Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A Blend with a friend?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

A Blend with a friend?

Postby tuddy24 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:36 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting together with a friend tomorrow who I've recently found out likes Scotch, Dewar's basic stuff. He drinks his over ice but I go neat with water on the side. Can anyone recommend a good blend that might satisfy the both of us? I'd like to try something new that ranks alongside JWB and Black Bottle(no age statement). Since he's on the rocks I was thinking sweeter and I've heard that Famous Grouse Gold Reserve(12 year), Teacher's, and Chivas 12 are some good options. I'm trying to keep it around $20 and the above 3 are pretty close on target. Any ideas?

-Pete
tuddy24

Re: A Blend with a friend?

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri May 29, 2009 2:39 am

tuddy24 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm getting together with a friend tomorrow who I've recently found out likes Scotch, Dewar's basic stuff. He drinks his over ice but I go neat with water on the side. Can anyone recommend a good blend that might satisfy the both of us? I'd like to try something new that ranks alongside JWB and Black Bottle(no age statement). Since he's on the rocks I was thinking sweeter and I've heard that Famous Grouse Gold Reserve(12 year), Teacher's, and Chivas 12 are some good options. I'm trying to keep it around $20 and the above 3 are pretty close on target. Any ideas?

-Pete

Of the three options you have suggested I would choose Teachers. The Famous Grouse is too sweet and between Chivas 12 and Teachers, I opt for the latter, mainly based on price and the fact that your friend likes the basic stuff. I think he will find the Teacher's intriguing. Works well with ice or neat.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:39 am

I would agree. Even I though I have discovered I really like Chivas 12 and like it better than Teacher's, I think more people would prefer Teacher's.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Sat May 30, 2009 3:49 am

Bailie Nicol Jarvie if it's available to you, my fave bang for ya buck blend.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sat May 30, 2009 4:36 am

I'll second BNJ. Otherwise I'd suggest Ballantine's 12 or an Irish like Black Bush.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:08 am

tuddy24 wrote:Hi Everyone,

-Pete

I say go with the Dewars 12 if he likes the Dewars white label. A little smoother, some honey and a decent blend and he should enjoy it.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder