Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Johnny Walker Green worth it?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Johnny Walker Green worth it?

Postby tuddy24 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:12 am

Hi all,

The local liquor store has this on sale, I've never had a vatted malt before. I really enjoyed JWB. Is it worth it compared to all the SM's that are in this price range? Thanks.

-Pete
tuddy24

Re: Johnny Walker Green worth it?

Postby shulaw05 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:18 am

what's the price on it? if it is priced anywhere around $60 US, then yes, it is worth it. JWG is one of the highest praised malts on these forums. Although I prefer Gold, Green is an excellent bottle, and for the price an even better value.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri May 15, 2009 2:27 am

Tuddy I agree with Shulaw. And if you find it for less that is even better. In my area it is around $45 US
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri May 15, 2009 2:30 am

tuddy24 wrote:Is it worth it compared to all the SM's that are in this price range?

I find there are times when a quality blended pure malt whisky is just the ticket. And the Green Label is an acknowledged classic in that category. If the price is right, don't hesitate!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby tuddy24 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:55 am

Wow! Talk about some fast responses. To answer all of your questions, the JWG is on sale for $45 and is usually $50. It looks pretty unanimous, I'll be buying the JWG. I really liked the JWB expression. Of all the malt/grain blends I've had, Black had a lot of character and a great long finish. I still think the Black Bottle from Islay might be a better value but JWB is defiantly some good stuff. I'm anxious to try the Green. How would everyone here compare the Green to say a Highland Park 12, Glenmorangie 10, and Glenlivet 12? Is the flavor profile pretty complex? For that matter how does it compare to its younger brother JWB? Thank you all so much!

-Pete
tuddy24

Postby dramtastic » Fri May 15, 2009 7:27 am

I prefer JWG to the singles malts you've mentioned. It's quite a complex whisky, lots going on. I don't like JWB, to me, the green is far superior.

Enjoy
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TCDrammer » Fri May 15, 2009 11:51 am

Just wanting to add my voice to the chorus...Green is good! :thumbsup:
TCDrammer

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri May 15, 2009 2:55 pm

Probably closest to HP 12 of the three you mention. A tad more "serious" than the 2 glens...
Njoy!

give us your feedback...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri May 15, 2009 3:29 pm

The Green is a great dram as is the HP 12yo but I'm not overly bother about the other 2 and would have the Green over them any day.

:thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri May 15, 2009 3:46 pm

I would say you can't compare Green to Black they are in two different realms. The green is vatted and black is a blend. I wouldn't even compare Green to single malts it is more complex and it is a blended malt so it can be made how they want it. And it is great :thumbsup:
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby SoMK » Fri May 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Being a HP fan, I'd take both the JWGreen and the HP 12 :D
JWGreen is very good indeed.
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri May 15, 2009 6:52 pm

Stop it. You make me want to go out and buy one!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby RogerB » Fri May 15, 2009 8:26 pm

tuddy24 wrote:Hi all,

The local liquor store has this on sale, I've never had a vatted malt before. I really enjoyed JWB. Is it worth it compared to all the SM's that are in this price range? Thanks.

-Pete

JWG is absolutely worth it, especially when on sale.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby lancj1 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:11 pm

I have only recently tried blended malts, and I am currently drinking my way through a bottle of Bells Special Reserve - I think this is a fantastic dram, and only costs £17 ish in Asda.

After this, I will try green label.
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat May 16, 2009 2:24 pm

To be honest i don`t think you can really compare the JWG to the benchmark malts you have mentioned. I like the HP, Glenmo and Glenlivet and they are bang for your buck malts, the green has a much greater flavour profile but without going into tasting notes etc it is delicious.
If they are cheap enough get two. :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby tuddy24 » Sun May 17, 2009 4:43 am

Oh man.....I hope no one takes this personal.

Johnny Walker Green label review by me:

nose: some subtle vanilla and peat, i like the Black Bottle nose better it's more complex and inviting. sad really considering the BB is $18 and JWG is $50.

palate: some subtle fruit, body was almost watery (no water added), big shot of peat at the end, very medicinal to me. very awkward and unbalanced.

finish: some peat and a subtle linger of sweetness. I am really amazed at all the descriptions given to this scotch on a few of the review sites I visited. This stuff was not complex at all. JWB has more character and flavors.

Overall: I wouldn't pay $15 for this stuff let alone the $45 it cost me. To verify I wasn't sick or something, I grabbed the Black Bottle and poured a dram and it was sweet, creamy, peaty, smoky, and salty. Like a complete meal! If there's anyone in Chicago who wants to trade a nearly full bottle of this stuff for HP12 or something similar let me know.

-Pete
tuddy24

Postby Gov » Sun May 17, 2009 7:20 pm

tuddy24 wrote:Oh man.....I hope no one takes this personal.

Johnny Walker Green label review by me:

nose: some subtle vanilla and peat, i like the Black Bottle nose better it's more complex and inviting. sad really considering the BB is $18 and JWG is $50.

palate: some subtle fruit, body was almost watery (no water added), big shot of peat at the end, very medicinal to me. very awkward and unbalanced.

finish: some peat and a subtle linger of sweetness. I am really amazed at all the descriptions given to this scotch on a few of the review sites I visited. This stuff was not complex at all. JWB has more character and flavors.

Overall: I wouldn't pay $15 for this stuff let alone the $45 it cost me. To verify I wasn't sick or something, I grabbed the Black Bottle and poured a dram and it was sweet, creamy, peaty, smoky, and salty. Like a complete meal! If there's anyone in Chicago who wants to trade a nearly full bottle of this stuff for HP12 or something similar let me know.

-Pete

WOW! Sounds like you drank something far different from JWG :shock:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon May 18, 2009 4:02 am

Tuddy24, I wonder if you had a flawed bottle? Your note is not consistent with the several bottles I have had. Did you just have it once from a bottle open for seven years or something. If I were to describe the palate in a word, it would be "honeyed." If you dont pick up honey on the palate, I think the bottle you had was flawed.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Mon May 18, 2009 4:25 pm

I would tend to second Gov's and NSF's viewpoints, as I've always found the Green Label to be an exceptionally well balanced whisky. And the finish should seem clean, with a nice minty edge enhancing the subtle peat and salt notes. If that's not the case, give the bottle a rest for a while and then come back to it for another go. Nothing to lose by doing so.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby RogerB » Mon May 18, 2009 8:15 pm

The Third Dram wrote:I would tend to second Gov's and NSF's viewpoints, as I've always found the Green Label to be an exceptionally well balanced whisky. And the finish should seem clean, with a nice minty edge enhancing the subtle peat and salt notes. If that's not the case, give the bottle a rest for a while and then come back to it for another go. Nothing to lose by doing so.

+1

I'm in concurrence with you, Gov, and NSF. My experience with JWG has always been positive, and normally I'm a strictly single malt kinda guy.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby tuddy24 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:48 am

The Third Dram wrote:I would tend to second Gov's and NSF's viewpoints, as I've always found the Green Label to be an exceptionally well balanced whisky. And the finish should seem clean, with a nice minty edge enhancing the subtle peat and salt notes. If that's not the case, give the bottle a rest for a while and then come back to it for another go. Nothing to lose by doing so.

All,

I went back to JWG and gave her a second chance. I might've been a bit harsh on it but my first general impression is still somewhat the same. I find the finish falls off too quickly and there's a smack of peat at the end before it falls off, very awkward. It ind of reminds me of a basic grain blend that is somewhat smooth and then that sharp grainy alcohol whacks you, makes no sense because there is only malt in here. I love the finish of the HP12 because it's like a whack upside the head that slowly mellows over time and it has texture and weight. And there's a lime-iness too it that matches so beautifully with the sherried/smoky introduction. The JWG is very basic to me, maybe I'm looking for too much excitement I don't know. I actually tried Laphroaig at Binny's and holy cow that was some serious stuff. The finish was so long but it was a tad too medicinal for me. But THAT is what I look for in scotch, some piss n' vinegar attitude with some honey roundness and faux-acidity to make it all well balanced. Thanks for all your feedback, the JWG won't go to waste it just won't ever excite me.

-Pete
tuddy24

Postby tuddy24 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:56 am

Is the third time really a charm? Here is yet another review by me, I've
tried to be more detailed this time.

color: sun maid golden raisins(gold with subtle amber)

tiny splash water added

nose: vanilla, toffee, malty, a little smoke
taste: vanilla, subtle baked apple, peat
texture: slightly thin
finish: smoky, peaty, sweet, malty, ever ever so slightly fishy

Like I said before I think I jumped too fast on this one, I think I had high expectations because of what I've had before this and what it cost. This is very restrained and subtle. One must approach this whisky with patience. It's kind of like a good pair of loudspeakers like my B&W 705's, there's nothing to bowl you over but a smooth balance that you appreciate over time. This is my third time coming back to JWG and I'm coming to appreciate it more every time. Sorry for the rushed initial review.

-Pete
tuddy24

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri May 22, 2009 12:39 pm

tuddy24 wrote:Is the third time really a charm? Here is yet another review by me, I've
tried to be more detailed this time.

color: sun maid golden raisins(gold with subtle amber)

tiny splash water added

nose: vanilla, toffee, malty, a little smoke
taste: vanilla, subtle baked apple, peat
texture: slightly thin
finish: smoky, peaty, sweet, malty, ever ever so slightly fishy

Like I said before I think I jumped too fast on this one, I think I had high expectations because of what I've had before this and what it cost. This is very restrained and subtle. One must approach this whisky with patience. It's kind of like a good pair of loudspeakers like my B&W 705's, there's nothing to bowl you over but a smooth balance that you appreciate over time. This is my third time coming back to JWG and I'm coming to appreciate it more every time. Sorry for the rushed initial review.

-Pete

Guess what? Four and five times are more charming too. I, too, in the past have tried whiskies that initially I was unimpressed with but soon became a raving fan. Cheers!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby dcb » Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 pm

I really enjoyed the last bottle of Johnnie Green I had. The Gold is on sale for $60 lately, can anyone offer a comparison of the two? I know the Gold has some grain in it..
dcb

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed May 27, 2009 8:41 pm

I honestly prefer the green over the gold IMO. But I am a rare one I think.

And yes you are right the Gold is a Blended Whisky hence the grain and the Green is a Blended Malt.

You should see what others say and go from there.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby lockejn » Wed May 27, 2009 9:05 pm

I agree - the green is superior. In fact, I even prefer the black to the gold when you factor in price.

These are my notes. They're not the best - from early on in my sampling career:

Johnnie Walker Green
Nose: Nutty, woody, light smoke, malty, salty
Palate: Heavy, oily, smoke, spicy
Finish: Medium-length, full bodied smoke, toasted grain, ginger, spice
Comments: Well composed

Johnnie Walker Gold
Nose: Malty, apple, caramel, butter, cream
Palate: Malt, wood, very little smoke, apple peel
Finish: Medium-length, soft, smooth, a bit dry, finishes thin and bitter
Comments: Remarkable nose, smooth feel, disappointing otherwise
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 pm

I prefer the Green over the Gold. The Gold has an off heather or mint like note on the finish that I dislike, but otherwise is very fine. When I compare it to Green, the Green comes out on top for me everytime.

That being said, the Gold is still excellent and has a superior nose. I could nose that scotch for ever. Very sophisticated and pleasing floral aromas.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:08 pm

I also prefer the Green over the Gold and the Black. Last year I bought a 1 liter bottle in Spain for just 32 euro's :)
This is a very nice whisky with great value for the money, IMO.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Jimmy321 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:42 pm

After reading this thread then reading up JWG i bought a bottle, tried it last night and it was really good, best vatted malt i have tried and well worth the money.
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby AZmalt » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:38 am

For Peat's sake, would everyone stop using 'JWG'?! :headbang: (at least in a thread when both are mentioned)

JW GOLD
or
JW GREEN

??
AZmalt

Postby borgom » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:24 am

Well personally I prefer JWG to JWB but I also like JWB over JWG so what do I know! :P
Who's on first?
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:13 am

I had a JWG last night. Great dram. Unlike the JWG I bought in duty free which was most disappointing. But I'd drink JWG anyday!

I like JWB too, great value. But I've never had JWB. Far too expensive. :insane:

Have yet to try BJN, or is it BNJ, and I fancy a shot at CIDE one of these days...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:25 pm

IMO JWB is overated, so is JWB. I've never tried JWG but the JWG I have at home I really like. I actually rate BNJ over JWB and also JWB but not JWG :wink:
dramtastic

Postby johan brugge » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:09 pm

@reggaeblues: If you ever get the chance to try BNJ, please do so. It's an excellent blend! :thumbsup:
BTW, I only like the Green label too. I hate the Red, don't like the Black that much and I don't think the Gold is worth it's money. Never had a Blue though I'd never buy it. You can get better quality for this kind of money.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby AZmalt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:44 am

AZmalt wrote:For Peat's sake, would everyone stop using 'JWG'?! :headbang: (at least in a thread when both are mentioned)

JW GOLD
or
JW GREEN

??

I give up
AZmalt

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder