Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Breton-

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glen Breton-

Postby Frank D.Scott » Tue Jan 09, 2001 9:47 pm

The new Canadian Single malt from Glenora Distilleries in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia has been recently been launched here
in Canada.The whisky has been named Glen Breton and has been bottled as an 8 year old.The sample I had recently was excellent,light floral notes with a hint of honey? maybe some grassy notes as well with a hint of greenishness.Wonderful spirit. Glengoyne came to my mind in with some similar characteristics. Maybe a review in the Whisky Magazine would be of interest to your readers.I would enjoy reading your tasters opinions.
Frank D.Scott

Highland Park 77

Postby jeanmarcdanquigny » Mon Apr 23, 2001 7:59 pm

Jim Murray writes that this HP has been distilled during one of the best periods of HP's recent history.
This is a very important assertion because :
distillers try to make people believe that their style of product never change, and of course it is not true, due to the change of barley type, malting process, yeasts used....
In the case of Highland Park I discovered this whisky in 1984 (12YO) and as far as I remember this malt was much more peaty and smoky than recent versions. When I tasted the on-line tasting HP I rediscovered the same impression (as far as my memory is reliable).
What about tastings of the same version of whiskies released in different years(Laphroaig 10Yo, Macallan 10Yo 100°proof,..)
jeanmarcdanquigny

Postby Frederick C. Lindgren » Wed May 02, 2001 3:58 am

To all,
I first tasted Black & White Blended Scotch Whisky in 1968. It was 86 proof, and had a very good if not excellent nose and taste. Now it is 80 proof, much less expensive and not nearly what it was. This holds true for all the big name blends we get here in the United States: Johnnie Walker Black or Red, J & B, Dewar's, and Chevis Regal. Sometime during the late 1980's there was a big flap in the American press about how Scotch whiskies could cause cancer. It was after this, that the nose, taste and proof of these whiskies all changed. Now one must purchase the so-called single malt scotch whiskies to get an excellent product.
Frederick C. Lindgren

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder