Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Century Reserve Canadian Whisky

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Century Reserve Canadian Whisky

Postby Megawatt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:41 pm

"More than just a fancy bottle." That should be the slogan for this whisky. The bottle is indeed striking, befitting a fine cognac more than a mid-priced Canadian rye. Fortunately, the liquid inside doesn't disappoint.

This is a blended whisky from Highwood Distillers in Alberta. The age statement on the bottle is "15 Years Plus", as some of the whisky is aged as long as 25 years according to the website.

For this tasting I poured some into a Glencairn Canadian whisky glass, with a few drops of water. The medium golden hue attests to the lack of added colour. Water opens up the nose nicely. A bit boozy, if you will, but also some pleasant vanilla, caramel, and dried leaves. Quite typical of a Canadian rye (this one is wheat-based rather than corn-based).

Good medium body on the palate. A light sweetness of hard caramel candy, becoming drier and slightly vegetal. Exceedingly smooth and pleasant. A bit of spice mid-palate and slightly bitter on the finish, which is rather short. I think I prefered the flavour undiluted, as water seems to enhance the bitter aspects somewhat.

This is a different style of Canadian whisky, with clean, uncluttered aromas and flavours. Many might find it too mild or lacking character. Fans of Canadian whisky should appreciate it for its smoothness and unique, leafy-sweet flavour.

If anyone else has opinions of this whisky, I'd love to hear them!
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Re: Century Reserve Canadian Whisky

Postby tylergallant7 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:07 pm

I think you have enlightened me to go and try this sounds tasty. :D
tylergallant7

Re: Century Reserve Canadian Whisky

Postby Liechtenstein » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:49 am

A very good review and description, Megawatt. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I can't get Century Reserve in Quebec...
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder