Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Black Bottle = value

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Black Bottle = value

Postby tuddy24 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:31 am

Hi All,

So I'm in the Binny's near Glen Ellyn, IL on my birthday a week ago and I see the Glencairn glass in a package with Forrester's bourbon. Long story short the guy working there tells me that they don't sell that glass but opens it up and hands it to me free of charge! Not having gone in there with a purchase in mind, I had to buy something so I picked up the Black Bottle no age statement scotch for $18. The closest I've been to Islay is via JWB and since the price was right I said the hell with and bought it. Wow. After repeated tastings of JWB I felt that it was a little fakey sweet and got kind of tired of it and appreciated my SM's much more because they were less sweet, and had more acidity and body. The Famous Grouse had that same over sweetness as well, I've come to learn that I'm not a fan of that anymore. Well the Black Bottle was close to a SM, as a matter of fact, you might catch an inexperienced scotch drinker off guard with it. Peaty and gently oaky nose, incredibly well integrated mid-palate, and a lingering smoky finish with a hint of salt. Not as creamy as a Glenmorangie or Highland Park but less than half the price. It's extremely balanced, flavorful, ever so slightly sweet, and has a lingering finish. If you're looking for a JWB replacement and/or a good blend you cannot beat this. Oh yeah, the Glencairn glass completely changed the way every scotch I nosed compared to the baby sized brandy balloon I was using previously. If you do not own one of these you must get one!

-Pete
tuddy24

Re: Black Bottle = value

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:28 am

Thanks for the post. I am looking for a JWB replacement but the problem is that Black Bottle is not sold where I live. Thanks for your note though. Many on here praise Black Bottle as a very good value for money product.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:49 am

Excellent stuff. Next time your at Binny's pick up a bottle of Islay Mist. It reminds me of Laphroaig light
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Charlie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:19 pm

I love Black Bottle. It has to be the best value for money whisky out there. It's usually around £14 in Tescos, but they often have it on offer at around £11.
Charlie

Postby Stewart » Sun May 24, 2009 1:35 am

I had a bottle of Black Bottle last year, and it went pretty quickly! I agree--great stuff.

My memory of it is that it's similar to a cross between Highland Park 12 and Talisker 10--the bracing peat/smoke/fire of the Talisker with the "honey" sweetness and smoothness of the HP. However, BB doesn't have quite as much maltiness at its center that HP does--and the BB seemed to be ever so slightly less sweet than the HP.

Very smooth, and great value. And what a great idea--a blend of the Islay malts!
Stewart

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon May 25, 2009 1:18 am

I've said this before, but as a blend of Islay whiskies, BB responds really well to a splash of any characterful Islay malt, and actually seems to take on its character, making it an excellent base, and a very economical way of enjoying the features of more expensive malts!

I;ve tried adding Ardbeg 10 and Oogie: Laphroaig QC, Lagavulin 16...and even a splash of 23 YO Bowmore...so fragrant, some would say "perfumed" that a little drop was enough to infuse a large dram of BB with its character. Brill...

Every home should have one.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder