Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bowmore Legend (newer release)

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Bowmore Legend

Bowmore Legend (newer release)

Postby talisker10 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:34 pm

I am working out of state for a while and my Talisker 18 and HP were running low and I happened to see Bowmore Legend at a Walgreen's for about $32. I knew it was a slightly more mature version of the McClelland's Islay which I like okay. I must say the 8yr or so makes a big difference vs. the 5yo. It's not as good as the 12 yr Bowmore, but for the price (and considering it's likely the only Islay I can buy within 120 miles it is pretty good.

Here are my notes (if this is irritating to folks I apologize, but working away from family and home posting these things keeps me a bit connected)

Bowmore Legend (new label and stamped 09 on the bottom which I assumes means an 09 bottling):

Color and body: golden, a little thin
Nose: Maritime, a little perfumy, briny, smoky, with a little alcohol prickle
Mouth: Sweet peat, smoky surprisingly I can't taste the perfumy smells
Finish: moderately long, lingering smoke..not much else

On a 0-100 scale, about a 78 I'd say. I'd rate it higher if it wasn't kind of thin and if it were a bit more fruity..but then that's why they make the 12. I'd like to try this at Cask Strength.
talisker10
Silver Member

Re: Bowmore Legend (newer release)

Postby The Third Dram » Fri May 01, 2009 11:32 pm

Sounds as though it may have actually improved slightly over the older Legend edition, which, despite its invigorating freshness, hadn't yet acquired those well-defined sweet-sour flavours and greater length that the more mature offerings bring to the table.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Holysinner » Sat May 02, 2009 3:42 am

I purchased a bottle of this a couple of months ago, and really enjoyed it when I opened it. Unfortunately, I found it much less interesting as I made my way through it. I didn't take tasting notes, but I recall both the smokiness and sweetness progressively diminished, such that when I finished it recently I wasn't sad to see it go. Here's hoping you don't have the same experience and can appreciate it all the way through.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby talisker10 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:45 am

Hmm..sounds like an open bottle isn't good for it. I will watch for that. So far (about halfway through the bottle) I have not noticed a change. I remember I did notice something similar to that with Glenfiddich 12. It started out not too bad, but as I went through it, it became even flatter and a bit bitter.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby talisker10 » Sun May 03, 2009 1:25 am

Well, holysinner..I had some last night after not having any for a few days and I see what you mean. It is more watery and less smoky.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Holysinner » Sun May 03, 2009 3:19 am

I planted the notion in your mind...

Hope it's not that. I did wonder whether my experience with it was influenced by opinions I read of Legend around here, and by comparison with some other great drams I subsequently enjoyed. It surprised me how much less enjoyable I found it by the end of the bottle, as I didn't think an open bottle would change so much in 1 1/2 months or so. Haven't found the same with any other bottle, so either this is one spirit that really suffers quickly after being opened or the power of suggestion is very strong. I imagine if I got another bottle, I'd enjoy it again (at first).
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed May 06, 2009 6:21 pm

When did Walgreen's start selling scotch?
Was that Florida or Louisiana?
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:20 pm

Holysinner, I considered the possibility that you planted the idea, but I really don't think so. I think I just paid better attention. It definitely isn't as good as when first opened.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby talisker10 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:25 pm

Jazz Lover..I am working in New Mexico for about 8 weeks. The Walgreen's in New Mexico have a liquor store attached. This one has Glenlivet 12, 18, Bowmore Legend, Glenfiddich 12, and a couple of real cheapos along with about 8 different blends. Still better than Antarctica where I had to bring it all with me. This way when my good stuff ran out I could go and get some decent stuff at least.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed May 06, 2009 8:47 pm

Go with the Glenlivet 18 yr. :thumbsup:
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby dcb » Sat May 09, 2009 6:44 pm

I've got a bottle of the Legend, too, and initially thought it was alright, and it's still not bad, but after half the bottle, I don't particularly like it. It's far better than the Islay McClelland (dishwater), though.
dcb

Postby lancj1 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:09 pm

I am not to keen on this, purchased yesterday at the current low Tesco price.

The nose is welcoming, a nice smokey affair, but to me its a very sharp and bitter experience on the palate and not that much of a finish. Its as if the three bits are seperate components, if you like, and not really joined together. Is it a young malt ?

Its my first Bowmore and I am not a fan at this stage
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Fri May 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Bowmore can be a tough nut for people to crack as it is quite different from the other Islays-not a lot of the oiliness of Laphroaig, CI, Ardbeg. It is much less peaty but has terrific smokey character, especially on the nose. I get a lot of lavendar and heather too.

Bowmore tends to go from this character towards a very citric (grapefruit) nature as it gets past 20 years of age. It can be exquisite when it gets into the 30s. I tend to like the bourbon/port more than the sherry caskings.

Also I would like to note that a little air time from freshly opened seems to mellow out the whisky a little.
Ganga
Matured cask

Related whiskies : Bowmore Legend

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder