Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Am I the only one who likes Octomore better than Supernova?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Am I the only one who likes Octomore better than Supernova?

Postby sku » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:01 pm

Well, am I?

I know you have been enjoying these whiskies for some time in the UK, but they only recently made it to the US in any quantity. As soon as I got both I did a side by side tasting. I generally like Ardbegs better than Laddies, so I was surprised at the result. I just thought the Octomore had more punch and more going on than the Supernova. This was the Octomore 1.1.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... -upon.html
sku
Bronze Member

Re: Am I the only one who likes Octomore better than Supernova?

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:04 am

SKU,

I would suggest you are not. I myself prefer the Octo Futures mainly because the peat is softer in this expression. Generally speaking, more folks have expressed a preference for the Nova but by no means is this unanimous.

Here's a thread for you to look at: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10989
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby desouza » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Gentlemen,

My experience was a little different. The Nova was "smoother: and had alot
of finesse. Frankly, I was surprised by the "fluidity" of the peat with the sweetness of the malt - they meshed very well. The Octomore seemed "rough around the edges", especially when tasted side by side with the Nova.
Maybe we need to do "further research"!

Slainte!
desouza

Postby Plastiquehomme » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:26 am

I definitely preferred the Supernova than the Octomore. I'm not the massive Ardbeg fan that a lot of people are. I like it, but not to the extent that many people seem to. The Supernova is my favourite Ardbeg thus far though, and I enjoyed it a lot more than the Octomore. However, I would definitely have rated the Octomore higher than the Ardbeg Renaissance.
Plastiquehomme

Postby borgom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:00 am

Well I'm just trying Supernova for the first time and I already think I prefer it to the Octomore. Quite frankly I don't think either are worth the price. At only 2 years old I find the (far cheaper) Kilchoman more complex. Still Young, Almost There, Renaissance, PC6 and PC7 are all more interesting and taste better to me. To think I could have bought eight bottles of Laphroaig CS for the same money as the Supernova and Octomore cost - uugh what a waste!!! It's probably just my taste but I don't understand how Serge could have given these two 89 points, I wonder if JM will heap praise on them too.
borgom
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder