Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Blends?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Blends?

Postby tuddy24 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:49 am

Hi Everybody,

I apologize if I'm coming off as erratic about what I'm looking for in a scotch but please bear with me, my palate is new to all of this! :o

Recently I've been enjoying Black Bottle (no age version) and find that I like it very much with regard to its balance of sweetness, acidity, and earthy tones. It's almost got a barbecue fish flavor to it that beatifully contrasts against a honeyed vanilla blanket. Someone mentioned Islay Mist as another great all around blend. I'd be willing to do a single malt also but I'm just shocked at the value of the Black Bottle for how good it really is. Does anyone have any experience with the Famous Grouse 12 yr blend? I've had the basic version but after having the Black Bottle the Grouse seems overly sweet wth no finish. I'm open to any recommendations whether they be blends or single malts. Thank you!

-Pete
tuddy24

Re: Blends?

Postby The Third Dram » Wed May 06, 2009 6:42 pm

Pete...

Given the flavours you appear to like in the Black Bottle, I'd recommend you dive right into the Islay single malt whisky pool. And I'd be hard pressed to suggest a better all-arounder in that category than the Caol Ila 12 Year Old. Sweetness, a smooth oily texture, a sage degree of peat reek, just the right touch of sea salt and a lovely balance - the Caol Ila has it all. I'm sure you'll like it!

After trying the CI, you can then easily venture further and try the Ardbegs, Lagavulins and Laphroaigs.

Doug
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu May 07, 2009 3:43 am

I agree with Third Dram's recommendations.

I have had the Famous Grouse 12 yr Gold Reserve and found it too sweet and sherried and I thought I liked sherry and a honeyed taste. FG puts out another 12 yr old that i have not had but again i suspect it is very sweet.

Another suggestion, following in the theme of recommendations advanced by ThirdDram, is to try Old Pulteney 12yo. I just discovered this and it has a flavour profile that is subtle sea salt with a faint sherry note on the finish. You might like that as an introduction to single malts.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Fri May 08, 2009 1:09 pm

I've had The Famous Grouse 12 year old pure malt (not blended Scotch), and it is good stuff to be sure but closer to a Speyside than an Islay malt. There is some smoke and certainly a nice finish but nothing like an Islay.

On the other hand, I don't think tasting smoke for 20 minutes after you drink necessarily constitutes a nice, long finish. Smoky Scotches have lots of aftertaste by nature and there is something to be said for a more subtle fruit-and-oak finish of a non-smoky whisky.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby tuddy24 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:49 am

The Third Dram wrote:Pete...

Given the flavours you appear to like in the Black Bottle, I'd recommend you dive right into the Islay single malt whisky pool. And I'd be hard pressed to suggest a better all-arounder in that category than the Caol Ila 12 Year Old. Sweetness, a smooth oily texture, a sage degree of peat reek, just the right touch of sea salt and a lovely balance - the Caol Ila has it all. I'm sure you'll like it!

After trying the CI, you can then easily venture further and try the Ardbegs, Lagavulins and Laphroaigs.

Doug

Thanks for your input Doug I appreciate it. I've heard a lot about Caol Ila 12 and Binny's has it for $50. I might give it a try. What do you think about the basic Bowmore expression? They have it for $25. There's no age statement on the bottle. Thanks again!

-Pete
tuddy24

Postby The Third Dram » Sat May 09, 2009 4:21 am

tuddy24 wrote:What do you think about the basic Bowmore expression? ... There's no age statement on the bottle.

That would be the Legend. Haven't tried the more recent incarnation of this one, though others who have seem to voice mixed feelings regarding its merits. For me (once again, it's been a while), the Legend never did display that well-knit sweet'n'sour characteristic I look for in a decent Bowmore expression.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Sun May 10, 2009 1:38 am

At around $40 a bottle I just don't think you can beat Laphroaig 10 for a band for your buck Islay.
talisker10
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder