Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

My top whiskies - what's next?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

My top whiskies - what's next?

Postby whiskywoman » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:09 am

Alrighty.... I have a few bottles under my belt now.

In order listed this is what I like...

Dalwhinnie
Balvenie DW
Craggenmore
HP 12
WT101
Buffalo Trace
McClellands Highlands

I'm thinking of trying Glenfiddich 15year next, that'll be my birthday bottle in June. Any other recommendations?
whiskywoman

Re: My top whiskies - what's next?

Postby evanstonwhisky » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:37 am

I think you are set. I wish I had the Cragganmore - had it at a bar, it's good. In terms of summer whisky - you are good. Cragganmore covers the orangy sweet and a little smoke, Doublewood covers the vanillla plus sherry. I'm loving my Balvenie Single Barrel 15 yr- its a good company.

Personally, I would not add anything to that. If you want a slightly peaty one - I really enjoy Caol Ila 12 yr (45$). It is like a roasted meal - I could conceivably see it matching the taste of a nice summer barbecue. The smoke in highland park is more black, this smoke is more like warm tasting.
It is a must-buy at some point, I know I couldn't resist.

I mean bourbon is good too- If it gets hot, you want to put it on rocks anyways, like is custom with bourbon often.
evanstonwhisky

Postby borgom » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:25 am

In terms of flavour intensity/extremity only, it looks like you've gone for some middle of the road whiskies.
Maybe you could look at the more extreme ends of the scale like Aberlour a'bunadh, a peaty Islay whisky like Ardbeg/Laph/Laga, a straight rye or wheat whisky or even an Irish like Redbreast.
Otherwise if you're really looking to stick with whiskies of a similar vein then I think the 'fiddich is a great choice.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:23 am

I think borgoms on the right track, but I'd throw in Glenlivet Nadurra as well. Fantastic all round package and I find it very smooth at cask strength. It's a natural ramp up from Balvenie Double Wood with banana notes thrown in for good measure.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:24 pm

If you want to continue along a similar path taste-wise, I'd suggest investigating the Aberlour 16YO Double Cask matured (a very subtle and sophisticated flavour profile) and the new Longmorn 16YO (admittedly more expensive than much of the competition, but a truly sterling Highlander).

On the other hand, if you wish to go for something heftier, then borgom's and dramtastic's recommendations of the a'bunadh and Nàdurra are both excellent ones.

For easing into Islay, evanstonwhisky's suggestion of Caol Ila 12YO is very sage... There's just so much to like about this whisky.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:30 pm

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that you try Laphroaig 10. IMO it is a lot fruitier than it is mediciny. Sure it has peat and smoke but IMO it is not extreme. For you though I would recommend adding water. Maybe half as much water as you have whisky. If you like it then reduce the water. I think it's worth a shot especially since it isn't exorbitant (usually $40-$45)
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby shulaw05 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:10 pm

not sure if i suggested previously in a different post to you, but i would try old putleney 12 yr
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby whiskywoman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:16 pm

Shulaw- I did try the Old putney, I didn't really care for it. It was salty and oily to me.

I just tried Elijah Craig. Not liking that at all either.
whiskywoman

Postby The Dazzler » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Hey Whiskywoman,

looking down your list you could opt for some alternative expressions to those already there, not sure if the Balvenie 12yo Signature is available near you but is worth trying, and, the Highland Park 18yo should be a must-have on your wish-list if you enjoy the 12yo. Others you might find interesting would be;

Glendronach 12yo
Glen Elgin 12yo
Longmorn 15yo/16yo
Benriach 16yo

Glendronach for a replacement for Balvenie DW, Glen Elgin, Longmorn and Benriach for something more along the lines of the Dalwhinnie. I struggle with Cragganmore to find similar malts, tho, if its around maybe the Balblair 89.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:08 am

SOme that come to mind and not neccessarily scotch malts

Johnny Walker Gold

Tyrconnell Maderia or even just the regular Tyrconnell Irish single malt

Older Balblairs but not sure on availablity in your neck of the woods or price.

I had a the 1979 26yo and a wonderfully smooth viscous and sweet malt.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Scoty Utah » Wed May 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Wow, it looks like we have similar tastes in scotch. Agree with the poster who mentioned CI 12. It's going to taste much different than what you have in your collection but give it a chance. The 'fiddich will definitely be to your liking. Along that line you may also want to check out the Glenlivet 15.

I'll suggest two others to get you out of the Highlands area that you may really enjoy. 1st - Glenkinchie 12. I'm thinking this is a nice dram for summer time sessions. 2nd - Jura 16. Something about this one is really interesting and you may enjoy the spiciness with a little kick at the end. Have fun and enjoy!
Scoty Utah

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu May 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Tomorrow's your birthday, Whiskywoman!

Happy Birthday! I'll drink to your health & wealth!

:iwbrnt:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby whiskynig » Sat May 30, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi Whiskywoman.
In my humble opinion, Glenfiddich 15 is pound for pound the absolute best in the range.
My cupboard cannot bear to be without one, and whilst I enjoy the 21 Havana reserve, and the 30 when I can nick somebody else`s, remember this is pound for pound, and you do not need a remortgage for the 15.
Happy exploring. :angel:
whiskynig
Bronze Member

Postby tuddy24 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:36 am

Hi Whiskywoman,

My first SM was Glenlivet 12. After much research, yes I do a lot of research before I plop down $$ for alcohol, my next whisky was Glennfidich 15 Solera Reserve. This whisky is very complex from beginning to end. The only thing that bugged me was the texture of it. It was thinner to me compared to the Glenlivet and was subsequently lighter than the HP12 that I purchased later on. The HP12 is definitely one of my favorites. Now as far as complexity and flavor is concerned the Glennfidich 15 had more subtle flavors hiding at every corner and had a wonderful tobacco finish that went on forever. That's what is so great about Glennfiddich 15, not purity of one flavor but tons of subtle flavors and a gentle and lengthy finish. Only qualm was about the texture. A tad thin for my tastes. Maybe it's just me! Happy Birthday, let us know what you think :)

-Pete
tuddy24

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder