Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

...Cognac?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

...Cognac?

Postby tuddy24 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:26 am

Sorry everyone I know this does not belong here but try searching for a recommended beginner list of Brandy, good luck. I know the people here are very well versed in their spirits and in general. I'm looking to expand my horizons and Brandy has piqued my interest. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
tuddy24

Re: ...Cognac?

Postby Liechtenstein » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Traitor!
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Liechtenstein wrote:Traitor!

One man's traitor is another man's patriot.

I'll talk to someone that may be able to help you a little bit.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby johan brugge » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:51 pm

tuddy24 wrote:Sorry everyone I know this does not belong here but try searching for a recommended beginner list of Brandy, good luck. I know the people here are very well versed in their spirits and in general. I'm looking to expand my horizons and Brandy has piqued my interest. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Try this link: http://www.cognac-world.com
I used to drink cognac too in the past but I turned to single malt forever. I hope you change your mind one day.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby sku » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Brandy is a wonderful spirit and there are precious few resources out there for beginning Brandy lovers compared to whiskey. I did a series on brandy, mostly Cognac, earlier this year:

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/search/label/Brandy
sku
Bronze Member

Postby t-bone » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:31 pm

Crown Royal Cask 16 - a classic Canadian whisky finished in ex cognac casks...beautiful stuff.

t-bone

Postby Liechtenstein » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:19 am

t-bone wrote:Crown Royal Cask 16 - a classic Canadian whisky finished in ex cognac casks...beautiful stuff.

CR Cask No. 16 is only $100 and will be my next purchase.

Isn't rum the popular drink in Europe now? I managed to find a bottle of Newfoundland SCREECH.

Ganga wrote:One man's traitor is another man's patriot.

You're right: Paul Revere and Benjamin Franklin were actually traitors and revolutionaries!

:P
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby tuddy24 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:06 am

See this is exactly why I love all you guys/girls. Where else could have have people so emotional when it comes to their drink of choice that they would range from calling you a traitor to recommending a whiskey finished in Cognac, to offering some advice? Thanks for all the responses I loved them all!

P.S. I'll never stop loving whisky I just want to expand my horizons!
tuddy24

Postby borgom » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:51 am

I've had very limited experience with cognac but my main tips are use the right glass and let it breath for quite a while. I found it much more pleasant 10+ minutes after it was poured. Generally I found VS and VSOP cognacs too rough. The only decent one i had was Martell Cordon Bleu. If it wasn't so expensive I probably would purchase it again, but there's just too many good whiskies to buy for that sort of money :D .
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Charlie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:52 am

You could also consider Armagnac. A very smooth, and delicious drink.
Charlie

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:25 am

Where are you based tuddy24? If you have access to a Cadenhead's shop, they do XO cognac bottlings, which are uncoloured and unchilfiltered, bottled at Cask strength and sold at about 50% of the price of a big brand XO. The difference between this product and the 40% chillfiltered, caramel loaded big brands is stunning. I've drunk quite a few cognacs at this age and keep a few in the house for visitors and there is no contest. If you can, go out and find independent bottlers of cognac and try their stuff.

Cadenhead's Cognac
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:47 pm

I haven't tasted the ones bottled by Cadenheads but must say Willie's advice sounds sensible.

From an earlier post on the subject:

Well, concerning the tarted up Cognacs it's far easier to say it's the rule rather than the exception. For really good cognacs without additives you could try products from the following producers:
1. J. Normandin-Mercier
2. Frapin
3. Ragnaud Sabourin
4. Leopold Gourmel

I don't wish to appear as snobby and there are actually cognacs I like - despite added sugar syrup (to a varying degree) but one should consider that most cognacs - including the luxus brands such as Remy Martin, Renault etc are sweetened and coloured. There's nothing wrong in enjoying and liking cognacs like that and there is a possible danger in trying the non-additive cognac as there isn't any "satisfaction guaranteed" coming with the bottle. Most of us are used to the sweet ones! But added sugar and natural sugar from the oak when matured for a long time is something completely different. Expect something far more flowery and lighter than the usual stuff.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2821&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Cognac+it%27s+far+more+difficult+to+find+good+stuff+than+with+whisky
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby sku » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 pm

People in the whiskey world will have to adapt their thinking a bit when it comes to Cognac. As noted above, nearly all Cognac is colored. Many are also sweetened with sugar syrup and aged using the boise method (wood chips). They are almost all at 40% abv. The biggest houses are generally the worst offenders in terms of additives.

For something purer, Armagnac is a good choice with a bit less of these additives.

What Cognac needs is a feisty group of afficionados like those in the whiskey world who have pushed for an end to coloring and chill filtering and for higher abvs.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Or one could simply go the Spanish Brandy route and try some of the excellent ones out there. Torres 20 Hors d'Age is a household staple and, for my money, outpoints any Cognac available at a similar price level. Emilio Lustau also produces some exceptional Reserve ones. Then, there's the fine Gran Duque d'Alba and Lepanto as well.

By the way, that Crown Royal Cask No. 16 is tasty indeed! :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby desouza » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:42 am

by The Third Dram on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Or one could simply go the Spanish Brandy route and try some of the excellent ones out there. Torres 20 Hors d'Age is a household staple and, for my money, outpoints any Cognac available at a similar price level. Emilio Lustau also produces some exceptional Reserve ones. Then, there's the fine Gran Duque d'Alba and Lepanto as well.

In the same vein, I like Cardinal Mendoza another fine Spanish brandy
that will give most Cognac a "run for their money".The grand daddy in the Spanish stable is The Grand Conde. It comes in a Salvador Dali bottle, which gives you the impression that you're drunk even before you pour its contents into your glass, since bottle is skewed(crooked) in true Dali fashion.
At a Cognac tasting I was "blown away" with a single cube of ice in a Remy Martin VSOP. 8)
Try it sometime and experience "the wind"!
desouza

Postby Bloody Marvellous » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:09 am

Depending on your budget.

I must admit I only know the big name brands of Cognac, and am particularly fond of the Remy Martin XO, the Martell XO, and the Martell Cordon Bleu.

I also bought a bottle of Remy Martin's Louis XIII on a whim, but haven't had the guts to open it yet.
Bloody Marvellous

Postby Drammed » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:56 am

Bloody Marvellous wrote:Depending on your budget.

I must admit I only know the big name brands of Cognac, and am particularly fond of the Remy Martin XO, the Martell XO, and the Martell Cordon Bleu.

I also bought a bottle of Remy Martin's Louis XIII on a whim, but haven't had the guts to open it yet.

Louis XIII, damn! If you do open it I'll fly over just to lick the cork :P

I used to enjoy the Remy Martin XO very much but it just became monochromatic to me after a while.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby nchan50 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:39 pm

My favorites are Germain-Robin (XO or the single barrel pinot noir if you can find it) and Frapin Chateau Fontpinot. Pretty different but both very good.
nchan50

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Didn't Hennessy make a whiskey for one of their forgeign markets?
Erm , not really relevant to the topic, sorry :|

There's always been a bottle of Hennessy in the house and only a bit is used for the Xmas cakes my ma would make. I've a bottle now that I make sidecars with which are pretty nice. Wonder what a whiskey sidecar would be like 8)
Alan Gold Label

Postby johan brugge » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Hey Alan, would you like to explain to me what a sidecar is. I've never heard of it.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:41 pm

It's brandy, cointreau and lemon juice shaken with ice and strained into a chilled/frosted martini glass with a sugar rim.

It's an aul classic :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidecar_(cocktail)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fine_A ... ing_Drinks
Alan Gold Label

Postby johan brugge » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks Alan. Sounds really sweet and sugary.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Pure Pot Head » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:34 pm

t-bone wrote:
Crown Royal Cask 16 - a classic Canadian whisky finished in ex cognac casks...beautiful stuff.

Cool picture. What does cask 16 mean? What's special about it?

Pure Pot Head
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby schitzengiggles » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:22 am

The issues that detract from the products of the big scotch whisky producers (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich) ie.. using shitty old wood, and caramel, are common to the big producers of cognac. If you like bland, inoffensive, yet without character malt, like modern Glenfiddich, please by all means try a cognac from a the big three (Hennessy, Remy, Martell.) Chances are Cognac has a bad name because of the rubbish these marketing machines bottle.

If you want a drink with personality, buy from a grower/producer. Francois Voyer and Paul Giraud are notworthy examples. Both of these guys previously produced cognac and sold it off to the larger houses for their blends, but are now producing under their own label, and you can taste a dramatic difference.

Paul Giraud Elegance is first of all cheap, but matured in young wood, and offers bright, fresh, lively stonefruit characters all wrapped in a soft silky texture.

Francois Voyer Napoleon 15 is a touch more expensive, and offers a more mature, deeper flavour profile, but retains a degree of liveliness and freshness. Perfectly balanced and well priced.

Paul Giraud Heritage is a 50+ year old offering which retails here for 1/10th of what a Dalmore 40yo whisky sells for and is undeniably the finest drink I've ever had - and I've got notes for hundreds of spirits. An ethereal bouquet wafts up from the glass, you can smell it from a distance, lovely dried fruits and generous amounts of exotic spices tease. The palate is plush, vibrant, and loaded with flavour - still very much alive. I could rant on about it forever.

Cheers!
schitzengiggles

Postby Vuk Mihailo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:49 pm

You may try Serbian RAKIJA, such as SOKOLOVA... it is something :angel:
Vuk Mihailo

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder