Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Craigellachie

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

New World Whisky

Postby JVP » Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:07 pm

I am interested to know if anyone has tried some of the 'New World' Whisky coming out of Australia, New Zealand and the USA. Apart from some limited notes in MJ's excellent Malt Whiskey companion I have no other information. Does anyone know where you can get your hands on a bottle in the UK?

New world wines have taken the world by storm over the last decade. Could this trend also spread to the Whisky industry? "Never" I hear the cry! That's what the French said 15 years ago!

Would appreciate any info or advice.

Regards..........JVP
JVP

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Jun 17, 2001 11:22 pm

I've tried Lammerlaw from New Zealand.

It was in Dufftown when A man from Cadenhead's turned up with some free samples for an impromptu tasting.

Cadenheads is your best bet. They have shops in Edinburgh and London
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby lexkraai » Mon Jun 18, 2001 8:09 am

Hi JVP

Tried Lammerlaw some time ago, very decent stuff, hints of caramel. Yoichi 12 y.o., from Japan, is a real peat monster. Also had a taste of St George when I visited the distillery the day before the WoW Expo in SF. Now THAT's a whiskey to keep an eye out for! Very fruity and remarkably gentle for a 3 y.o.!

I also have an (unopened yet) bottle of Cradle Mountain (Small Concern distillery, Tasmania) and another Taz single malt in the post towards me.

Although many people may shiver at the idea of a malt whisky from countries other than Scotland/Ireland, I personally feel it's the whisky that should do the talking. Two areas in the world that are really 'growing' at the moment for as fas as single malts are concerned are Tasmania and California.

Slainte, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:08 pm

JVP,

Have you tryed Sullivan's Cove yet, It's an Australian Malt from Tasmania, 8Y old and matured in Oak Casks...

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby lexkraai » Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:25 pm

Hi Erik

If you have an early bottle of Sullivan's Cove, you may not have Australian whisky at all, but Scottish. The previous owners of the distillery weren't too bothered about where their stuff really came from ....

Tasmania distillery is under new ownership since 1999 (if I remember correctly), so the newer Sullivan's Cove should be really Tasmanian!

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:20 pm

Sullivan's Cove? Sullivan's sock more like.

My friend brought this back from Australia earlier in the year. It smells burnt and probably would appeal to Bourbon drinkers but not to me
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Xavier » Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:51 am

Hi all,

Just to let you know that there is even Cuban whisky. It is distilled in a rum distillery and really tastes like rum too... It will take a long while to finish that bottle !

Xavier
Xavier

Craigellachie

Postby jeanmarcdanquigny » Tue Jun 19, 2001 8:01 pm

I am surprised that no tasting has been made of Craigellachie..
SMWS had very enjoyable bottlings and the millenium Cadenhead's 37Yo bottling is a monument of vitality and freshness for such a veteran !!
jeanmarcdanquigny

Postby JVP » Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:38 pm

Thanks everyone for you help. I will try Cadenheads to see if I can source some of your recommendations.
Does anyone think this would make a good tasting feature for WW mag? With a bit of research I reckon plenty more 'new world' examples will come out of the woodwork!
Best regards
JVP
JVP

Postby lexkraai » Fri Jul 20, 2001 8:43 am

Hi JVP

----------------------------------------
Does anyone think this would make a good tasting feature for WW mag? With a bit of research I reckon plenty more 'new world' examples will come out of the woodwork!
----------------------------------------

Definitely! And you never know what undiscovered gems will surface. Upcoming 'new' malt areas are the western US (St George, Peregrine Rock, McCarthys; a distillery in Colorado is under construction), Tasmania (four operating distilleries, three of which are on the market; the product of the fourth one will be released in 2002/3) and Sweden (two distilleries started up recently). The Czech Republic makes some pretty nice malt whiskies, Turkey makes a decent one as well. New Zealand has another single 'malt' besides Lammerlaw (called 'Roaring Forties', made by the South Pacific distillery), but information so far indicates it's made from a mixture of malted barley and unmalted grains, which technically makes it a single grain rather than a single malt. There's also an Australian single malt on the market, which probably comes from the closed Corio distillery. Canada has Glen Breton from the Glenora distillery (and a few bottles of Glen Ogopogo from the Okanagan distillery are still lurking in Japan). India and Pakistan also have their single malts and of course Japan, which has about 10 malt distilleries at the moment.

I'm sure I forgot a few countries, but it would certainly be fun to see a tasting line-up in WM of, say, the American and Tasmanian single malts.

Slainte, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby JVP » Sun Jul 22, 2001 8:01 pm

Hi Lex
Wow! That list will really give me something to research!!! Thanks for the pointers.

Best Regards

JVP

PS: Does anyone know the best way to send a requst to the WM editor for a feature on 'The New World'?
JVP

Postby lexkraai » Mon Jul 23, 2001 7:52 am

Hi JVP

Add to my list the Roggenhof distillery in Austria. I just discovered they make three single malts, one from 100% malted barley, one from 100% malted rye (meaning Old Potrero isn't the only single malt rye whisky anymore) and one from a mixture of malted barley and malted rye.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder