Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Johnnie Walker Black Replacement Suggestion?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Johnnie Walker Black Replacement Suggestion?

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:15 am

Diaego, the company that owns JWB is no longer selling it in my province (New Brunswick, Canada) once it is gone. There are a few bottles left and i have bought a few of them. Trouble is, once it is gone, well, it is gone. Looking for suggestions as to what would be a replacement that comes close in terms of a similar flavor profile. All suggestions would be much appreciated.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Re: Johnnie Walker Black Replacement Suggestion?

Postby lancj1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:32 am

Thats surprising, I thought JWB was a standard that was just, well, everywhere !

I personally always see JWB and Chivas 12 as interchangeable blends - they dont neccesarily taste the same, but they are a step above your average blend of Bells, Teachers, J&B etc...thats in my opinion, mind :lol:
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:02 pm

For me, the overall quality of the Chivas 12YO hasn't 'threatened' that of the 12YO Johnnie Walker Black Label in quite some time. Now, the 18YO Chivas is another matter entirely. However, even this much more expensive alternative displays a delicate disposition quite different from that of the JWBL.

A trip to another province in order, perhaps?
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Maybe I should clarify. I was just wondering what others considered similar in flavor profile to JWB. I was thinking Glenfarclas or something like that. I know lots of cheap blends, but not scotches of a similar flavor.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:19 pm

try the laga ... you know you will love it ... laga laga lagavulin
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby rtp3 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:29 pm

Maybe try one of the Black Bottle blends ... if you can find them in your area.

Cheers!
rtp3

Postby Iain » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Chivas regal 12 and JWB might be in the same price bracket in many (most?) places, but I think most folks would agree that, taste-wise, they're miles apart.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 am

I don't know, I've always found Chivas 12 and Johnnie Black quite similar, comparing from memory (never done a side-by-side with them). Dewar's 12 year old Special Reserve is fairly close as well. Also maybe try Te Bheag, as it contains at least some of the same component malts (namely, Talisker).

In Ontario they increased the price of Red, Black, and Gold, and dropped the Green label entirely. Too bad because I never got to try Green.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby evanstonwhisky » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:23 am

Iain wrote:Chivas regal 12 and JWB might be in the same price bracket in many (most?) places, but I think most folks would agree that, taste-wise, they're miles apart.

wich is better?
evanstonwhisky

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:40 am

evanstonwhisky wrote:
Iain wrote:Chivas regal 12 and JWB might be in the same price bracket in many (most?) places, but I think most folks would agree that, taste-wise, they're miles apart.

wich is better?

Without a doubt, JWB is better.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 pm

Have you tried Dewar's 12? It is somewhat similar to JWBL.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:22 pm

If it's available JW Green is an excellent drink. I actually prefer it to the Black.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:34 pm

les taylor wrote:If it's available JW Green is an excellent drink. I actually prefer it to the Black.

I agree the Green is excellent (I prefer it to the Gold) but unfortunately all of the Johnnie Walker product line is being discontinued in this province (New Brunswick).
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:18 pm

NSF,

Talisker is purported to be a major component in the blend, and I think that Highland Park's heather is there too. You could try vatting your own blend? (Aaaaack! I know this is heresy). You could take a cheap innocuous blend then add a bit of those two to make your own?

No this is not an April 2nd fools joke, I'm being quite serious!

As an aside, I've found that Cutty Sark is a kinder gentler version of JWB, though there is less sherry in the mix...that's why I suggest vatting your own.
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby RogerB » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:51 pm

les taylor wrote:If it's available JW Green is an excellent drink. I actually prefer it to the Black.

JW Green is an excellent drink, and quite possibly my favorite all around drink of the JW line.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Bruichladdict wrote:NSF,

Talisker is purported to be a major component in the blend, and I think that Highland Park's heather is there too. You could try vatting your own blend? (Aaaaack! I know this is heresy). You could take a cheap innocuous blend then add a bit of those two to make your own?

No this is not an April 2nd fools joke, I'm being quite serious!

As an aside, I've found that Cutty Sark is a kinder gentler version of JWB, though there is less sherry in the mix...that's why I suggest vatting your own.

Intruiging suggestion. We dont get Cutty Sark in NB either. Our govt controlled liquor store stopped getting it a while ago.

Our govt in its infinite paternalistic wisdom rolled over and played dead when Diageo said it was no longer supplying JW products and a number of other scotch products by other producers, including I believe Talisker. Apparently when Diageo told the Ontario Liquor Commission of the same plan for that province, Diageo was told in no uncertain terms that if they withdrew the Johnnie Walker line and other scotches that LCBO would cease purchasing anything supplied by Diageo (like all the junk mixed coolers they also sell). Diageo backed down. I should point out that LCBO does have a lot more buying power than NB liquor, nevertheless, NB Liquor purchases of Diageo scotches runs into the millions too. ANyway, I have learned to expect no less of a govt run retailer of alcohol.

Recently, NB Liquor claimed it was "losing" several million dollars a year in beer sales to cross border shopping in Quebec and the states where beer is substantially cheaper. Their solution? Introduce their own beer that is $1 cheaper than regular price for New Brunswickers. Insane. Quebec beer is $10 cheaper a case, and you can choose anything you want. In NB if you buy the state marketed beer (made under contract with Moosehead breweries) you save a $1 which is still $9 more than in Quebec.

NB Liquor was asked what other state owned vendor of alcohol has marketed their own suds and their response was the Soviet Union during the last olymics and Laos (currently).

Enough said, I need a drink! . . . but I guess soon it will not be Johnnie Walker Black. :x
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby kenmont » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:15 pm

If you can find it, go for a VAT 69 black label or Teacher's.
kenmont

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:50 pm

Yes, Vat 69 is v. nice - one I tried recently. But it was an old bottle - been tucked away in a drinks cabinet for yonks.

Swear I tasted Bowmore in it...

Otherwise, do they sell Blackbush in your part of the world? Irish, yes, but the Black Label(!!there's a 'white' one also...) is v. nice as I recall.

And for a really special blend try Compass Box 'Asyla'.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:04 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Yes, Vat 69 is v. nice - one I tried recently. But it was an old bottle - been tucked away in a drinks cabinet for yonks.

Swear I tasted Bowmore in it...

Otherwise, do they sell Blackbush in your part of the world? Irish, yes, but the Black Label(!!there's a 'white' one also...) is v. nice as I recall.

And for a really special blend try Compass Box 'Asyla'.

No Vat 69 or Blackbush (Bushmills), just White Label. The do have the Compass Box. Will give it a try. thanks for the suggestion.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:06 pm

Hey, NSF,

You might also try the Bushmills 10 yo malt. I was pleaseantly surprised. Not a very heavy or honeyed malt, it was very fruity...in fact I could've sworn I tasted my monther in law's canned peaches. Though, if JWB is your game, this is probably a little light for your liking.
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby oldrip57 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:14 am

If the John Barr blue-label is available to you, you might try that. I'd rank it between the Johnny Walker black and gold, at a price less than the black.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder