Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bushmills 10 y.o. lacks a nose?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Bushmills 10 Years Old

Bushmills 10 y.o. lacks a nose?

Postby AdamMY » Sun May 17, 2009 6:55 am

I ordered a dram of the Bushmills 10 year, and while my nose seemed to be working fine, I could not smell the 10 year old. Has anyone noticed anything similar?
It did get slightly better as the glass warmed in my hand, but I thought it seemed highly lacking.

I haven't noticed this in the other Bushmills, so is this characteristic of the 10 year old, or was it a bad bottle?

It did taste like a characteristic bushmills, otherwise, I didn't really write down any tasting notes.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Bushmills 10 y.o. lacks a nose?

Postby kyorke1 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:16 am

What glass was it? For me the Bushmills 10 has an unmistakable and very distinct nose, I get mint and floral perfumy notes, its not the most attractive possibly because I have come to associate it with a bad whisky, other expressions are better. That's just MHO.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby AdamMY » Sun May 17, 2009 10:12 pm

it was my second glass, in a Glencairn type glass. I think it might have been very cold, as the longer I warmed it up the more nose came out of it.
AdamMY

Postby The Third Dram » Mon May 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Next time, sample it in a tasting glass with a smaller surface area in the bowl and a straight or inwardly canted upper taper... Even a grappa glass, perhaps. I often find that more delicate whiskies, like the Bushmills 10YO, benefit from the more 'focused' aromatic aeration that such glasses provide.

Worth a try, anyway. :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:03 am

I just opened a bottle of the 10 yo when I had it the first time it was at a restaurant. This time I'm having it in a cordial glass, think small wine/champagne glass.

But yes it does have a nose, its subtle but its there, perhaps the smells of food drowned it out the first time.

But its there with the rose water, butter and hard candies. Not a bad nose, but I would definitely say its alot more of an Irish nose than Scotch. But I do suppose think Glenlivet with less fruits, and you should be close.
AdamMY

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:57 am

Well, throw stones if you will. In this hot weather I was served a B10 over ice. Surprisingly tasty and refreshing! :shock:
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:15 am

Not the best Bushmills, well for me that is.

I also think most Bushmills could do with being bottled at a higher ABV anyway.

Their cask strength stuff is stellar but at a tasting recently I found that the latest bottling, the 1608 Anniversary Edition, stood out over a lot of the others and tt is bottled at 46% :D as opposed to the others at 40% :( . We had Bushmills nas, Blackbush, 10yo, 16yo & 21yo as well as te 1608. The 3 that stood out on the day were the Blackbush the 16yo and the 1608. However when I added water to the Blackbush (which I usually never do anyway) it just disappeared :o

I was very impressed with the 16yo and bought a bottle and it was much better than I remembered but I was slightly disappointed with the 21yo. A good whiskey but not sure it was worth double the 16yo.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby AdamMY » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:24 am

I got to know the 16 year old really well awhile back. It was on sale for nearly half off because the store decided it didn't want to carry it any more. Anyway, I wish I bought out the three bottles they had remaining, as it was a stellar whiskey. The NAS is the only one I would recommend putting on ice because its nearly way to spirity otherwise, but perhaps I'll pick up a bottle of that again sometime. The Blackbush is a long standing favorite of mine, in fact, when recommending whiskey to someone if they want to try and irish, I often push for the blackbush over the NAS as I think its so much of a better value.
AdamMY

Related whiskies : Bushmills 10 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder