Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Gordon Highlanders

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Gordon Highlanders

Postby SasquatchMan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:36 am

What's the consensus on this stuff? I know a lot of "newbie" scotch drinkers who like it, and to be honest, I think it tastes pretty good (a lot better than a lot of the cheaper blends, like JW Red or Ballantine's).

I assume the dark colour is merely caramel, to appeal to the American market (in which dark liquors tend to be preferred). Does anyone know what goes into this stuff? I think it's surprisingly mellow for a 43% blend.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:09 pm

It is under the Wm Grant & Sons umbrella. I much prefer it to Grant's Family Reserve, though that isn't saying too much. It is only 40% here for some reason. I suspect it has a fair amount of Glenfiddich and/or The Balvenie in it but I'm not sure. Never nosed one seriously enough to try and pick it apart.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby SasquatchMan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:02 pm

Harry, I know what you mean about preferring it to Grant's and also that that doesn't mean much. I also suspect you are correct on both counts - I assume it has a bit of fiddich for the mellow and a bit of Balvenie for the robustness... as to what else, God only knows - it's impossible to pick a blend like that apart.. It's interesting stuff for the price.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder