Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Livening-up less than perfect malts

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Livening-up less than perfect malts

Postby St.Peat » Fri Aug 03, 2001 10:06 pm

Have you ever gone-in for an inexpensive single malt, hoping it is the world's best-buy; a great find at a great price? Have you ever found that malt was, indeed, less than perfect? Me too.

I have found that the Dun Bheagan Islay-8YO is definitely a young Lagavulin, all sexy and anxious, yet without the voluptuousness and refined charm of her older sister, the OB 16YO. I found today that all she needed was the proper Teacher . . . The addition of your own measure of Teacher's blended rounds her out nicely Image

I have found another nice application of this method of Teaching -- find it on The Howff (URL- http://www.whiskyweb.com/howff/), -- the thread title is 'If you like Frogs, try this'. [Frogs = Laphroaig OBs] Any other psuedo-vat ideas out there?

For Lex: I was inspired by the article I read in your Journal Image

Not sure if this works as well with other blends. BTW, are Islay Mist, and Black Bottle even attainable in the U.S.?

Blessings on you all, especially the unpure Image
St.Peat (far from pure)

[This message has been edited by St.Peat (edited 03 August 2001).]

St.Peat
Bronze Member

The BLACK BULL is Loosed!!

Postby St.Peat » Fri Aug 31, 2001 8:27 am

Hi, all -- I have been asking around about a blended scotch called Black Bull. It is something of a find at 50% ABV. It says it's "blended and bottled by George Willshire & Co. Ltd., Dundee, Scotland -- imported to the US by John Gross & Co., Baltimore, Maryland".

I bought it last night and tasted it just now. I purchased it at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, California, at $33 US, in a screw-top 750ml bottle. http://www.beltramos.com/

My first impressions are: it doesn't seem as strong as 50% ABV. Perhaps that is an attribute. It has a complex taste that is reminiscent of The Macallan, but also a bit of back-of-the-tongue/soft palate Bowmore-10. Probably a similar perfumey note as the B-10 that does that, though it isn't as strong in the nose. There weren't any typical Islay characteristics to speak of, so this may just be a similar perfumey-ness, rather than indicative of Bowmore in the blend. The finish is nice and long, and whatever sherried malt they used (Mac?) comes through in the early moments of the finish, tapering off after a bit. I really enjoyed this one -- both neat, and lightly diluted.

These notes are somewhat primitive -- I have only tasted about two dozen malts so far, and only purchased 15 for my cabinet, so if someone with a more experienced nose and palate wishes to find the Bull and enter the ring, be my guest! Image

Any more 100-proof blends out there?
Slainte!! -- St.Peat

[This message has been edited by St.Peat (edited 31 August 2001).]
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Opi » Mon Sep 03, 2001 10:19 pm

Hi Peat,
you should look for William Grant´s 100° Proof Superior Strength Blended. (Grant from the Balvenie and the Glenfiddich). There exists also many different bottlings of Grant´s : e.g. Family Reserve (no age), Classic (18yo)
A good opportunity to compare the 100° proof with the more regular versions.

Slainte Opi.
Opi

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder