Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Teacher's and a surprising JWRed observation

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Teacher's and a surprising JWRed observation

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:Don't be a snob. Try a bottle. Judge for yourself . . . and then post it here naturally.

OK, okay. I'll buy a bottle tonight. I won't drink it tonight though, as I planned on this being a Caol Ila evening.

I'm going away for a weekend by the sea and I'll bring the Red with me. I'll write my review of this scotch when I return on Sunday.

Uh...is this what is called Peer Pressure?!

:wink:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Maybe...but it's a lot friendlier than Beer Pressure...you know, when you've had one bottle too many and there's a queue for the little boy's room.

Well, the JW Gold I bought was a good deal as I remember. I'm a bit wary of "good deals" as I now suspect it's to get rid of bad batches!

Look forward to reading your thoughts on the red.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:13 pm

I'm not a fan of the Gold, either. It has an unpleasant bitterness in the finish that ruins it for me. For the price, I'd drink Red all day long. The nose is remarkable, though.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Reggae,
I have had Black, Green, Gold, and Blue and to this day Green is my favorite. My least favorite of all of them is Gold. The last time I had blue a few months back I was less than thrilled with that too. I am pretty sure the recipe on the blue has changed since my prior bottles I had. Luckily this bad batch I had in a restaurant so I am not out the cost of a bottle.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:03 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:Reggae,
I have had Black, Green, Gold, and Blue and to this day Green is my favorite. My least favorite of all of them is Gold. The last time I had blue a few months back I was less than thrilled with that too. I am pretty sure the recipe on the blue has changed since my prior bottles I had. Luckily this bad batch I had in a restaurant so I am not out the cost of a bottle.

We're kind of on the same page then, though I have yet to fully appreciate the

"common old JWRed!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:
scotchdrinker wrote:Reggae,

We're kind of on the same page then, though I have yet to fully appreciate the

"common old JWRed!"

Yeah, but I have not tried that red and I am not sure how soon I will be either :D But, hey who knows it could happen sooner than i think.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:07 am

Well, it is done. I have a bottle of Red.

I went to a different liquor store dressed as a tourist. I had on a T-shirt with a big American flag on the front, and I was wearing shorts and sandals. I spoke only English to the lady at the cash so as to not seem like a local boy. She stared at my flag and I could just hear her thinking, «OK, now I know why he's buying Red Label!» There was a smirk on her face as well.

:oops:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby lockejn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:51 pm

:thumbsup:
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:42 pm

:P
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:07 am

Reggaeblues wrote:BTW what does anyone think of the Gold? I bought the all-singing all-dancing 18 year old in DF and was underwhelmed all the way to the bottom of the bottle...

Johnnie Walker Gold Label has the finest nose of any scotch (single malt or blend) I have ever tried. Simply incredible. The flavor profile is good, but not as good as the Green label which is $10 cheaper (as well as a vatted malt). I like it, but I guess, my favorites are Green and Blue at the upper end of this product line.

Gold is something everyone should try, but I agree, I would take Lagavulin 16 anyday on a value for money basis.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:09 am

Liechtenstein wrote:Well, it is done. I have a bottle of Red.

I went to a different liquor store dressed as a tourist. I had on a T-shirt with a big American flag on the front, and I was wearing shorts and sandals. I spoke only English to the lady at the cash so as to not seem like a local boy. She stared at my flag and I could just hear her thinking, «OK, now I know why he's buying Red Label!» There was a smirk on her face as well.

:oops:

Ok, you've proven you're a team player, now give us your review . . . inquiring minds want to know. :D
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:17 am

[quote="tuddy24"] If the Teacher's had more smoke to it that would be the bargain of the century."

Tuddy, in my opinion Teachers is the bargain of the century. This is a blend that you should return to once you grow bored with the Red Label. Teachers has smoke and peat, I think you should give it another go. Very good value for money. Try it again. You wont regret it. It will grow on you.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:40 am

My biggest problem with Teachers is the overwhealming Ardmore sweet smoke. It just doesn't have much balancing the sweetness. Mind you this is my first and only bottle of Teachers so other batches might be better balanced.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby tuddy24 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:53 pm

borgom wrote:My biggest problem with Teachers is the overwhealming Ardmore sweet smoke. It just doesn't have much balancing the sweetness. Mind you this is my first and only bottle of Teachers so other batches might be better balanced.

To me, there is a lot of sweet peat that is kind of rough after a few drams. This blend is extremely "big" though and not many blends, particularly the JW Red, are this weighty at this price. Still, I like overall balance regardless of price and for me the Red is better. I'm even finding that I prefer the Red to the Black because the Black seems a little too sweet. I've always had that feeling going from a good SM to Black though.
tuddy24

Postby Liechtenstein » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:15 am

tuddy24 wrote:If you're used to single malts the JWR will most likely be too thin for you. It has such a smokey kick with some sweetness to back it up though and it's a lot of fun to drink. It's extremely smokey as a matter of fact I throw one ice cube in it and wait for it to melt and get slightly above room temperature and it's great. I'm really enjoying it as low brow as it is to most SM aficionados but I don't really care. In Chicago you can get a 1.75L for $30 and sometimes it goes on sale for $24! Let us know if you decide to try it.

I paid $38.25 Canadian for a 40oz bottle (1.14 liter) of JWRed and that is about $35 US dollars. I find that somewhat pricey for the quality of the whisky as I can get a 40oz of Crown Royal for around CAN$32 and it is a superior whisky to the JWR. When I'm in the States, I can pick up a 1.75L bottle of Jim Beam White label for US$25, on sale for US$20, also a superior whisky in my opinion.

Now - don't get me wrong! - I'm not bashing JWR! I just think it is overpriced, at least in Canada.

You are right, I did find JWR too thin. I did like its smokiness and was surprised to taste smoke in such a basic scotch. When I first tried it neat, it was after a very long day, at 11pm, at our hotel. I didn't get the nose lockejn spoke of,

lockejn wrote: For the price, I'd drink Red all day long. The nose is remarkable, though.

The spirit in my bottle came with an unremarkable nose, just a little smoky. On the palate, I got more smoke and...apple pie and mushrooms? Is that possible? or am I getting old?! Nicely sweet, I'd say.

I then tried it on the rocks and that is where JWR pales for a long-time whisky drinker. It is quickly overwhelmed by the melting ice and loses flavour, becoming just a tad bitter. I could see JWR being a great scotch for people who are occasionnal whisky drinkers as it remains pleasant whether neat, on-the-rocks or with soda. It is all-around good but not remarkable in any way.

Will I buy it again? If I lived in America where the price is more reasonable, yes. In Canada - where I live - there are other whiskies which represent better value.

I am happy to have finally tried it - again - after so many years. It was my first scotch - along with Black & White - and this experience was like meeting an old girlfriend after the magic has gone...

:)
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:27 pm

thanks for the post Liechtenstein. Not as bad as you thought eh?
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:21 am

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:thanks for the post Liechtenstein. Not as bad as you thought eh?

Actually, JW Red surprised me. I had it tonight again, this time as a whisky spritzer: ice, a double of whisky and 10oz of club soda, and enjoyed it. I appreciated its slightly smokey taste with that ever-so-light saltiness. Still, when mixed with water, JWR takes on a very mild bitter turn...but I don't think this would be perceptible to most.

I think it is a good all-around scotch to keep in Mr. Everybody's bar. Not really a whisky aficionado's drink but an honest everyday scotch.

:thumbsup:

PS: Hey! The label even says «By Appointment To Her Majesty the Queen» ...if it is good enough for Elizabeth II, who am I to stick up my nose at it?
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder