Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Introduction

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Introduction

Postby lucabeer » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:09 am

Hi,

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself!

My name is Luca, I am 29 years old and I live in Torino, Northern Italy.

I am "addicted" to good vices... good food, pipe smoking and collecting, beer, and now I have started discovering whisky.

For years I have been drinking the occasional Glen Grant 5 years, Ballantines Finest, Johnny Walker Red (which is the only one I still like of these three), without ever trying to understand the different regional characteristics of Scotch or exploring the difference between a blended and a single malt.

Then one day I found some attractively priced Talisker and Oban at the supermarket, and the fun started, as I immediately loved these two whiskies (especially Talisker).

Yesterday I finally found a good and not too expensive liquor store, and I bought a bottle of Ardbeg 10yo and a Laphroaig 10yo: I like that smoky, tarry aftertaste! The Laphroaig is a little better for me, imho, as the Ardbeg is very "dry" to my taste. Great stuff this Laphroaig.

Next buys will be Highland Park, Lagavulin (which I have been offered once and which I enjoyed) and Johnnie Walker Black Label (as I still like the Red)... what a fun world to discover!
lucabeer

Postby SasquatchMan » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:24 pm

Well luca, you're on the right track as regards some good single malts to start with. Highland park and Lagavulin are terrific, and as you say, Laphroaig is a wonder unto itself. I think you will never taste Johnny Walker red label ever again if you buy a bottle of the black. The difference is just, well, it's just that one is good and one is bad, it's as simple as that.

A lovely inexpensive single malt is Aberlour, and Tamdhu is worth a peek too. More expensive but a favorite of lots of whisky heads is Longmorn - the price of which seems to vary a lot in my area (I've seen it as cheap as $39 Cdn and as much as $60.)

You have it good in Europe for pipe tobacco - really good tobacco is hard to come by here. I usually smoke the American mix "Captain Black", but when I was in Germany and Switzerland, I was able to purchase some really fine stuff - unfortunately that was 7 years ago, and of course, it's all gone :(
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby lucabeer » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:34 pm

Thanks for the malt advice!

About pipe tobaccos, I know the problems with finding them at reasonable prices in Canada (you live there, right?) as I often visit alt.smokers.pipes. But why don't you do as I do and order some GLPease and McClelland stuff from the USA? It's great stuff!
lucabeer

Postby SasquatchMan » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:12 pm

I've had the McClelland stuff - not bad, but I thought it was a lot more money and only marginally better than other stuff I can get. Peter Stockeby is usually pretty good too.

There's only one proper tobacconist in the city near me, and his stuff is very expensive, and he wets it so that 100g of tobacco is really not very much - so I don't like to purchase from him. Alas.

I just got a bottle of Bushmills malt - this is interesting stuff - it's not peated at all, so you get just a pure malt whisky. I like it quite a bit.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby lucabeer » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:23 pm

I got drunk once on a bottle of Bushmills many years ago to celebrate an exam at the university. Not bad, but I definitely prefer the peaty taste of many scotch whiskies!
lucabeer

Postby lucabeer » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:25 pm

Going slightly OT, have you tried ordering tobaccos from internet stores like http://www.smokingpipes.com, http://www.pipesforless.com, http://www.tobaccodirect.com? They have great prices, and they would be MORE than happy to help you with the Canadian customs... Try the GLPease english/balkan blends, they are great!
lucabeer

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder