Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help me find a Whisky!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Help me find a Whisky!

Postby zero1boy » Sun May 31, 2009 4:40 am

I am new to whisky tasting and have only tasted a few nice choices, including my favorite, Highland Park 15 yo. I love a sweet and smokey whisky and I am looking for suggestions for new ones to try that will not break the bank and are not overly peaty. Any ideas???
zero1boy

Re: Help me find a Whisky!

Postby kyorke1 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:11 pm

I think the HP 18 is fantastic and has a good balance of sweet and smoke that you like, I haven't had the 15 so I can't really compare the two. Others that offer sweetness and smoke are Talisker, Lagavulin DE perhaps (this maybe a little peaty though) to name a couple.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sun May 31, 2009 2:43 pm

Try the Talisker 18, it's sweet and the peat is mild. A very good whisky, one of the best ob's I know.
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun May 31, 2009 4:24 pm

The 18-year old Highland Park and Talisker are both established classics... Brilliantly balanced, satisfying whiskies of tremendous complexity.

If you're interested in a single malt whisky displaying a more 'grain' rather than 'fruit' driven malt characteristic and possessing a whiff of smokiness, then Glen Garioch 15 Year Old might just do the trick.

And if a vatted pure malt is in your arena of interest, I'd heartily recommend Poit Dhubh 12 Bliadhna Mac Na Braiche Green Label - sweet and lush at the outset before the warming embers begin to take hold.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby zero1boy » Sun May 31, 2009 4:59 pm

Thanks...I will look for the Talisker as I have never tried that one. I have tried the HP 18 and enjoyed it immensely, but liked how the 15 had a bit more "punch" to it while the 18 was more mellowed and balanced. (Maybe this liking the less mellowed one is due to a lack of experience?)
zero1boy

Postby pkt77242 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:46 pm

zero1boy wrote:Thanks...I will look for the Talisker as I have never tried that one. I have tried the HP 18 and enjoyed it immensely, but liked how the 15 had a bit more "punch" to it while the 18 was more mellowed and balanced. (Maybe this liking the less mellowed one is due to a lack of experience?)

It could be lack of experience (when I first got into malts I wanted something to punch me in the face so to speak (talisker 10, Laga 16, Ardbeg 10)) though more probably it is mood, sometimes I want something smooth and balanced and sometimes I want a rough in your face whisky.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby scotchdrinker » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:57 pm

I personally did not like the Talisker on multiple occassions. I thought it was overly smokey IMO. I would definitely recommend trying it before buying it if you can. If you want a sweet not so peaty Scotch that is from a different area. I would recommend Auchentoshan Triple Wood. It is really good but it is more subtle and sweet.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby lockejn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:52 am

I would strongly recommend Ardmore Traditional Cask. Truly remarkable dram - even without the age statement. It's sort of an Islay Light with a bit more character than just the smoke and peat. There's a good dose of malt and a honey/vanilla sweetness to make for a perfectly well-rounded character (IMHO).

I understand it can be difficult to find in some areas here in the states, but it goes for just $43 per bottle in NH. Possibly my new favorite.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Minnesota Malt » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:21 am

Try the HP 12. I know it is going backwards, but it is a classic. :P
Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Postby desouza » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:25 pm

My suggestions are Mortlach- Gordon & McPhail -15/16 yr old
Clynelish - 14 yr old Sherry cask
Macallan - 12 yr old sherry oak