Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky and soda

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Whisky and soda

Postby bbrownri » Wed May 20, 2009 1:10 am

It may not be a single malt (and don't get me wrong, I love me a good SMS :) ) but I just poured myself some Johnnie Walker Black with a dash of soda, and let me tell you, this is a great summertime drink: I still get the character of the whisky but the soda makes it fresh and cool. Anyone with me on this? What are your summer whiskies / whisky cocktails of choice?
bbrownri

Re: Whisky and soda

Postby anationonfire » Wed May 20, 2009 5:14 am

What kind of soda are we talking about?

I have never mixed a splash of scotch with any thing thus far (water does not count) I do however kick my sweet tooth with a Rye or Bourbon and Coke.

Isn't that about the only thing regular JD is worth keeping around for?
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby red » Wed May 20, 2009 2:30 pm

I am a big fan of Crown Royal with coke (with royal crown cola), this is my drink of choice in summer, and best of all, I never get any hang over out it!

I actually never tried CR neat, I'm assuming it not drinkable as I had them as shot a few time and it was not too good ;)
red

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed May 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Well, when I was a teenager I used to drink Jack, Crown, or Maker's with coke. But, now I usually drink other things during the summer. I usually don't drink much Whisky during the summer. if I were to I would find a ligh lowland SMS.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby bbrownri » Wed May 20, 2009 9:23 pm

Yes, I guess I could have been more precise: I mixed the JWB with some club soda: no added flavor, just carbonation.
bbrownri

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu May 21, 2009 1:02 am

Try Johnnie Black or Famous Grouse with an ice cube on a hot summer day. very refreshing
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Thu May 21, 2009 8:01 am

Yeah I have my Dalwhinnie with a Shot O' DAlwhinnie! :D
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Stewart » Sun May 24, 2009 1:42 am

Soda in scotch may be fine for some, but since I got into scotch hard-core a few years ago, I've become more of a purist. I add only a bit of straight water--how much depends on the whisky, and on whether I have to work after or not!
Stewart

Postby Klas » Sun May 24, 2009 10:02 am

Bbrownri, if you like it you should stick to it.

I must however say that I personally not that keen on Johnnie Walker Black with Soda. (Maybe just the soda, then) But then, again, that's just me. The most important thing is to have an opinion and not let anyone else tell you what to like or not.

/Klas
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Wed May 27, 2009 3:57 am

During the summer months, I like to relax in the yard with a whisky spritzer: A few ice cubes, a double of whisky and a can of club soda all in a large glass.

I use Crown Royal for this. I wouldn't use my SMs in such a concoction...I'm not rich enough!

8)
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby smn » Wed May 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Not too long ago I tried some Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or with soda (about 30% whisky 70% soda) and I was astonished. The way the flavours opened up!

It's a bit like putting quite a lot of water in your whisky, which I find really opens up the flavours but also makes the whisky totally lose it's 'edge' and go watery/limp in the mouth. Except now the carbonated soda keeps the edge.

I really recommend some experiments with whisky/soda combinations :thumbsup:
smn

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder