighter compared to the above four, but never fails in my book) .

Like your style!! I too would put one of the peatier styles of Longrow on there as well.
dramtastic

Postby kyorke1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:06 am

Great post Kiwi.

1) Talisker 18
2) Ardbeg / Talisker 10
3) HP 18
4) Lagavulin 16
5) Ardbeg Renaissance
6) Bowmore 12

IMO.
Last edited by kyorke1 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:14 am

Ah yes, forgot about the Renaissance. Awesome whisky, and the best I've had from Ardbeg actually.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:40 am

Collector57 wrote::lol: Nice post title kiwicrusaders! You almost got me there!
I'll have a think about the rest of your list!

Like Nick the title of your post had me for a minute. I was going to say your mad. The reality is many times I've done a hth with Talisker and another and the power and taste of the Talisker just washes over the other. It has to be a cornerstone in anyone's collection. Still nice to experiment though.
les taylor

Postby Giovinetti » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:16 am

If you like "a broad spectrum of tastes on your tongue" then I would second at least two of the recommendations of The Tross: Lagavulin 16 and Yamazaki 18, especially the Yamazaki. The Lagavulin 16 because I find it more complex and subtle than many of the other common OB's from Isay and the Yamazaki 18 because there are SO MANY different tastes which compliment each other beautifully.
Giovinetti

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:09 pm

les taylor wrote:
Collector57 wrote::lol: Nice post title kiwicrusaders! You almost got me there!
I'll have a think about the rest of your list!

Like Nick the title of your post had me for a minute. I was going to say your mad.

Yeah I was loading the guns as I was heading over too. Very funny. :D
Willie JJ

Postby LagaDrinker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:48 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Yeah I was loading the guns as I was heading over too. Very funny. :D

:lol:
Somebody take Willie's piece and give him a dram quick
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Collector57 wrote:
LagaDrinker wrote:take Willie's piece and give him a dram

Um, I think that's Audrey's job :oops:

HAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr Fjeld

Postby talisker10 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Wow..good one! I saw that post title and nearly fainted. It's the innumerable shades and varieties of flavors that make me love Talisker as well. I also love the spicy kick (at least in the 10..haven't had the 18 yet) at the end.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby talisker10 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:28 pm

I really think you should try the Bowmore 12 for a little different Islay experience. Just make sure it is the current release. Here is a pic of the current bottling:

http://www.parkerswhisky.co.uk/images/b ... 00x266.jpg
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Single Malt Kommunist » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Sorry to hear that the Laphroaig QC didnt do it for you.

Consider Finlaggan Cask Strength or Connemara Peated. Not multilayered like the Ardbeg, but will give you the peat fix you need at a decent price (perhaps a strategy to save up for the Rosebank).

Concur also with the Tross on Laga 16.
Single Malt Kommunist
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder