Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which new Single Malt?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Which new Single Malt?

Postby tuddy24 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:37 am

:smoke:

Hi Everyone!

I've currently been enjoying The Glennfiddich 15 Solera Reserve as well as the Highland Park 12. They are both very different from each other as I'm sure some of you know. The Glenn is rounder, more mellow, and citrusy while the HP is smoky and honey sweet. I'm currently looking to try something new that maybe lies somewhere between these two fine whiskys. I don't want to go over $50 unless someone absolutely convinces me that I [i]need[i] to. The first bottle of Scotch that I fell in love with was the well balanced Famous Grouse Blend. I'd love to find a malt that has that toffee-ish component but the purity of the above brands. I feel like the smoke of the Highland Park might be at the upper limits of my palate and find the Glenn's smoke to be well integrated even though I like the HP as a whisky overall....weird I know. Some bottles that have piqued my interest are:

Balvenie Doublewood 12
Aberfeldy 12
Aberlour 12
Glenmorangie 10
Glenrothes Reserve
Singleton Of Glendullan 12

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Pete
tuddy24

Re: Which new Single Malt?

Postby jhershauer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:17 am

I don't know where you're at, but we can get The Glenlivet 18 year for right around $50 here in AZ. I'd highly recommend this one regardless of preferences, but as a bonus, it seems to meet your requirements of having a "toffee-ish" component, and I'd say it's somewhere "between" the HP and Glenfiddich.

Jeff
jhershauer
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:24 am

jhershauer wrote:I don't know where you're at, but we can get The Glenlivet 18 year for right around $50 here in AZ. I'd highly recommend this one regardless of preferences, but as a bonus, it seems to meet your requirements of having a "toffee-ish" component, and I'd say it's somewhere "between" the HP and Glenfiddich.

Jeff

The Livet 18 is a good choice. Also the Glenfiddich 18 and Dalmore 12.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby evanstonwhisky » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:42 am

I likes the glenlivet 18, for this medium noob, it was the best whisky I tasted along with Caol Ila 12. Glenlivet 18 tastes like baked cinammon apples strawberry pie.

But doublewood is very good too, more vanilla and round wine notes.
evanstonwhisky

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:04 am

I think that the Aberlour 16 is a significant improvement over the 12. Typically I see it for $50-60. Also, consider the a'bunadh. It's a sherry monster at cask strength and typically is around $60.

The Glendullan is very fruity; not so much on toffee.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby tuddy24 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:54 am

All,

Thanks for the fast responses. I live in Oak Lawn, IL and am a bit upset to hear that you can get a Glenlivet 18 for $50 in AZ! The cheapest I can find is at Binny's for $70. As a reference, I paid $35 for the Glenfiddich 15 and $40 for the HP12. $70 is kind of a big leap for me right now but if everyone stands behind the Glenlivet 18 I might not have a choice. Thanks again.

-Pete
tuddy24

Postby evanstonwhisky » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:50 am

Hey, I'm in the same situation, got hooked on whisky by Binnys, the Skokie one. I go to the Skokie one, they are nice. If you ask them (any location probably), they will give you a sample of something to try.

I got the Glenlivet 18 because I tried it at a restaurant first - so I could not resist, kept thinking about it for a week. Try that - then you feel no regret buying.

But I got Caol Ila, because Binnys gave me a sample of it - I left the store, great taste did not leave me for days, so I got it.

For an 18 yr, you won't get any better for the cheap then Glenlivet 18 - that and Caol Ila are favs. I'm pretty sure Binnys is not overcharging much for the 70$. I'm always so excited to go there, but I try to withhold.
evanstonwhisky

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:33 pm

tuddy24 wrote:I'm currently looking to try something new that maybe lies somewhere between these two fine whiskys.

Is the Scapa 14YO available in your area?

Very 'soft' single malt with subtle touches of salt and peat lurking behind the sweetness.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:10 pm

If you like The Famous Grouse, consider also their 12-year-old blended malt. It's outstanding, with fruit and toffee and the faintest hint of smoke.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby tuddy24 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:35 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for all of your input everybody. I'm going to head over to the Binny's in Skokie, IL tomorrow as I found out that my local Binny's in Orland Park is prohibited from letting its patrons sample hard liquor....except for wine. Silly isn't it? The gentlemen that was assisting me recommended the Aberlour 12 year but wasn't so high on the Balvenie Doublewood. In fact he was trying to redirect me towards Islay! Jim Murray's 2009 guide was sitting in the aisle and even though many have said he is crazy I totally agreed with every review he had writeen that I had tasting experience with. He said the doublewood was boring. Go figure. I had mentioned that the smokiness of the HP12 was my limit and the salesman said laughingly "not everything from Islay is a peat monster!". Either way I didn't pick anything up because I'd rather taste before I buy if that option is available to me.

-Pete
tuddy24

Postby toca » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:04 am

Anyone try Bruichladdich 15 year old?
toca

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:51 pm

toca wrote:Anyone try Bruichladdich 15 year old?

Very nice, clean melding of malt-derived fruity sweetness and discreet saltiness with next to no smoke.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby borgom » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:41 pm

The Third Dram wrote:
toca wrote:Anyone try Bruichladdich 15 year old?

Very nice, clean melding of malt-derived fruity sweetness and discreet saltiness with next to no smoke.

TTD describes it well. I think it's a great everyday whisky, maybe even a little underrated.
You might like to hunt down a Wee Laddie tasting pack so you can try the 10, 15 & 17 side by side.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby evanstonwhisky » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:04 am

I really want that whisky (bruichladdich 12 or 15) - it sounds like a nice spring/summer whisky. I think with the changing of the seasons, heavy peat is not as in fashion. Lighter styles probably are more refreshing, even maybe with ice for a cooler temperature.
(this does not apply to those who live on the rong side of the earth)
evanstonwhisky

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:57 pm

borgom wrote:You might like to hunt down a Wee Laddie tasting pack so you can try the 10, 15 & 17 side by side.

A worthy exercise indeed! :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:28 am

Out of your list I'd pick the Glenmo 10 and the Balvenie Doublewood. Personally I would buy the Balvenie 15 SB if funds permit or maybe Glenlivet Nadurra. As substitute for the Glenmo I'd grab a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh.

Cheers.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby borgom » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Pete in reading your original post over I think you're initial attraction to Balvenie DW is probably right. I can't think of another whisky that sits more "middle" of HP12 and 'fiddich 15.
Some might think it's boring but so what? Try it and make up your own mind.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby artmanjohn » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:09 am

My favorite is Aberlour a'bunadh, batch #18. This one really grows on you. I've tried Batch #21, too much ash to the taste. I've even tried batch #14, great, very similar to batch #18. Batch #18 is hotter, got so I prefer the heat! Batch #23 is out now here in Fort Worth, but if I can find some more #18, it's the one I'd buy. Anyone try #23? :thumbsup:
artmanjohn

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder