Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Y'all may kick me out for this one..

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Y'all may kick me out for this one..

Postby talisker10 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:54 am

Well, my journey in whiskeys seems to be going in a strabge path. First I discovered I really liked JWB, and now it's Chivas 12. I bought a bottle last night, and am really enjoying it with ice. I love chocolate, and it has the most wonderful chocolaty flavor, almost like a smoky chocolate. I haven't read much good about Chivas 12 here..so you'll have to forgive me. When I am back in Texas near my Spec's I'll start back up with Laphoraig and the other great SMS I love, but I am really developing a new appreciation for at least JWB and Chivas 12.
talisker10
Silver Member

Re: Y'all may kick me out for this one..

Postby pkt77242 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:35 am

talisker10 wrote:Well, my journey in whiskeys seems to be going in a strabge path. First I discovered I really liked JWB, and now it's Chivas 12. I bought a bottle last night, and am really enjoying it with ice. I love chocolate, and it has the most wonderful chocolaty flavor, almost like a smoky chocolate. I haven't read much good about Chivas 12 here..so you'll have to forgive me. When I am back in Texas near my Spec's I'll start back up with Laphoraig and the other great SMS I love, but I am really developing a new appreciation for at least JWB and Chivas 12.

Nothing wrong with that. Chivas 12 is a solid blend and it is nice on ice.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu May 28, 2009 12:14 pm

talisker10 wrote:When I am back in Texas near my Spec's I'll start back up with Laphoraig and the other great SMS I love, but I am really developing a new appreciation for at least JWB and Chivas 12.

I'm glad you are discovering new whiskies to enjoy. I think it is a bad idea to become a SM whisky snob. Snobs are always annoying.

8)
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Thu May 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Well, now there's even more whiskies for you to enjoy! I like having a few blends open myself and i'm also enjoying a little Chivas 12 at the mo.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu May 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Chivas 12 is a very decent blend. A friend of mine used to keep a bottle for me at his house so whenever I came over there was whisky for me. Needless to say over the course of 2 months going to visit him here and there the bottle was gone. There is no reason why you have to stick to SM. No sin there.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu May 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Another to try is Ballantines 17yo.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby tuddy24 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:16 am

talisker10 wrote:Well, my journey in whiskeys seems to be going in a strabge path. First I discovered I really liked JWB, and now it's Chivas 12. I bought a bottle last night, and am really enjoying it with ice. I love chocolate, and it has the most wonderful chocolaty flavor, almost like a smoky chocolate. I haven't read much good about Chivas 12 here..so you'll have to forgive me. When I am back in Texas near my Spec's I'll start back up with Laphoraig and the other great SMS I love, but I am really developing a new appreciation for at least JWB and Chivas 12.

Don't sweat it Talisker 10. I too love JWB and happen to consider HP12 my favorite of all the SM's I've had. I find JWB greatly balanced if just a shy sweet but it's my mainstay when I just want to chill out and have a drink. I have not had the Chivas 12, Jim Murray's 2009 guide steered me away from it because he said the finish was too short. Based on your statement however I might give it a go. It's cheap enough! What other blends do you enjoy? Ever had Teacher's Cream? Enjoy!
tuddy24

Postby talisker10 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:56 am

Hey tuddy24,

I can't tell that the finish is any shorter than any other blend I have had. It's a pleasant finish, though.

I have had Teacher's. I liked it a lot initially, but as the bottle was consumed I found it was too sweet. However, at that time I was drinking any blend like SMS..neat. I have since discovered that both JWB and JWR as well as Chivas 12 are much better with ice, so I need to try Teacher's with ice.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby talisker10 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:57 am

Hey Novice Scotch Fan, you always have good taste. I have never seen Ballantine's 17, but I will look for it!
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri May 29, 2009 2:30 am

talisker10 wrote:Hey tuddy24,

I can't tell that the finish is any shorter than any other blend I have had. It's a pleasant finish, though.

I have had Teacher's. I liked it a lot initially, but as the bottle was consumed I found it was too sweet. However, at that time I was drinking any blend like SMS..neat. I have since discovered that both JWB and JWR as well as Chivas 12 are much better with ice, so I need to try Teacher's with ice.

I nearly always have Teachers with a little ice. By little, I mean a single large ice cube, let it melt for a minute or two and then try. Really improves it in my opinion. If you look at antique ads for Teachers from the 1940's and 50's the serving is depicted with ice. Try it! It brings out a whole new dimension.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder