Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Decline of Laphroaig Revisited

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

The Decline of Laphroaig Revisited

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:51 am

A number of people have debated if Laphroaig has lost its attack in the last few years and some whisky writers have gone as far as to speculate that Laphroaig suffers from chill filtering. In my mind Laphroaig is definitely different so I conducted a non scientific test. I purchased on ebay an older miniature of Laphroaig out of the UK which was full and not partially evaporated. This is the older "dump" style bottle rather than the current style of miniature and I think it is over 20 years old. I have been drinking Laphroaig for over 20 years and have empty miniatures from that period and they are not this shape but the common shape we see today. I compared the older mini (bottled at 10 years and at 43%) and a current bottle of the 10 year old Laphroaig at 40% and for a bit of fun I included the Cask Strength as well bottled at 57.3%.

The older 43% Laphroaig was completely different, full of sherry, sweet butter, smoke, peat and none of the legendary gauze. It was slightly syrupy on the mouth and very smokey and peaty but not a huge dramatic attack as I had remembered. What surprised me the most was the sherry which made it very, very excellent.

The current version of Laphroaig was lighter in color and the nose did not reveal a hint of sherry or for that matter bourbon (which is curious because Laphroaig is matured in Bourbon casks) but quite a bit of wood, dust and the famous hospital gauze. It was a "thinner" whisky with hints of citrus or more specifically orange. It was certainly dryer and slightly dusty and reminded me of Lagavulin (I always find Lagavulin to be "dusty" when tasted).

The Cask Strength was sweeter than the current 10 and slightly darker in color (as you would expect) however with the addition of water it's closer to the current version of Laphroaig, as you’d expect.

As I stated this is a very non scientific test and only involved one sample of an older Laphroaig. However the main discovery is that this older bottle and the current version are different but from the same family and I really love Laphroaig either way.

Any comments or observations would be appreciated.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby mxmcat » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:43 am

I have noticed this with some other brands, especially Macallan that has changed from the old 43% release and now at 40%. Last xmas, I was at my parents house and I found a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yo I bought about 10 years ago. It was full and unopened (i 'm wondering how it can be possible !). I tasted it. Then, I tasted actual 16 yo : well, not the same taste ...

I'm a cigar aficionado, especially cuban cigars, and their taste have changed through years too...
I think that all products, especially artisanals products, can't be the same through years, sometimes they go better, sometimes not...
But actually, whiskies that are changing (like Macallan), are changing for bad reasons : business...

Sorry for my bad english. :)
mxmcat

Postby Admiral » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:29 pm

Lawrence,

I have heard many people comment that the current OB 15yo Laphroaig reminds them of what the 10yo USED to taste like.

I love the 15yo - its sweetness and sherry influence is delicious.

I also find the current 10yo quite thin. It seems out of balance - all the iodine, gauze, and peat is there, but there doesn't seem to be any meat or "guts" behind the smoke.

Slainte,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

The Decline of the Laphroaig Revisited

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:35 pm

Admiral I think you've hit it on the head, I completely forgot about the Laphroaig 15 even though I have a bottle tucked in the back of the drinking collection. The older mini was much more like to 15 than today's current OB .
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder