Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Abhainn Dearg

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Abhainn Dearg

Postby Le Jock Sportif » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:25 pm

Just wondering what the youngest (non-illicit) single malt new-make you guys have tasted was? I have about 1/3 of a litre of Abhainn Dearg in an olive oil bottle which is just six weeks old :shock:. Aye, it tastes like lawnmower fuel but it's an historical footnote and I'm proud to own it. A good friend of mine from Stornoway is in turn a good friend of Mark Tayburn so I ended up with it when said friend declared it "shite" :lol: (He doesn't know a good dram from his elbow though - he drinks Midori!)

Anyway, I'm down on the list for one of the first bottlings and I can't wait!
Le Jock Sportif

Re: Abhainn Dearg

Postby photojonny » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:29 pm

Kilchoman sell new spirit that is just 4 weeks old. Peaty and fruity - tastes like it's going to be good when it's been in the barrel a while!
photojonny
Bronze Member

Re: Abhainn Dearg

Postby Judy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:33 pm

As a team player at Abhainn Dearg I know for fact that no spirit left the distillery, let alone in an Olive Oil bottle, how ludicrous is that? So maybe your 'good friend' was feeding you lawnmower fuel?

There are a couple of 'real' and good articles on Abhainn Dearg one on this site now, see Painting the River Red by Gavin Smith, Section : New distillery Page number : 46.

Tom Morton has also released an article - http://www.smws.co.uk/your-society-adventure/article-archive/article.html?article=220

For the full story on Abhainn Dearg and to register an interest in the real spirit which will be available later this year please check out the website - http://www.abhainndearg.co.uk site will be live from mid May. Contact info there now.
Judy

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder